Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Gen 4 Worth It?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2011, 08:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Gen 4 Worth It?

I am planning on buying a new Glock in about 3 weeks for my birthday. This gun will also be going with me to the LE Academy I'm attending in August. Anyway, My question is: Are the gen 4 Glocks worth the price difference over a gen 3? At my local dealer I can get a gen 3 with night sites for just about 15 or 20 bucks more than a gen 4 with standard sights. I have small hands so I won't be using the backstraps that come with the gen 4. So...is the new recoil system worth the extra money?

"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us; they can't get away from us this time."
Chesty Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir, Korean War

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."
- Father Kevin Keaney, 1st MarDiv Chaplain, Korean War

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-11-2011, 10:34 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Try it out first

I have a G19 and G17 Gen4 and Gen3 G22. I prefer the Gen4 mainly for the larger and easier magazine release. I've broken bones in both hands so that might be a factor..I also think the grip (size/texture) is more comfortable in the Gen4. YMMV.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:43 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a Glock 22 Gen 4 and it is not only my daily carry, but is becoming one of my favorite handguns. Every time I shot it I am more and more impressed with it. I replaced the stock guide with a stainless steel one and I believe it has made this gun even better. I believe if you purchase one you will not regret it.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:12 PM   #4

I carried Gen2 .40 Glocks during the last half of my LE years. I recently upgraded to Gen4's because I like the grip texture more than I dislike the finger grooves.

There have been issues reported with some Gen.4's, but those issues may be confined to 9mm's. My four new .40 Gen.4's (a 22, a 23 and two 27's) have proven themselves 100% to my satisfaction. IMHO, well worth the small premium paid.

Lastly, check with a "Blue Label" dealer if your Military/Law Enforcement/Emergency Responder credentials qualify you for those savings.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:43 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockenspieler View Post
There have been issues reported with some Gen.4's, but those issues may be confined to 9mm's. My four new .40 Gen.4's (a 22, a 23 and two 27's) have proven themselves 100% to my satisfaction. IMHO, well worth the small premium paid.
The issues apparently stemmed from the stiffer recoil spring in the Gen4 or possibly using light loads. The latest ones supposedly ship with an updated spring which resolves the issue. That said, I have the 9mm G19 and G17 Gen4 and have not had any issues whatsoever.

I can't vouch for this, but the base of the newer recoil spring is supposed to be stamped "0 2". On mine it is "0 4". The troublesome ones supposedly have no markings.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:47 AM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

not over the gen3 that stands on top in 9mm class imho, i had the gen4 and came home last night with the gen3.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:38 AM   #7

Stay away from Gen4's, I have been waiting over a month for a recoil spring, Glock customer service sub standard IMO. 400 rounds and Frequent FTF, #4 recoil spring suppose to help, well I will wait for spring and if that does not fix it it will be bye bye to Glock for good. So stick around I might have real deal for you on a G19 gen4 jamomatic.

Ruger SR1911 45acp
Ruger GP-100 4"
Ruger LCP
Kahr PM9
Glock 26 gen 4
S&W 642
Ruger Mark III 22lr
High Standards 9 shot revolver

Old 04-15-2011, 06:05 AM   #8

Glock 17's Gen 4's are going through some growing pains.

The newest spring for the Gen 4 Glock 17 pre "PUN" non-counterbore is the 0-2-1 which is flawless. This is the one I just bought.

It look's like this

For the post "PUN" Gen 4 Glock 17 they cut a counterbore in the slide which looks like this (on right)

An they have a 0-2 I have heard these ones are also flawless.

The springs were what was giving glock 17's all the problems, they seemed to have fixed the problem pretty quickly. However the people who got the first gen spring were very loud, as they should be and gave the gen 4 a bit of a bad name.

I read threads online that if you send your slide into glock they will cut the counterbore into the slide to match the new look, however the 0-2-1 works just as good, I'm keeping it the way it is cause I believe it will be a collectible someday

Last edited by Robotic_Wolf; 04-15-2011 at 06:07 AM.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:19 AM   #9

Just so you guys know what the old 2 springs looked like and what to stay away from heres the 0-1 and 0-2 springs with out the bore-cap at the end

If you have one of these springs call Glock and they will send you the new 0-2-1 for free.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:05 PM   #10
RUT
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Well, I must be lucky, as I have a G19 and a G23, both in Gen 4. And both have performed as they should from day one. That being said, now I'm just waiting for the G30 Gen 4 to come out so I'll have all the bases covered.