Glock 22 disassembly issue
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum >

Glock 22 disassembly issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2013, 09:07 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 77 Times on 50 Posts

Default Glock 22 disassembly issue

I have a minor issue with my Glock. It's not really a problem, I'm just curious about it. When I'm disassembling it, after dry firing it I pull back on the slide then pull down on the slide lock and release the slide. Here's where the problem occurs, in order to remove the slide I have to pull the trigger again, and I know for a fact that I'm not pulling the slide back far enough to reset the firing pin because the gun does not actually dry fire. For some reason I have to pull the trigger again and the slide releases. Has anyone else ever heard about this or had it happen to them.
Otherwise, the gun has performed flawlessly with close to 1,000 rounds through it.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-10-2013, 09:12 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3538 Times on 2029 Posts
Likes Given: 1559

First, let some else attempt the disassembly and see if they have the same problems.

Has there been any mods done?

If something is not fitted correctly, or wears incorrectly, problems can arise. And if it does not work as it should according to owner's manual, I would be getting with Glock.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 12-10-2013, 09:16 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1618 Times on 1078 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Any chance, is this a Gen 4 model? I had the similar thing happen to mine, when you are reassembling it, make sure the slide goes on perfectly straight, the Gen 4 has like a little bubble sticking out of the firing pin, and it gets caught sometimes....

Old 12-10-2013, 09:18 PM   #4

Liked 1961 Times on 1033 Posts
Likes Given: 4288

I think I know what you're talking about...

You have very little slide travel before the trigger resets so it has to be in just the right spot to release the slide...

What I do is...with the trigger in the forward position, pull the slide back, (left hand) maybe 1/8 of an inch, depress the takedown lever, (right hand) then bring the trigger to the rearward position (left hand) while keeping the takedown lever depressed with the right hand. That should release the slide...

Clearing the gun first being a given...

Last edited by vincent; 12-10-2013 at 09:28 PM. Reason: To make it more confusing...;)
purehavoc Likes This 
Old 12-10-2013, 09:24 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4689 Times on 3162 Posts
Likes Given: 2366

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanKaz View Post
I have a minor issue with my Glock. It's not really a problem, I'm just curious about it. When I'm disassembling it, after dry firing it I pull back on the slide then pull down on the slide lock and release the slide. Here's where the problem occurs, in order to remove the slide I have to pull the trigger again, and I know for a fact that I'm not pulling the slide back far enough to reset the firing pin because the gun does not actually dry fire. For some reason I have to pull the trigger again and the slide releases. Has anyone else ever heard about this or had it happen to them.
Otherwise, the gun has performed flawlessly with close to 1,000 rounds through it.
Try to barely nudge the slide back to operate the pull down tabs. As little travel back as possible.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:34 PM   #6

I appreciate the quick responses. First of all, it is a gen 3 rtf2. Second, I've disassembled several Glocks particularly Glock 22s, so I'm certain that I am not pulling the slide back too far when I'm disassembling it. As I said before, besides this minor issue, the gun has been flawless. Lastly, I have not done any mods to it. It is as it was, direct from the factory.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:35 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3590 Times on 1845 Posts
Likes Given: 401

If you pull the trigger a second time and it "snaps" this is your answer. The only way for the pistol to give you this issue is if you are, in fact, pulling the slide back too far, far enough to reset the trigger

Old 12-12-2013, 02:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
If you pull the trigger a second time and it "snaps" this is your answer. The only way for the pistol to give you this issue is if you are, in fact, pulling the slide back too far, far enough to reset the trigger
No. I'm positive I'm not resetting the firing pin. When I pull the trigger the only thing that happens is the trigger assembly moves. I know the difference between that and when the firing pin is actually "firing".

Old 12-12-2013, 02:46 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4689 Times on 3162 Posts
Likes Given: 2366

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanKaz View Post
No. I'm positive I'm not resetting the firing pin. When I pull the trigger the only thing that happens is the trigger assembly moves. I know the difference between that and when the firing pin is actually "firing".
Are you also positive that the slide won't go forward without pulling the trigger again? A little wiggle and a steady push won't help?

Old 12-12-2013, 06:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
Are you also positive that the slide won't go forward without pulling the trigger again? A little wiggle and a steady push won't help?
I'm not sure about that. I'm so used to the Glock slide practically falling off on its own that I never really tried to push or wiggle it off.