Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Glock Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   Glock 22 safeness (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/glock-22-safeness-30836/)

uBeRjon 08-25-2010 12:53 AM

Glock 22 safeness

I bought my first handgun a few days ago and plan to try it out very soon. I purchased a used law enforcement glock 22. I've always thought of glock as top notch and am very excited for my purchase, but I've read a couple of articles and threads on the danger of this gun exploding. I tried to find examples and proof on the frequency and although I've read about some instances, the number of stories doesn't seem to be as great as some would lead you to believe. So I guess my question I'm asking is for your opinions on if there is something inherently dangerous about the glock 22 (or glocks in general, but the 22 seems to come up the most) or is it no more dangerous than other guns and it's just a very popular gun and because of the number of this gun out there a couple malfunctions are ineviteble in any firearm.

Jpyle 08-25-2010 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uBeRjon (Post 337769)
I bought my first handgun a few days ago and plan to try it out very soon. I purchased a used law enforcement glock 22. I've always thought of glock as top notch and am very excited for my purchase, but I've read a couple of articles and threads on the danger of this gun exploding. I tried to find examples and proof on the frequency and although I've read about some instances, the number of stories doesn't seem to be as great as some would lead you to believe. So I guess my question I'm asking is for your opinions on if there is something inherently dangerous about the glock 22 (or glocks in general, but the 22 seems to come up the most) or is it no more dangerous than other guns and it's just a very popular gun and because of the number of this gun out there a couple malfunctions are ineviteble in any firearm.

Glock 22 has a rep for KB because of the supposed high pressure of the .40 S&W round and the unsupported chamber. In reality it is probably an urban legend yet it is the subject of endless debate and discussion. Most KBs have been traced to improper hand loads and/or lead bullets (a supposed Glock no-no)

TheSadPanda 08-25-2010 02:52 AM

Glock specifically says not to use handloads or lead bullets. You will be fine. Don't worry :) When it comes down to it, unless you buy a 1911, SOMEBODY will have soemthing bad to say about any gun. You bought a great gun and should be happy about your purchase!

hunter Joe 08-25-2010 04:16 AM

I put another couple hundred rounds through my Glock 22 Generation 3 tonight and still no Kaboom. I've been shooting this gun for a number of years, and by the way, I have never used anything but reloads in it. I have always used jacketed or plated bullets when reloading for all my handguns.

If and when the dang thing finally does blow up I guess I'll have to buy another striker style firearm, probably a Model 22 Generation 4.