Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Gen 4 Worth It?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2011, 01:09 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
g17frantz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Centralia, MO
Posts: 1,360
Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin
I haven't had any problems with my 23 Gen4 at all. Of course not to be expected especially in .40S&W but I'm glad I chose the new version.
Correct me if I'm wrong, weren't they having problems with the recoil springs w/the G22 and the G23 in the Gen 4's? Like they were putting the wrong spring weight or something? It might have been when they first come out. Anyone else hear of this?
__________________
GOFFA Council Member
Gun Owners For a Free America

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy
g17frantz is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:51 PM   #32
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Quentin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,512
Liked 973 Times on 684 Posts
Likes Given: 974

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by g17frantz View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, weren't they having problems with the recoil springs w/the G22 and the G23 in the Gen 4's? Like they were putting the wrong spring weight or something? It might have been when they first come out. Anyone else hear of this?
I haven't heard of this in the 40S&W Gen4s. Now the 17 and 19 Gen4s have had the RSA lightened a bit to improve functioning with lower powered 9mm like you'll find at Walmart, etc. There have been problems with extractors too. Guns since Feb/March seem to be ok but ones from last year may need the new RSA.
__________________

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.
________________________________________
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Quentin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:19 PM   #33
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
g17frantz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Centralia, MO
Posts: 1,360
Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin

I haven't heard of this in the 40S&W Gen4s. Now the 17 and 19 Gen4s have had the RSA lightened a bit to improve functioning with lower powered 9mm like you'll find at Walmart, etc. There have been problems with extractors too. Guns since Feb/March seem to be ok but ones from last year may need the new RSA.
Wow that's the first time I've heard about extractor problems, anything in specific?
__________________
GOFFA Council Member
Gun Owners For a Free America

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy
g17frantz is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:54 PM   #34
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 42
Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Default

i do think many of the problems are just about corrected, one thing to remember with gen4 models is hi powered ammo seems to work better and that was a lot of the early problems. from my very 1st glock many years ago i was always told to use hi grade ammo and i did and i have not had the problems many other shooters have had.

__________________
xd man is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:14 PM   #35
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Quentin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,512
Liked 973 Times on 684 Posts
Likes Given: 974

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by g17frantz View Post
Wow that's the first time I've heard about extractor problems, anything in specific?
For the last year or so Glock has used MIM extractors instead of the ones they used before. This affects Gen4 and recent Gen3s. Some people have modified their extractor or bought old Glock stock or Lone Wolf. The extractor in my 22 Gen 2 is the old style and my 23Gen4 has the new style. Both seem to work well but in the 9mm people complain of poor extraction and/or cases that dribble out or come right back into the shooter's face instead of smartly ejecting to the right. Doesn't seem to be as much a problem in hotter loads.
__________________

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.
________________________________________
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Quentin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:02 PM   #36
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
g17frantz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Centralia, MO
Posts: 1,360
Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin

For the last year or so Glock has used MIM extractors instead of the ones they used before. This affects Gen4 and recent Gen3s. Some people have modified their extractor or bought old Glock stock or Lone Wolf. The extractor in my 22 Gen 2 is the old style and my 23Gen4 has the new style. Both seem to work well but in the 9mm people complain of poor extraction and/or cases that dribble out or come right back into the shooter's face instead of smartly ejecting to the right. Doesn't seem to be as much a problem in hotter loads.
You know that's funny you say that. My 17 pops me in the face from time to time its a gen3. And I haven't noticed it w/a hot round or factory ammo. I primarily shoot reloads but do shoot quite a bit of factory ammo as well. Maybe ill look into replacing the extractor. Thanks for the info. Any recommendations on the better extractor?
__________________
GOFFA Council Member
Gun Owners For a Free America

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy
g17frantz is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:34 AM   #37
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 13
Default

You haven't lived until you gave a piping hot piece of 45ACP slam into your forehead! My various Glocks have never smacked me but my Kimber did it quite a bit for the first 300 rounds or so!

__________________
InfiniteWalrus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:19 AM   #38
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Quentin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,512
Liked 973 Times on 684 Posts
Likes Given: 974

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by g17frantz View Post
You know that's funny you say that. My 17 pops me in the face from time to time its a gen3. And I haven't noticed it w/a hot round or factory ammo. I primarily shoot reloads but do shoot quite a bit of factory ammo as well. Maybe ill look into replacing the extractor. Thanks for the info. Any recommendations on the better extractor?
People say the Lone Wolf extractor looks just like the old Glock extractor. Either one may help. Unfortunately every gun and how it works with specific ammo is a special case. A new extractor may help or may not. Shortening the ejector can, too, but you're filing down a part that the factory believes is the correct length.
__________________

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.
________________________________________
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Quentin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:12 PM   #39
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
g17frantz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Centralia, MO
Posts: 1,360
Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts

Default

Any idea on the difficulty on changing out the extractor or should I have an armorer do it? I do have AGI's Glock armorers course video....

__________________
GOFFA Council Member
Gun Owners For a Free America

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy
g17frantz is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:45 AM   #40
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Quentin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,512
Liked 973 Times on 684 Posts
Likes Given: 974

Default

Not hard at all. Try your video or check out the free ones on YouTube.

__________________

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.
________________________________________
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Quentin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Is a p38 worth it? vmonty Semi-Auto Handguns 1 08-01-2010 10:42 AM
Is it worth it? Stevie Curio & Relic Discussion 8 01-01-2010 03:26 AM
what might this be worth. truevil1313 Revolver Handguns 0 12-31-2008 12:09 PM



Newest Threads