Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Glock Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   Glock 19 Gen 3 vs Gen 4 REVIVED!!! :O (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/glock-19-gen-3-vs-gen-4-revived-o-88153/)

JoeLopez24 04-04-2013 03:46 PM

Glock 19 Gen 3 vs Gen 4 REVIVED!!! :O

Hello All,

I know this thread has been discussed numerous times, but let me revive it with a new scenerio.

Living in New Jersey, I got my handgun permit that will allow me to purchase ONE handgun until the end of August!! So I have about 5 months left. I really want a Glock 19. The local store has the Gen 3 and can still order gen 3's. The gen 4's sell out quick.

I was wondering, should I get the gen 3 or take my chances waiting and searching for the gen 4? Are there any substantial differences? Will aftermarket part be difference between the two? I plan on changing the sights as soon as I get one. Is the recoil spring that much better for the gen 4?

FrontierTCB 04-04-2013 04:30 PM

If it were me I would go on and get the gen 3 since it is available. You never know what may go down as far as gun laws between now and August.
As far as the recoil spring you can order one for about $25.00 I just ordered one for my G22 a couple weeks ago. But from what I understand the spring issue when the gen 4s came out was that they were using the same spring as the .40's and it was too stiff for 9mm causing malfunctions. So any gen 3 or newer gen 4 should not be a problem.

scherfinator 04-04-2013 04:44 PM

I had the same question but opted for the gen 3. The Gen 3 has really had no major issues from what I have read.

JoeLopez24 04-04-2013 05:10 PM

Do you think the new recoil spring will outlast the older model's?

this will prob be my SHTF gun and want it to last a lifetime...

Everything after this gun is going to be for my collection and range use. This will be my EVERYTHING gun and want it to be perfect. I sold my only other Pistol (Ruger p90) and want to make sure I pick the right one, cuz living in jersey it is such a hassle to get a new firearm.

Kraj 04-04-2013 10:00 PM

I have a gen 4 19 and I don't see any reason why I wouldn't trade it for a gen 3. I shoot right handed so the mag release isn't going to be moved. The recoil spring in the gen 3 9mm worked fine. I use the medium back strap which is the same as a gen 3 with no back straps. If you don't have a reason to get the gen 4 and gen 3 will last you a long time, buy what you can and enjoy yourself

danolator 04-05-2013 10:27 AM

I have a 19 & 22 in Gen 4. Being a lefty, the mag release on the right side is a big deal. And it is nice being reversible in the event I would ever want to sell them, which I won't.

JoeLopez24 04-05-2013 02:36 PM

I am a lefty shooter as well.... I live by my left hand. That being said, it is a RIGHTIES WORLD! (SUCKS FOR ME). I learned how to manipulate all controls with my left hand so I can pick up any gun. Hell, I find using the mag release on the left side with my middle finger and slide lock with my trigger finger faster than using my thumb. Im also a bigger guy so I wont be using palm swells.

Main concern for me is the new spring. Is it worth waiting for the gun? If not, Ill be picking up a gen 3 and buying an extra mag.

FrontierTCB 04-05-2013 02:53 PM

Don't worry about the spring. The spring in the gen 3 will last most people a lifetime. If you are that concerned about it, like I said you can order a new one off AMAZON for $25, I bought an extra just to have on hand a couple weeks ago. I didn't need it it's just a backup.
After 12 yrs my gen 3 G22 still functions flawlessly all stock.

JoeLopez24 04-05-2013 02:58 PM

Thanks for the Reassurance Frontier... Lets see what the future holds for me...

Im really excited about picking up a brand new Glock. A lot of people knock them for stupid reasons. I dont see why. its not a fashion contest. Its a tool.

AgentTikki 04-08-2013 11:22 PM

Are you a lefty? if so get the gen 4

Are you are righty? get the gen 3.