Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Glock Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   ? glock 17 or glock 22 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/glock-17-glock-22-a-70937/)

glock219 08-23-2012 08:10 AM

? glock 17 or glock 22

For first gun?

apowers1214 08-23-2012 12:26 PM

I love my 17. Not a huge fan of .40 cal.

RUT 08-23-2012 12:49 PM

I am a huge fan of the .40, but for a first gun I'd go with the G17. (or perhaps the G19 for that matter)

Yunus 08-23-2012 12:51 PM

I prefer the full size glock to the compact. They just fit in my hand better.

KeysKelly 08-23-2012 12:59 PM

Not al all a Glock fan here so I will answer it as which "Gun" would be a better first gun not which "Glock" would be a better first gun.

Although I don't care for Glocks they are very popular, well made and well liked guns with millions of them sold all over the world. Therefore they are very popular rental guns as well. Most ranges will rent guns to try before you buy. I would suggest you rent both of them and shoot them side by side one magazine out of each and rotate so you are equally as fresh and equally as tired when shooting both guns. Then decide which one is the best for you based on your shooting and your comfort after experiencing both of them. Everyone has different tastes in guns and everyone will shoot a particular gun better or worse than someone eles. I will again use my dislike for Glock to make this point. I do not like Glock, I do not shoot Glock well, I will never own a Glock but that doesn't make Glock a bad gun. They are great guns with millions and millions of happy Glock owners to back that fact up. The fact I use is the fact that I don't like the way they shoot for me. Glock is a great gun but not a good gun for me. Base your choice on your personal experience as it will be you against the bad guy if you ever have to use your gun to protect yourself. I won't be there and my opinion won't matter that day.

Fathead00 08-23-2012 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeysKelly
Not al all a Glock fan here so I will answer it as which "Gun" would be a better first gun not which "Glock" would be a better first gun.

Although I don't care for Glocks they are very popular, well made and well liked guns with millions of them sold all over the world. Therefore they are very popular rental guns as well. Most ranges will rent guns to try before you buy. I would suggest you rent both of them and shoot them side by side one magazine out of each and rotate so you are equally as fresh and equally as tired when shooting both guns. Then decide which one is the best for you based on your shooting and your comfort after experiencing both of them. Everyone has different tastes in guns and everyone will shoot a particular gun better or worse than someone eles. I will again use my dislike for Glock to make this point. I do not like Glock, I do not shoot Glock well, I will never own a Glock but that doesn't make Glock a bad gun. They are great guns with millions and millions of happy Glock owners to back that fact up. The fact I use is the fact that I don't like the way they shoot for me. Glock is a great gun but not a good gun for me. Base your choice on your personal experience as it will be you against the bad guy if you ever have to use your gun to protect yourself. I won't be there and my opinion won't matter that day.

So basically you wasted peoples time for posting nothing about the op. Very nice of you to do that for us.:). Anyways, I carry a GLOCK 35 .40 cal and I love it. I haven't had one problem with it and the recoil isn't bad. I have shot my Dads 19 and that was really smooth, so either way going to be great for you. You will just have to look at if you want to spend a little more on the gun and ammo. Both choices are great.

levelcross 08-23-2012 02:11 PM

If you are going to go with a full size Glock I would say the 17 to start with. Then the 22 if you want to move up to the .40.

The main difference is going to be felt recoil or the snap of the .40 round and a little price difference in ammo. Neither are huge differences just a little more muzzle flip and a few more dollars per 100 rounds for the .40.

CHLChris 08-23-2012 02:16 PM

For me, I see 40S&W as extracurricular. 45acp is the best (IMO) and 9mm is a close 2nd. So if I were going to get something other than 9mm, it would 45acp, not 40S&W.

Therefor, if it must be a GLOCK, then the 21 (or 21SF) would be my choice.

XDm45 4.5" is actually the better choice.

Sentry18 08-23-2012 07:45 PM

The Glock 17 would be a much better choice than the 22. Cheaper ammo, less recoil, less muzzle flip, less parts breakages, etc. Like others I don't necessarily feel that Glock is the best first gun for a new shooter, but you could do worse. However no matter which way you go please get some training by a reputable instructor first.

R3c0n5n1p3r 08-24-2012 07:16 AM

I own a 22 , 23 , and 30 I like the .40 it's close 2 the power of a 45 but mag capacity of a 9mm it's not bad all my glocks are modded but I love my G23 but I would pick the 17 just for cheaper ammo sure it's 2 more rounds in the mag but the 9mm is so so much cheaper 2 just go shoot and it's a food protection round can't go wrong with a 17 but I will suggest looking at the 19 small enough 2 hide large enough 2 carry and your accuracy won't b any diff like I said I love my G23 ...