Which Glock?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Which Glock?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2009, 04:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Which Glock?

I have been looking to get my first handgun. I'm leaning towards the Sub-Compact XD .40 cal. Which glock is the most similar? Really looking for something small..

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-03-2009, 07:52 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwimports View Post
I have been looking to get my first handgun. I'm leaning towards the Sub-Compact XD .40 cal. Which glock is the most similar? Really looking for something small..
i would go with the glock 27. its a subcompact in the .40 caliber

Old 04-04-2009, 12:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnykc View Post
i would go with the glock 27. its a subcompact in the .40 caliber
Thanks, going to start doing some research on it now..

Old 04-05-2009, 01:51 AM   #4

Default Glock...

Well, get a Glock 30 and be done with it. I shot one last week and it was scary accurate but it did have a nice kick to it. Pretty compact and you can carry the 13rd magazines as back-up when you're out and about. The G19 is very nice and would be cheaper to practice with of course. I'm still in awe of my first glock, which is a 2nd generation G22, but it's a bit more to carry around than a compact model. Still, it can be done...

Old 04-05-2009, 03:39 AM   #5

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

To each his own, but if you want no regrets on your first handgun, get a S&W M&P.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 04-05-2009, 04:15 AM   #6

When I hear a description on recoil in a positive note it tells me it's a young guy. I say good for him,I was into snappy recoil twenty years ago. When I
bought my son his first handgun it was a Glock in 40 cal.I still remember the
first day we took it to the range;he put magazine in raked the pistol and squeezed of the first two rounds and before the third one was going off the pistol was out of his hand on the ground.That being said,the next two glock
in my house were glock 17 and a glock 26 with 17 being my primary ccw
pistol.When I decide to step up to 45acp I have two nice firearms S&W99
and Springfield 1911.I am not a fan of the forty,as I shot them but I like
the old true and tried 45acp.Ammo makers have become very proficient when
it comes making the lighter bullets much more lethal.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnthmn2004 View Post
To each his own, but if you want no regrets on your first handgun, get a S&W M&P.
Ima +1 this because it's oh so true

Texas is where it's at!
Cheers,
Angry

Old 04-05-2009, 01:34 PM   #8

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I was dead set on buying a Glock for my first handgun. I asked my firearms instructor what he thought of Glocks and he said don't buy it just yet. He took me to the range with his S&W M&P 40, and he had to borrow a friends Glock 22 because he refused to buy one.

I was struggling to shoot the Glock accurately. The grip kept slipping with every shot (probably because my hands aren't rectangular), the trigger just felt wrong, and it was a bit snappy. He then handed me his M&P, and I had the biggest **** eating grin on my face because just from holding it, I knew why he wanted me to hold off on buying a Glock. Very comfortable ergonomically, easy to shoot, and I was getting VERY good groups for a beginner.

Glock was the pioneer of polymer frame handguns and they are never going to be forgotten for that. But there are several companies that make superior polymer frame handguns, kind of like the apprentice surpassing the mentor. I strongly suggest you look at, and rent/shoot, some other handguns before you buy a Glock. Try Smith and Wesson, Sig Sauer, and Springfield for starters.

Or you could just buy a 1911 and get it over with.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 04-05-2009, 03:46 PM   #9

Default Glock...

My range doesn't have any other polymer pistols available with the exception of a crappy Springfield XD9 Sub that failed to feed within the first magazine use. For some reason all of my shots were going to the upper left of center mass so I gladly returned it and smiled knowingly at my Glock. Then I rented a Glock 30 with much more recoil and shot the 45ACP round for the first time in my life. The center portion of the target was almost gone after one magazine, which was pretty good at around 20 feet for me, who is a beginner. Plus it was in Commie California with those BS magazine restrictions so regardless of caliber, I only had 10 shots. With the right grip, recoil isn't too bad.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:33 PM   #10

my main two ccw guns are a glock 19 and a glock 30. depending on what i am wearing. but i carry the glock 30 about 75% of the time. i like the way it feels in my hand. but i will try out the m&p soon.