glock 19 gen 3 vs. glock 19 gen 4? (need advice)
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > glock 19 gen 3 vs. glock 19 gen 4? (need advice)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2011, 04:14 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default glock 19 gen 3 vs. glock 19 gen 4? (need advice)

Hello marksmen! I have had a hard time choosing between the two. This is my first gun purchase and glocks really catch my eye. I've done some research online and have heard a few bad things about gen 4s. So I need your help, I don't want to get dissapointed. (If I go gen 3, I will get it used if I go gen 4 it will be new.)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-09-2011, 04:18 PM   #2

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Either one will be just fine,but my choice is the gen3. Its appearance for me though, i dont like all of the stippling on the grip of the gen4

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 12-09-2011, 07:00 PM   #3

Liked 1030 Times on 724 Posts
Likes Given: 1029

It really depends on what you like best. Early this year I bought a new G23 Gen 4 and love it. Then recently I bought a used G27 Gen 3. Love it too. But all things being equal, especially reliability, I'd rather have a Gen 4 because of the short frame.

Reliability really hasn't been an issue on the new Glock .40S&W but as you've heard the Gen 4 in 9mm has got a lot of bad reports. I think the very latest ones with the new RSA, extractor and ejector are ok, so if you get a Gen 4 you might want to look at the date of the test fired cases and the number on the ejector and RSA. Get one with a date of 11/2011 and latest parts #s.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:18 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 231 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 65

I own the G19Gen4. It works great and has fired 1300 rounds without problems. The only problem it had was when it used Tulammo brand.
Price difference between the Gen3 and 4 is only $50. But you get 3 mags instead of 2. I heard Gen4 has RSA problems but Glock will replace & ship the new RSA for free. I bought mine on November and it had the new RSA with 043 marking on it.

I love my G19Gen4.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:20 PM   #5
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Go to your local range and rent one of each, I prefer the feel of the Gen 3 over the Gen 4. All in prospective, can not go wrong with either choice.

Old 12-11-2011, 12:08 AM   #6

Does anyone know what serial number range to shoot for (no pun intended) as far as gen 4s that are most reliable?

I remember hearing something about how the newer (more reliable) gen 4s have at least an "F" in their serial number..? What is the truth to this?

Old 12-11-2011, 04:00 AM   #7

You can still get Gen 3's new if you want... my LGS had at least 4 of the Gen 3's on the shelf right next to the Gen 4's.

Price was about 50 bucks cheaper for the Gen 3's.

Old 12-11-2011, 02:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molotov View Post
Does anyone know what serial number range to shoot for (no pun intended) as far as gen 4s that are most reliable?

I remember hearing something about how the newer (more reliable) gen 4s have at least an "F" in their serial number..? What is the truth to this?
No truth at all in SNs starting with F, that's way before Gen 4s were released. I suspect Gen 4s are well in to the Rs and may be even S. My 23Gen4 from 2/2011 has a prefix of RDL.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-11-2011, 02:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
You can still get Gen 3's new if you want... my LGS had at least 4 of the Gen 3's on the shelf right next to the Gen 4's.

Price was about 50 bucks cheaper for the Gen 3's.
But you do get an extra magazine with the Gen 4, (3 vs. 2 in red label boxes). At the time I bought my 23Gen4 the price difference was $35 which was a good deal for the new model plus an extra magazine (if you liked the Gen 4).

______

Old 12-11-2011, 03:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
But you do get an extra magazine with the Gen 4, (3 vs. 2 in red label boxes). At the time I bought my 23Gen4 the price difference was $35 which was a good deal for the new model plus an extra magazine (if you liked the Gen 4).
That's true.... good point. You would think they figured out the problems by now with the Gen 4's and have taken care of them. I'm in the market for a G19 and I think I'll probably go with a new gen 4.