Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Are Gen-4 Magazines a different size?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2011, 10:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

Default Are Gen-4 Magazines a different size?

I recently got a Glock 17 Gen-3 for my wife. The magazines do not drop out, you have to push the mag release and pull it out, and even then it takes more effort than you would imagine it should in order to remove the empty magazine.

A friend of mine said it's possible that they sent "gen 4 mags" with the gun on accident.

So im wondering if this is possible, and even if it is possible...are they so different that we'd see this sort of performance?

I purchased the handgun brand new

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-15-2011, 10:59 PM   #2

Likes Given: 2

the gen 4 mags have the mag catch on both sides for an ambi release, other than that, i run gen 4 mags and gen 3 mags in my g26 gen 3, no issues what so ever...

Old 12-15-2011, 11:02 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Shnorse is spot on. As for what could be the problem, I think it could be the magazine release spring or what ever it's called is worn out.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 12-15-2011, 11:04 PM   #4

If that's the case then it wasn't properly assembled if its brand new. I would go to a glock dealer and have them look at it, they'll fix the problem free of charge

Last edited by skeniger2002; 12-15-2011 at 11:07 PM.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:52 PM   #5

Liked 945 Times on 670 Posts
Likes Given: 937

Yes something isn't right with the magwell or magazine release if recent manufacture Glock magazines won't drop free. Doesn't matter if the mags are Gen 4, in fact most new Gen 3s now come with Gen 4 mags so that's not the issue. Very old Glock mags and some 3rd party mags don't drop free but not recent Glock mags.

You might look in the magwell to be sure a piece of tape or something isn't stuck in there.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:24 PM   #6

just an update in case someone else ever runs into this problem, but I went back to the place I purchased the gun from and the owner there set down with me, we called Glock, and got everything figured out. It was indeed that Gen4 mags didn't fit properly in a Gen3 gun, so the owner kindly switched out the mags I had for a few Gen3 from another case, and Glock sent him new ones to replace them.

Kind of silly, I know, but that was definitely the case...according to glock =)

Old 12-28-2011, 06:02 AM   #7

Liked 945 Times on 670 Posts
Likes Given: 937

This was something gun specific or batch specific because I have absolutely no problem using Gen 4 mags in my Gen 2 and Gen 3 Glocks.

And that answer was not "according to Glock", it was one CS rep trying to end a service call. Glock would not be stupid enough to sell new mags that won't fit in millions of earlier guns!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
This was something gun specific or batch specific because I have absolutely no problem using Gen 4 mags in my Gen 2 and Gen 3 Glocks.

And that answer was not "according to Glock", it was one CS rep trying to end a service call. Glock would not be stupid enough to sell new mags that won't fit in millions of earlier guns!
Well, you are probably correct...but the gen 3 mags fit just fine, and the gen 4 didn't

That's all I know. No matter who is right and who is wrong, though, the problem is resolved =)

And Glock did sell mags that don't fit...they might be defective, I don't know, but they sold them to me brand new =) and after some google searches, it would appear as though i'm not the only one they've done it to.

Maybe Glock needs to replace a few QA employees

Last edited by PrimePorkchop; 12-28-2011 at 12:37 PM.