Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Glock Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   Generation 4 glock 19 - what to install (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/generation-4-glock-19-what-install-95817/)

chrisgh 08-21-2013 07:35 PM

Generation 4 glock 19 - what to install

what would you consider to Install in brand new G4 Glock 19.
Does it still have stove pipe problems?
Thanks

vincent 08-21-2013 08:32 PM

What's the use of the gun?

EDC?

Plinker?

Competition gun?

Need more info...

robocop10mm 08-21-2013 11:14 PM

About 15 rounds of 9mm ammo. lather, rinse, repeat. Once you have a thousand rounds through it, come back and ask the same question.

RecklessRegard 08-22-2013 11:53 AM

Robo is correct. Shoot the heck out of it and decide what would make the gun better or more ergonomic for you. My 22 is bone stock and I'm happy with it. My 26 has a bunch of mods and that's how I like it. I put a ton of rounds down range in both guns before deciding what to mod or leave stock.

mountainman13 08-22-2013 12:19 PM

Judging based on some of the guys around here I'd say a ny trigger may be in order. Lol

SSGSF 08-22-2013 02:22 PM

How about buying a different gun .

davva360 08-22-2013 02:31 PM

I will echo what others have said. Shoot it first and see how you like it.

Personally I won't buy any gun unless I have shot one of them before. I would rather find out if I like it before I buy one and leave the internals stock. I don't see the point in buying a gun and then changing the trigger, sights, barrel, mag release, etc. If you need to change it that much you bought the wrong gun in the first place lol.

FrontierTCB 08-22-2013 02:35 PM

Like the others I suggest just adding ammo.

The ejection problems with the early gen 4 9mm's was corrected. If your gun is new there should not be an issue. If not Glock will replace the recoil spring with a lighter one at no charge.

DeltaF 08-23-2013 07:51 AM

A lot of the guys with the 19s say they have better recoil management and faster sighted pairs with a stinger tac-light on the front of it.

kbd512 08-23-2013 10:57 AM

You don't need to add anything or buy anything for a Glock except a pair of better sights, preferably something with tritium in it. Glocks weren't made to be target pistols or to be aesthetically pleasing, just functional and durable.

If your Glock has problems reliably feeding, extracting, and ejecting normal factory ammunition, then you need to have a Glock armorer replace the extractor and perhaps the ejector. The original design was flawed and Glock very slightly redesign the extractor and bent/twisted the ejector for reliable function in the new pistol.

Glocks don't have "break-in" periods. They either work from the box or they have issues that need to be addressed and if your Glock is stove piping regular factory ammo it has an issue that needs to be addressed.

Just as some people think they can install parts in a gun and make themselves better shooters, Glock stupidly thought that they could design a new pistol and put parts in it from previous generations of similar designs with no ill effects. They were wrong and they know that now, even if their corporate leadership has too much pride to admit that they made mistakes.

I have not noticed a bit of difference between Gen 3 and Gen 4 17's and 19's with respect to the supposedly better recoil management characteristics of the Gen 4 models. The Gen 4 has a better stippling pattern on the grip and inserts to fit the hand of the shooter and that helps with recoil management because you can better maintain your grip if your hands are sweaty, dirty, or greasy. Adding weight to the front of the pistol, in the form of a SureFire X300, is my solution to the weight distribution of a plastic pistol.

Incidentally, there's a company named Smith & Wesson that makes a more ergonomic Glock. They call their pistol the M&P 9.