Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Gen 4 Worth It?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2011, 03:33 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I could care less what my grips look like, only whether I can shoot better with them than other grips. I purchased a Gen 4 Glock 19 at the LE/Military/First Responder price of $425.00 + tax recently. I loved the RTF grip so much that I stippled the grips on my Gen 3 22 & 23.

The slick grips have always been my biggest complaint about the Glock pistol, and the fact that they can't seem to make a pistol with a slim slide. There is no good reason I can think of why a .45 slide should be wider than a 9mm or .40. Well, the slick grip problem is solved anyway.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:59 AM   #22

Liked 733 Times on 544 Posts
Likes Given: 703

I think the Gen4 is worth the extra cost and just bought a 23Gen4. In the red label packaging you get an extra magazine over the two that come with a Gen 3 which pretty much covers the extra cost. And of course the rest of the Gen 4 upgrades like the new recoil spring assembly, grip backstraps and new texture.

It is worrisome that some people are having trouble with the 9mils (at least early models from last year) but the 40S&W seems trouble free.

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:17 AM   #23
RUT
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

>>It is worrisome that some people are having trouble with the 9mils<<

But you know, there are some folks who would have problems with a single shot gun. I've come to the conclusion that autos aren't for everyone.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:03 PM   #24

True, true... Just goes to show that anyone who buys a new gun for self defense must practice with it, get comfortable with it, test different ammo, and ensure its reliability.

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:54 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-In-Maine View Post
Hmmm..."wrong looking," but how does it actually FEEL or SHOOT?!
I don't actually notice a diffrence. I never had a grip problem with my Glock.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:50 PM   #26

Likes Given: 1

I love the Gen 4 grips on both the G19 and G26, very secure, very comfortable for my hands.

My question was really about how one can evaluate a grip by looking at it, versus handling it.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:11 PM   #27

I've got a Gen4 17 and I have 2K+ rounds thru it and the only hiccup it had was when my 14 year-old son limp-wristed it. Other than that, it's been great for me.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1931 – 2005

Old 06-22-2011, 09:20 PM   #28

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I just ran 75 rounds through my Gen 4 G-19 and experienced no problems with feeding or ejection. I had planned to shoot more but it started lightning and the range was closed.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:24 AM   #29

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have not had a problem at all out of my Gen 4 17 since buying it. It has quickly become one of my favorite guns.

"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us; they can't get away from us this time."
Chesty Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir, Korean War

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."
- Father Kevin Keaney, 1st MarDiv Chaplain, Korean War

Old 07-06-2011, 08:01 PM   #30

I haven't had any problems with my 23 Gen4 at all. Of course not to be expected especially in .40S&W but I'm glad I chose the new version.