Glock 26 for CCW? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Glock 26 for CCW?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2010, 01:59 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

It just takes practice, practice, practice.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 02-27-2010, 04:38 AM   #12

This is 60 rounds for CCW qualifying. Two guns, 30rds with double action S&W Mod 65-3, and 30 rds with Glock 19. Both right and left handed. 7 yds.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:32 PM   #13

Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterGA View Post
Yep, 7 yds is a waste of time, in my humble opinion. At 7 yds, you could almost throw your piece at the perp!
I disagree as most studies I've seen say the usual range in a self-defense scenario is between 3-10 yards. I do a lot of practice at 5-7 yards, I guess in your opinion I'm wasting my time?

Old 03-02-2010, 04:53 PM   #14

Liked 34 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Gunfights occur at close distances. Some as close as an arms length away.

What Really Happens In A Gunfight?

Good article here about assumptions. My Gunfight - "Thinking Outside Your Box"

The Teuller Drill Gunfighting: The Teuller Drill and Its Applications

My Favorite!

TEN RULES OF A GUNFIGHT

1. Bring a gun. Preferably, more than one.

2. Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice.

3. Only hits count.

4. If your shooting stance is perfect, you 're not moving fast enough or using cover.

5. Keep shooting until the threat no longer exists; then stay alert until law enforcement arrives.

6. If you can choose what to bring to a gun fight, bring a rifle and a friend with a rifle.

7. Ten years from now, nobody will remember the details of caliber, stance, or tactics; only who survived.

8. If you are not shooting you should be moving, if not moving, reloading, if not reloading, running for your life.

9. Firearm accuracy is relative: most combat shooting standards will be more dependant on "pucker factor" than the inherent accuracy of the weapon.

10. Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it was empty.

Last edited by dunerunner; 03-02-2010 at 04:55 PM.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:08 PM   #15

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Yep, 7 yds is a waste of time, in my humble opinion. At 7 yds, you could almost throw your piece at the perp!
Pistols are best for targets and threats at 0-10 yards in close quarter situations, rifles and shotguns do much more damage than pistols. Shotguns are best for targets at 2-50 yards, and rifles are best for targets at 4-1000 yards.

Carry and be proficient with the most appropriate weapon for you, if not all of them. Most of us just carry a handgun, because it's much easier, less noticeable, and practical to do.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 03-02-2010, 08:26 PM   #16

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Nope. In my opinion, I'd be wasting my time...at least I'd be bored as hell!
Ok, if not 7yrds then how far should you practice for self defense?

Old 03-02-2010, 09:17 PM   #17

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
I disagree as most studies I've seen say the usual range in a self-defense scenario is between 3-10 yards. I do a lot of practice at 5-7 yards, I guess in your opinion I'm wasting my time?
Most of what I have read says even closer — that the average shooting takes place at 7 feet!

That doesn't stop me from shooting from 10 – 25 yards, just for fun, though.

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 03-02-2010, 10:21 PM   #18

Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts

Even within states that have the castle doctrine and have "relaxed" gun laws, it would be very difficult to claim self-defence at the distances some folks practice at. Seriously, if someone is 50 feet away - do they pose an imminent threat to your life and limb - and could you make the law believe this?

I hear folks mention that they may have to engage at greater than SD distances because they might need to engage "mall shooters" or intercede in a robbery in progress. IMHO, that task belongs to LEOs and my carry permit does not grant me any powers other than to defend myself or my family from immediate danger.

A carry permit does not make us cops - I'll leave that task to the capable folks like Robo...

Old 03-02-2010, 11:12 PM   #19

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts

Practicing at longer distances has its place. Actually shooting (not draw and take bead) at the close distances is sitting in the wheelhouse of the probability of an encounter where you actually have to use your piece in defense. If you think that you have a better chance of draining the lilly at McDonald's and walking into a situation where you may have to take some BG at the other end of the counter....then you are seriously mistaken. If you think that you might scare some intruder out of your house and you need to be able to hit the perp as he runs down your driveway then by all means forget the CQB shooting practice.

Oh, knowing where your aimpoint hits at 7 yards makes it easier to hit at 30 yards than in reverse....just sayin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 03-03-2010, 05:10 AM   #20

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

As LE we never shot at distances over 25 yards and even those distances were not encouraged. We only trained there so if we did shoot at that distance we could say we had been trained. With that said we were trained that most encounters occur at approximately 7 yards.

Now all I train with a HG is 15 yards or less for the reasons that NGIB posted. If I am at a distance greater than that, I can bug out and get to a safer distance.

I was also trained and other LE's have confirmed my training that when you are involved in a crime in progress type incident, you are better served as a good witness than an involved party.

As far as the OP. Yeah you can carry that, I CCW my G22 a lot.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Last edited by DarinCraft; 03-03-2010 at 05:31 AM.

Closed Thread