Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Glock 23 Gen 4

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2011, 08:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 947 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 940

Default Glock 23 Gen 4

I thought I did a thread on my 23Gen4 I got last month but guess I didn't so here goes. Anyway, it's turning out to be a great pistol and I now trust it after a few range sessions.

Very glad I went with the Gen4, I was able to compare a Gen3 side by side with it at the gun shop and liked the feel of the smaller grip. The Gen4 was about $35 more but you got a third magazine which offset that pretty much. I don't mind the larger grip on my 22 Gen 2 but do prefer the short frame, especially on the smaller gun.

Also, buying at Impact Guns was the way to go since I got a 30-day range pass which let me get a lot of shooting in at their range. Just got back again this morning and of course you're not limited to just the gun you bought so that's a real deal. I've got another week so better get down there every day with a different set of guns!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 07-06-2011 at 08:27 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-08-2011, 12:37 AM   #2

Liked 374 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I'm glad You like the pistol! I havn't been able to shoot a Gen4 yet, so I am a little Jelly Anyway, I have a few questions: Firstly, How good is the grip compared to the Gen3, not including size variations. Secondly, what kind of groups do you get at 7 yds? I'm trying to get a consensus about glock 23's average grouping.

"You know what happens to men who go looking for blood? They find it." - Kind Old Man

Old 07-08-2011, 01:40 AM   #3

I don't have a Gen3 but forgetting size I did like the RTF of this one over the 23 Gen 3 I handled side by side in the gun shop. Compared to my 22 Gen 2 it's much easier to grip, the Gen 2s are pretty hard and slick. But after putting on Pachmayr Grip Gloves (which I love) on both, they are much closer.

Both the 23Gen4 and 22Gen2 routinely do 1" groups at 7 yards and POI is pretty much dead on POA. Off hand I don't always get that but from a rest it's quite easy to do or when I've got my breathing and vision down pat.

You should look at the Hickok45 video where he shoots the 23 at 200 yards! He doesn't have much problem hitting a gong at 75 either. Impressive shooting and well worth a look.

Glock 23 Gen 4 Hickok45 NIB

Glock 23 short test Hickok45

Glock 23 (Chapter 2)

Glock 23 Gen 2 vs 4 Comparison

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:44 AM   #4

Liked 374 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 59

wow, those are amazing groups compared to what I get! Looks like I'm just not doing my part I have seen these videos actually, and all I have to say is, " Holy $*#^ that guy is good"

"You know what happens to men who go looking for blood? They find it." - Kind Old Man

Old 07-08-2011, 01:55 AM   #5

Yeah Hickok is a great shot with most guns including the G23. You hear people say the 40S&W is hard to control in a compact size like the 23 but those videos don't lie, it is controllable and accurate.

And not many people put as much lead down range as Hickok45...

______

Old 07-08-2011, 02:02 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Yeah Hickok is a great shot with most guns including the G23. You hear people say the 40S&W is hard to control in a compact size like the 23 but those videos don't lie, it is controllable and accurate.

And not many people put as much lead down range as Hickok45...
The 40SW is my favorite round. I actually use my G23 as a "control" gun when I'm testing a new (or new to me) gun. I.e., if the new gun is shooting like cr*p, I pull out the G23 just to make sure it's not just me.

Old 07-08-2011, 02:22 AM   #7

For you guys the grip size may not seem like a deal breaker but for a lil guy like me, it makes all the difference in the world. I got a Gen4 22 & 17 for me and a Gen4 19 for my wife. I would have never bought them if not for the Gen4 grip size. And 1" groups at 7 yards is normal. A guy at my local range shot a 5 shot group with all shots touching the first.

BTW, Q, U in UT or ID? I got family that are LEOs for Weber County.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1931 – 2005

Old 07-08-2011, 05:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thadeuce View Post
For you guys the grip size may not seem like a deal breaker but for a lil guy like me, it makes all the difference in the world. I got a Gen4 22 & 17 for me and a Gen4 19 for my wife. I would have never bought them if not for the Gen4 grip size. And 1" groups at 7 yards is normal. A guy at my local range shot a 5 shot group with all shots touching the first.

BTW, Q, U in UT or ID? I got family that are LEOs for Weber County.
Yeah, I really like my 23Gen4's short frame, Thadeuce. Though I don't mind the larger grip on my full size 22Gen2, the smaller size is perfect on the compact 23.

Idaho, but like Utah too...

______

Old 07-08-2011, 06:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindOldMan View Post
The 40SW is my favorite round. I actually use my G23 as a "control" gun when I'm testing a new (or new to me) gun. I.e., if the new gun is shooting like cr*p, I pull out the G23 just to make sure it's not just me.
I have to agree 40S&W is getting to be my favorite pistol round and the G23 is hard to beat shooting it. Just got back from the range and took only the 22 and 23Gen4. Hard to fault either but the 23 sure is handy.

______