Glock 26 for CCW? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Glock 26 for CCW?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2010, 09:14 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

7 yards is not a waste of time. As stated above most (<90% I believe) gunfights occur with in 10 yards. If someone is 25 yards away, then they can't be too much of a threat. Most of the time that I practice inside 10 yards I'm shooting at a fairly fast rate, which is what you'd be doing in a gunfight.

That said, 25 yards is great fun and very practical for longer barreled revolvers.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:35 PM   #22

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterGA View Post
I don't need to shoot 100 rounds through the same 2" hole in a target @ 7 yds, in order to feel proficient.

I generally shoot my handguns @ ranges starting @ 15-20 yds and working out to 100 yds. Most of the shooting I do is for fun, with nothing in my mind at the time relative to s.d. If, by some strange quirk of fate, I have to use my carry piece @ 100 yds, I'll feel pretty confident in my ability to inflict damage (hopefully death) at that range.
OK, if you are familiar and experienced with a certain pistol, then 15-20 yards is a practical distance to practice at. However, I'm gonna have to say that there is no way in hell you will inflict damage to a human with a CCW at 100 yards. It is not possible. Some of the best shooters I know top out at 100 yards with a scoped (sometimes rested) long barrel revolver.

I also doubt you can put 100 rounds through a 2" hole at 7 yards.

Lets be realistic here.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:56 PM   #23

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
If, by some strange quirk of fate, I have to use my carry piece @ 100 yds, I'll feel pretty confident in my ability to inflict damage (hopefully death) at that range.
Before I call BS on your reasoning here sir, because I know that hitting a target @ 100 yards with a pistol is doable and it is done many times, but could you please give me an example of a "quirk of fate" that would require you to use your carry handgun in a SD scenerio, that would require you to fire at someone @ 100 yards?

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 03-03-2010, 10:33 PM   #24

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

You know, we have a very good pistol shooter here by the name of SgtMiller.

As a challenge, he did a 50 yard pistol shoot, (1) mag, no warm up, on an 8 inch target with his 1911. He posted the results on YouTube.

He hit the target, I think, 5 out of 8 times. The results were far from impressive, but it was 50 yards with a 5" barrel.

Now this is a guy that has some serious pistol shooting chops. He isn't world class. He isn't a competition guy. But he is someone who likes to shoot and is quite good at it.

Anyone shooting their 4 or 5 inch barrel length pistol at 100 yards and claiming they are scoring hits all day long is one of two things.

1. Either they have spent a sh*tload of money blowing ammo to get the right trajectory to be able to hit a target and impress the rest of the fanboy nation on Youtube like that Glock idiot and his 250 million yard shot on a steel gong. Or...........
  2. They are relying on the Interwebz Anonymity and the gullibility of those that read what they post.
In either event, both posts are going to be met with the same action.

*yawn* Next Thread.....

Old 03-03-2010, 10:44 PM   #25

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Nope. In my opinion, I'd be wasting my time...at least I'd be bored as hell!

If you think close distance practice is boring, then why not set up targets at close range, but do fast moving drills, ala IPSC?

Surely that might be also more applicable to CC anyway? Unless the BG is always going to helpfully stand still...

A caveat on that: have to admit my knowledge of self-defence via firearms is precisely zilch, for legal reasons...just putting a suggestion out there

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 03-03-2010, 11:44 PM   #26

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
My local range isn't set up for fast-moving drills. I can shoot fast, but not "fast moving." Guess I'll just take my chances!

OK no worries. I don't know how ranges are set up in the US...we can only shoot competitively here, no plinking. So it's all about movement...

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 03-03-2010, 11:58 PM   #27

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

So far off topic this is pointless.....

Closed Thread