Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Glock Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   Glock 19 Gen 3 or Gen 4?? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/glock-19-gen-3-gen-4-a-86521/)

jumusiq 03-14-2013 12:43 PM

Glock 19 Gen 3 or Gen 4??

Trying to decide between a Glock 19 Gen 3 or Gen 4. Any advice from Glock users??

deadsp0t 03-14-2013 12:56 PM

Had a gen3 fora loooong time.. Was a great pistol

Vincine 03-14-2013 01:05 PM

I got a gen 4 because I could make the grip thinner than the standard Glock grip. It occasionally tossed a case back at my head. Glock has since changed the ejector. Mine is at Glock now having the ejector replaced. If I had to do it over I would have gotten the Glock 23. It's a .40. You can put a 9mm barrel in it. This would allow you to use either caliber. Good to have the flexibility in times of tight of ammunition supply.

If you haven't already, do try a S&W M&P 9 mm to see if you like it better.

kirbinster 03-14-2013 02:17 PM

I went with a Gen4 G22 because I liked the grips better, and because I believe technology is always moving forward and there must be a reason Glock came out with a newer design. Sure it could be just to save manufacturing costs, but I think the design of the new recoil spring makes sense. As the previous poster said the nice thing about the .40 cal is you can get a conversion barrel (I got a KKM) and then you can shoot 9mm also - so you have two guns in one. Right now I can hardly find 9mm ammo and what I do find costs more than the .40 cal that is easier to find. It gives you options.

jumusiq 03-14-2013 02:46 PM

Yea I just bought a .40 shield you can say by mistake lol. Went back in for the 9 instead and it was sold I'm a matter of 5 mins. You can also drop a 9mm barrel in it which is on back order. I was trying to sell it but its growing on me Lol. In reference to the Glock I'm getting an amazing price for the 19 and it's the same for both gens. I appreciate the info guys. I want to get those most bang for the buck.

g17frantz 03-14-2013 08:35 PM

It depends on how much stuff you want to add to it. Parts are much more available for the Gen 3. If you like them plain Jane, the Gen4 is a lot more ergonomic than the Gen 3. With that being said, I'm a huge Gen3 fan

Duval 03-14-2013 08:40 PM

I have a gen 3 G19 and really enjoy it, I haven't handled a gen 4 though, so I can't compare. I carry my G36 the most.

dango 03-14-2013 09:08 PM

The only profound change in the 4th gen was the recoil spring..!
Buy either and if the early gen. 4 , get single style recoil spring and all is well!
Swap out and put that double spring on a shelf..!

FrontierTCB 03-14-2013 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dango
Buy either and if the early gen. 4 , get single style recoil spring and all is well!

I agree. You can get them fairly cheap. I just ordered replacement springs for my G22 and G27 off AMAZON. No issues, just wanted to change them out because they are getting some years on them. Took about 3 days for delivery.

Vincine 03-14-2013 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dango (Post 1176073)

The end of the slides the recoil springs fit in look different between the gen 4 and gen 3. Are you sure the springs are interchangeable? As far as profound changes; the gen 4 grip adjusts to small, medium & big hands.