You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum >

Glock 17 --- Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2010, 06:31 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default Glock 17 --- Questions

My wife is set on a Glock 17 (Gen 3). I’m in full support. She and I have
tried the XD 9 and the S&W. We decided the Glock was best.
A few questions before we get it.
  • How much should we spend on it? What’s the max I should pay?
  • The range gun we used was beat to a pulp and never cleaned unless a malfunction.
    She experienced about a dozen malfunctions in just 60 or so rounds we
    fired through it. The people at the counter said it’s probably a “limp wrist”
    causing the next round to jam or previous brass to stovepipe. I would think
    the Glock 17 would function properly no matter the grip.
  • Has anyone heard anything about Gen 4 becoming available in CA?
    Should we hold out?
Anything else we should know about the Glock 17 before we make the leap?
"If the gun is cold to the touch, put Gloves on" -RustyShackleford101

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-08-2010, 03:14 PM   #2

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Pricing will vary according to your area. Here in Florida, the price varies just between the north and south parts of the state. Look around for a firearm forum that focuses on your region. Then check out their buy/sell/trade area, and that will give you an idea what guns go for in your area.

Limp-wristing can cause the problem your wife experienced, but if she wasn't having the problem with the other guns, then maybe it was something else. If she was shooting them all the same day, her wrist and arms might have been getting tired. Or if the other two guns had shorter grips, she might not have been pushing her hand to the top of the grip; holding a long-gripped gun near the bottom can have the same effect. Or it could just be that the gun was a filthy range beater, just like you said.

You might want to look at a Glock 19 (compact), or maybe even a 26 (subcompact). Since you're in California, as I understand it, you can only have a gun with a 10-round magazine, so the 17 won't give you any advantage in capacity. The bigger the gun, the more it absorbs recoil. So if you want a smoother shooter, the 17 is the way to go. If you want compact, the 26 is very small and very concealable (if that's going to be a consideration). Many people find the 19 to be the perfect balance of size and shootability. I'm not trying to make your choice for you; I just want to point out some options in case you haven't considered them.

I hope you and your wife enjoy whatever you end up choosing.

I don't really know enough about the 4th generation to give you much guidance. I do know that Glock released some 3rd generation models with the rough texture finish. So if that's the only 4th generation feature you are interested in, you might be able to find it without waiting for the 4th generation to become available.

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 06-09-2010, 04:09 AM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Get ur wife a judge can't go wrong with it i carry a glock 22 at work and its great but for the ladies the judge will give a final verdict on the bad guys.