Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > glock 20

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2011, 02:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default glock 20

I'm gonna be gettin a glock soon. My first handgun. I'm really leaning to the the glock 20 10mm. But I really like the glock 22 also. Which is a better buy?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-11-2011, 03:41 PM   #2

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullets4days
I'm gonna be gettin a glock soon. My first handgun. I'm really leaning to the the glock 20 10mm. But I really like the glock 22 also. Which is a better buy?
Are you using this primarily for a carry gun/self defense/home defense or target plinking or both? The G20 is a powerhouse but ammo is kinda hard to find sometimea and very expensive to just go plinking at the range. The G22 offers great stopping power and is a lot more inexpensive to take to the range to get some trigger time in. When it comes to self defense never go cheap but saying that you need to buy a handgun that will fit your pocketbook as well. A box of 50 rounds for 10mm auto is gonna run you around $25. A box of 50 rounds for .40 S&W is gonna run you around $15. (Give or take a couple of bucks on both) I personally own a G17 9mm. I've had it since the end of January and shot close to 3,000 rounds so far. I shoot at least once a week and by no means am I "well off" but I'm comfortable. I pay about $23 for 100 rounds if I buy factory ammo and a lot cheaper when I reload. Just something to think about when choosing. I want all the trigger time I can get to stay on top of my game. You're making a wise decision wanting to buy a glock. Any model you choose will be a good investment in personal defense.

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 07-11-2011, 05:41 PM   #3

It's going to be my carry gun, self and home defense gun. I mean I have a sks close to me at home when I sleep but I really want a handgun. Everybody I kno has a .40 so I want something different. The price doesn't bother me that much. Also does the the 10mm come in gen 4 ?

Old 07-11-2011, 06:21 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Yeah, .40 is a popular caliber, but it seems kind of odd to discount it based on the fact that many people use it. Heck, many people use shampoo. I know one person who claims that washing hair in urine is good for the scalp. He is not very popular, even if his scalp is healthy. For that matter, many people like Glocks.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:39 PM   #5

In no way am I saying that. I plan on the g22 being my second glock.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:52 PM   #6

Quote:
In no way am I saying that. I plan on the g22 being my second glock.
How much time have you had w/a handgun ?

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 07-11-2011, 10:15 PM   #7

Well not that much I've used a 9mm and a .380 ruger. I don't remember what the 9 was but not that much.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:50 PM   #8

You'll find that 20 to be a handful and as of yet it does NOT come in Gen4 version.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1931 – 2005

Old 07-12-2011, 12:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Well not that much I've used a 9mm and a .380 ruger. I don't remember what the 9 was but not that much.
I agree with thadeuce, going from a .380 or 9mm to a 10mm is quite a big jump in "handling". .380's and 9mm's are pretty similar, try shooting a .45 first before making your decision. They can be quite a handful if you haven't had a lot of experience w/handguns. I love shooting my brothers Kimber 1911 and due to the weight factor theyre not too hard to handle. Unloaded weight of a Glock 20 is a little over 27oz. Full size 1911 around 30-33 oz and add a loaded mag close to (standard 7 round) 40-45 oz. A g20 loaded is a little over 39 oz. So weights are comparable so shooting a 1911 should feel close to the same weight as a G20. But, there will be a little difference between the way thwy shoot. At least this way you can feel the weight in your hands for comfortability.

~John F. Kennedy

Old 07-12-2011, 02:09 AM   #10

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts

I was looking long and hard at the various Glock offerings in 9mm for a number of reasons. 9mm is a much more affordable load. There is an abundance of variations of 9mm from dirt cheap practice rounds to some great HD loads. The 9mm guns can usually hold a couple more rounds than their larger caliber counterparts. Many studies of "stopping power" (or whatever term you wish to throw in) have broken down various calibers as to how many rounds it takes to drop an attacker. None of the calibers in the reports I have read averaged 1 round, so I wanted a caliber that will allow for a comfortable and convenient follow up shot. I am not saying that 9mm is the end all be all round to end the debate, just my perspective on this caliber and why I chose it over many other capable calibers. I am a fan of anything that gets the job done, these are just my 2 cents...