Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > GLOCK 26 firing issue with reloads

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2013, 01:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default GLOCK 26 firing issue with reloads

Hi - I'm new to the forum and the glock world. I'm hoping some of the experts here can help with a small issue I'm having with my glock.

first, I reload all my own ammo - been doing that for years - never had any issues with them (until now)...

my glock 26 will fire the first round normally, but the second round will not fire - I can repeat this issue consistently. the primer on the second round has not been struck in each instance.

the reloaded rounds are range brass cases that have been resized - bullet is a RN hard lead cast 115gn, winchester primers, 4.3 grains of UNIQUE powder. OAL ranged from 1.098" to 1.2" - anything outside those parameters was removed from service. These same rounds function normally in any of my other 9mm weapons.

I purchased a box of factory winchester 9mm ammo and it functions flawlessly in my GLOCK.

anyone care to offer opinions on why the reloaded ammo does not function correctly?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-25-2013, 01:48 PM   #2

Liked 1744 Times on 1049 Posts
Likes Given: 369

First, Glock specifically states not to use cast bullets, because if the polygonal rifling. It will build up lead faster which can lead to excessive pressures.

The 26 with its heavy dual recoil spring also may not like light loads. It sounds like the slide may not go all the way to the rear and reset the striker.

I've had a 26 for over 10 years. I feed it reloads occasionally but use jacketed bullets only and run a slightly hotter load.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:53 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the response Doc - I was thinking the same thing too. I am still working up hotter loads (and with jacketed bullets as well). I get that "click" on the second round (when I pull the trigger) that tells me the hammer strikes the firing pin - with that, isnt the striker being 'reset' still? This is very confusing and annoying to say the least...lol.

Again, THANK YOU for the input - I look forward to any info and advice you care to offer - its greatly appreciated too...

J

PS. this is my first GLOCK so I have to plead some ignorance on the functionality of these guns....

Old 06-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7610 Times on 3314 Posts
Likes Given: 1129

Doc nailed it- not enough power to FULLY cycle the action. And, as he said, if you have polygonal rifling standard to a Glock, lose the lead bullets.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:30 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks guys - I'll work up some different loads and give it another go...

Old 07-01-2013, 02:37 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

just an update - you were dead-on guys! not enough power to fully cycle the pistol...loaded up more shells with 115RN FMJ; 5.5gn unique and voila!! works like a hose!! Thanks for the help!!

Old 07-01-2013, 05:32 PM   #7

Liked 61 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Not that anybody cares, but I actually read the manual on the G30 Gen4 I bought last week. It actually says do not shoot reloads or remanufactured ammo through the gun. What? A Glock? I've put a bunch of this ammo down the pipe with my other Glocks and never had a problem. My M&P.... Yes. My Glocks....never.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:42 PM   #8

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by danolator View Post
Not that anybody cares, but I actually read the manual on the G30 Gen4 I bought last week. It actually says do not shoot reloads or remanufactured ammo through the gun. What? A Glock? I've put a bunch of this ammo down the pipe with my other Glocks and never had a problem. My M&P.... Yes. My Glocks....never.
Glock says that so if you screw it up with bad reloads it's not their fault. Guess what all the pros that shoot on team glock use.. Reloads

Old 07-01-2013, 07:48 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'd be willing to bet that almost every manufacturer doesnt want you to shoot reloads...probably a warrenty issue...to each his own - I'll continue to shoot my reloads...and take my chances

Old 07-03-2013, 03:11 PM   #10

Liked 115 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Could I offer a humble suggestion?

DO NOT USE RELOADS IN A GLOCK. PERIOD. YOU ARE JUST ASKING FOR TROUBLE.

On every single gun forum I've been on, I've read repeated stories of "problems with reloads" ... and the silly thing it is always asked with a note of shock. Hey, my Glock doesn't do well with my "do it yourself" ammo, even though I'm using Great-Grandpappy-Bobby Joe's recipes!
kryptar19 Likes This