Are the Gen4 Glock 19s as problematic as some people say?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Are the Gen4 Glock 19s as problematic as some people say?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2011, 12:18 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Are the Gen4 Glock 19s as problematic as some people say?

Hello all, this is my first post, this forum looks like its got some good people.

Well I'm now in the market for my first pistol. I'm a long time gun user having had shotguns and rifles and NRA certifications etc so Im no novice, however don't claim to be an expert or anything lol.

After much research and time at the range with a gen 3 glock 19, i like it, but honestly like the texture of the gen 4 better, probably because I don't have the years used to the previous glock grips under my belt. Anyways, we've all heard mixed things about the reliability of the gen 4s but is it really something to concern myself with? Is it true glock will replace the parts causing the issue?

Also do I need to request a gen 4 g19 with a certain range of serial number.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-11-2011, 12:54 AM   #2

Liked 1026 Times on 722 Posts
Likes Given: 1023

From what I've read the 19Gen4 still seems to be hit or miss but the latest ones with the new RSA, extractor, ejector and trigger bar would be the ones to look for. I think the two fired casings in the box must be dated 11/2011 to get the updates already installed. You can check the number on the ejector to see if it's the recent one also, I think the old one was marked 336 and the new one is a longer #.

I got a 23Gen4 earlier this year and love it so expect you'd be real happy with its 9mm twin. The 40S&W Gen 4s haven't had many problems but I did have Glock send me the new RSA though. I haven't bothered to get the latest extractor, ejector and trigger bar since mine hasn't exhibited any problems.

If you do buy a Gen 4 with problems Glock will send you a FedEx label to ship it back for updates. They won't send you the parts except for the RSA.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-12-2011, 03:10 AM   #3

I have a Gen4 G19 that I bought last spring and have about 2k factory rounds through it without a hitch, about half of the rounds fired in IDPA or Steel Challenge matches... Outstanding since the first round.

Sent from my iPad using FirearmsTalk

Old 12-12-2011, 03:49 AM   #4

Liked 72 Times on 46 Posts

No offense to the op, but I am tired of seeing the gen 4 vs. other gens. Please use the search feature and you will have more info than you can imagine. But imo the gen 4 is great.

Signing out, Alpha1victor.