Glock 26 for CCW?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Glock 26 for CCW?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2010, 12:07 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Default Glock 26 for CCW?

Hi guys, I just bought a Glock 19 for ccw and it conceals pretty well I think except for form fitting t-shirts... When I bought it though almost every guy in the gunshop was telling me to get a 26 because it's smaller, just as easy to shoot, can take the G19 mags etc... So I hit the web and the consensus seems to be the same. I'm 6'2" 240lbs and a 34" waist (I'm fit). Any of you had the chance to carry both that can tell me if there is that big of a difference? I'm gonna keep the 19 either way, just wondering if I should grab a 26 also? I held them both at the same time comparitively and I just didn't see much size difference. BTW, I'm very accurate with my 19 which I thought was paramount for ccw.. Thank you all for your input!

In god we trust, all others we monitor...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-21-2010, 10:10 AM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The major difference, that matters, as far as carrying either one is that the grip of the 19 is longer than the 26 grip. Magazine extensions, or 17 or 19 mags will solve the problem for the reloads if the 26 is "too short", but the longer mags defeat the purpose for concealed carry. You will also get more "kick" from the 26 when you fire it. If you can properly conceal the 19 go with the 19. If you think that you need a smaller frame, than go with the smaller frame. Carry what you are comfortable with and confident in. I have both, the 19 is for duty and the 26 is for off duty. Each one has it's place and method of carry. Actually, I use G-17 mags for my reloads for both weapons.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 02-21-2010, 03:34 PM   #3

Thanks glass: exactly what I was thinking... My friend who a San Bernadino Sheriff in CA says to carry a backup. Maybe a j frame .38 or something. I told him I'm not a leo, the glock is my backup plan! lol seriously though I assume your an leo or armed security by your response, what is your opinion on civilian backup carry?

Old 02-21-2010, 09:39 PM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Yep, LEO for almost 28 years. For a civilian, unless you are in a really bad area, you probably don't need a back up, but you never know when the S*** will hit the fan. You aren't walking around with a target on your back (ie LE uniform) so you have an advantage and aren't at as much risk of losing your primary carry. Unless you absolutely have no other choice, observe and be a great witness. Handle things the way you handled them at your apartment.

You could consider a good knife as a "back-up."

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by Glasshartt; 02-21-2010 at 10:10 PM.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:21 AM   #5

Cool, my thoughts exactly. Trust me, last thing I want to do is pull a gun on someone. But I was also robbed and pistol whipped about 6 years ago, and I swore I'd never be a victim again... Thank you for your service in LE. A lot of people don't realize what crap you guys deal with every day.

Old 02-22-2010, 01:33 AM   #6

I have a G26 as my CCW and love it. Make sure you fire the G26 before buying it because it sounds like you have big hands and firing it with the 10 rd G26 magazine is a bit different than firing with the (G19) 15 round magazine in the G26. I practice with both at the range to become proficient. I have small-med size hands, size 7 in glove size. It takes some getting used to with the smaller magazine. Give it a try!

Old 02-22-2010, 03:36 AM   #7

Hi Dizzll, Give this article a look see.

My Choice in

MotorG20

Old 02-23-2010, 02:31 AM   #8

Thanks for your feedback Walter! I just got my MTAC holster today and it is very comfortable, only negative is I'm wondering if I should exchange for a left hand draw cuz it only completely disappears at 6 o clock. The gun itself does not print but rather my jeans stick out at the low point. I think I'm gonna shoot the 26 tomorrow at my local and maybe just grab one if it shoots and conceals well...

Old 02-23-2010, 06:52 PM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=WalterGA;234475]I love the G26. Contrary to somebody else's post, I don't feel that the G26 handles recoil any worse than a G19 or G17. /QUOTE]

It depends on the person. I may be a little more sensitive to it because I have had surgery on both wrists, both shoulders, one elbow and have broken the other elbow (all work related). It's not that bad, but since the pistol is smaller the energy has to go somewhere and the compound recoil spring assembly does not absorb all of it. It is just physics.

Quote:
Quote:

Old 02-24-2010, 12:16 AM   #10

Had to qual my g19 for ccw today and while I was there rented a g26 and a g30. G26 felt like a watergun lol... Pretty accurate (almost on with my g19), but I was all over the place with the 30. Although the 30 is about the same size as my 19, I think I'm gonna get one and just use a clip in the front of my pants. I can't believe how ****ty I was with the .45 round accuracy... Night and day, and I'm a big dude. It would be a real ego hit to think I can't "handle" a .45 when I'm strong as hell in the gym...

Closed Thread