Glock 17 mods
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Glock 17 mods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2014, 04:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Glock 17 mods

I got my first glock yesterday and have instantly been bit by the modification bug. My father in law is a gunsmith on the side and sells guns to a local tactical shop and in turn they sell him their old range guns. I picked up a 17 for 300 bucks and it looks and fires brand new.... Either way, im going to do the RSA to keep recoil down, id like a trigger (hear great things about the glock store pyramid trigger), upgraded sights and then that brings me to the slide. Id like to get a slide with slide cuts for less weight and also improved looks... But mainly for aesthetics. Im not looking to drop a bunch on the slide, can you guys recommend any good shops with decent prices? Im leaning towards glockmeister at the moment since they have a package for $100 but i dont want to limit myself to just them, let me know what you guys have gone with and as always pics are great. Also, what sights are you guys running? I have read the reports about night sites vs fiber optic so let me know what works for you guys...

Thanks guys

Last edited by crispybojangles; 09-06-2014 at 05:30 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-06-2014, 07:02 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1929 Times on 1337 Posts
Likes Given: 988

I have a red fiber optic front and a black unmarked rear from Arotek. They are better for sports. Night sights are for night duty or carry, they don't help your scoring at all.

Mine also has a reduced pull kit from Glockworx. I would not carry it for self defense.

I bought from Glockmeister before, they were fine.

Don't waste money on a beautiful slide. It's Botox. An aftermarket barrel - only to shoot lead. A steel guide rod will make it a little heavier, but will "guide" just the same.

IMO the Glock is not a great custom platform, because it is (almost) as good as it could be out of the box.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:07 PM   #3

Liked 2182 Times on 1289 Posts
Likes Given: 474

The Glock has a decent low bore axis which helps in recoil control. Lightening the slide will reduce top weight which could add muzzle rise, though having less reciprocating mass can have some benefits.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:23 PM   #4
Cancer Killa
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: -1 reviews

Liked 357 Times on 221 Posts
Likes Given: 645

I run Aimline sights on my Gen 4 26. The only mods to my personal Glocks are the Argyle Armoring Comp 1 Setup. My business, Argyle Armoring, started by doing modifications for Glock shooters. In fact, there are several competition shooters using my triggers in their Glocks with great success.

Owner/Armorer at Argyle Armoring, LLC - FFL 07
NRA Life Member
What do I know? I'm only a professional.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:30 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyle_Armoring View Post
I run Aimline sights on my Gen 4 26. The only mods to my personal Glocks are the Argyle Armoring Comp 1 Setup. My business, Argyle Armoring, started by doing modifications for Glock shooters. In fact, there are several competition shooters using my triggers in their Glocks with great success.
Just looked up your web site, good to know you're there!

Old 09-06-2014, 07:56 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1579 Times on 1077 Posts
Likes Given: 544

I would run several hundred rounds through the Glock before I did anything. I would fix the things that annoy me at that point. Just throwing parts at a gun to make it look cool is a good way to end up with an expensive dust catcher.

The first modification I would make is 1,000 rounds of ammo. Saves you from running to Walmart to get reamed for $15 a box for federal ball ammo. I can find Fiocchi Hollow Point ammo for less.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Last edited by John_Deer; 09-06-2014 at 08:03 PM.

Old 09-06-2014, 09:38 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I appreciate the replys guys, it would have been wiser if i mentioned what my goals were. This will be a range gun, i like to shoot and i reload so rounds will go through it. As i shot it i immediately noticed the sights and would like a decent aftermarket set up.

I completely agree that a slide with material removed from it would result in a rising barrel, but its the aesthetic look i want. Any other companies you guys have used that offer custom slides please post up.

Old 09-06-2014, 09:44 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
I have a red fiber optic front and a black unmarked rear from Arotek. They are better for sports. Night sights are for night duty or carry, they don't help your scoring at all.

Mine also has a reduced pull kit from Glockworx. I would not carry it for self defense.

I bought from Glockmeister before, they were fine.

Don't waste money on a beautiful slide. It's Botox. An aftermarket barrel - only to shoot lead. A steel guide rod will make it a little heavier, but will "guide" just the same.

IMO the Glock is not a great custom platform, because it is (almost) as good as it could be out of the box.

Why wouldnt you carry it? How sensitive are we talking? This gun might be used in some competition shooting but that doesnt mean i wont carry it from time to time...
Old 09-06-2014, 09:59 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1082 Times on 601 Posts
Likes Given: 450

I would be very careful about modifying anything functional (sights, trigger mechanism, mag release, slide release) and any warranty/repair work should be done by a Glock certified armorer.

Apart from a LaserMax guide rod, I have tritium sights on my 17 Gen 4.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:15 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispybojangles View Post
Why wouldnt you carry it? How sensitive are we talking? This gun might be used in some competition shooting but that doesnt mean i wont carry it from time to time...
Because of the higher risk of unintended discharge.