Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Glock Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   Glock 23 defense anmo (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/glock-23-defense-anmo-75628/)

marine04 11-04-2012 02:58 PM

Glock 23 defense anmo

Just wondering what you guys prefer in your glock. Hornady critical defense or federal hydrashok? I actually haven't fired either, but have been carrying the hydrashok. Didn't know which you guys feel are more reliable and have better expansion. I'm thinking of starting to buy up critical defense because it's cheaper but don't want to compromise quality.

Isis0927 11-04-2012 04:08 PM

Federal HST or Winchester Rangers.. Far, far better than critical defense or hydra shoks

mountainman13 11-04-2012 04:08 PM

First thing first is make damn well sure your gun cycles it reliably. Never carry an untested gun. How do you know you can consistently hit your target and that the gun consistently functions?

lyodbraun 11-04-2012 04:08 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I say stay away from the Hornadys period, they dont expand very well in all my testing into balistic gel, Ive also had some that failed to expand, and one of the critical defense in .380 not have enough powder in it to even poke a hole in the gel... I like Federal HST's there better than the Hydro shocks, and expand everytime, also Winchester Ranger T's work very well...

pic is of .45 .40. and 9mm HST's

kryptar19 11-04-2012 04:40 PM

The Hornady Critical Defense is the only ammo to pass the FBI trials with 100% results. It had the most CONSISTANT (key word) expansion and penetration. It is the only off the shelf ammo I will carry.
It also shoots more accurate for me, doing better than federal hydroshoks, Winchester PDX1, and Golden Sabers.

IMO Hornady makes the best OTS ammo for defense and hunting. Hornady or hand loads, that's my motto.

Hydro Shocks and Golden Sabers are probably the worst defense ammo out there. IMHO

Isis0927 11-04-2012 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kryptar19
The Hornady Critical Defense is the only ammo to pass the FBI trials with 100% results. It had the most CONSISTANT (key word) expansion and penetration. It is the only off the shelf ammo I will carry.
It also shoots more accurate for me, doing better than federal hydroshoks, Winchester PDX1, and Golden Sabers.

IMO Hornady makes the best OTS ammo for defense and hunting. Hornady or hand loads, that's my motto.

Hydro Shocks and Golden Sabers are probably the worst defense ammo out there. IMHO

You should look into the federal HSTs and Winchester rangers.. They're far better than critical defense. I've tested all of them and critical defense is sub par.

kryptar19 11-04-2012 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isis0927

You should look into the federal HSTs and Winchester rangers.. They're far better than critical defense. I've tested all of them and critical defense is sub par.

I'm just stuck on Hornady ammo, I've seen what their hunting and defense ammo can and will do every time you fire them. Plus Hornady has a track record for making the best ammo. I've had to many bad experiences with other brands, especially Remington and Federal, so I won't trust my life or the life of my family to them.

Defense ammo is all about what the shooter is comfortable and happy with. I just like the ammo they put out.

I'll look at the rangers tho, I haven't tested them yet.

danolator 11-04-2012 05:41 PM

Nobody likes Gold Dot? Like a big haymaker.

Isis0927 11-04-2012 08:45 PM

Gold dots decent

linuxuser3890 11-05-2012 04:36 PM

I carry handloaded XTPs because I get jacket separation with the other bullets I've tried. I guess the velocity is too high for some of them. :D
If I did carry off the shelf stuff I would have to go with the HST first and the Critical Defense next. In Arkansas it doesn't get cold enough for big clothing to make a bullet fail so, a standard hollow point works for me.