Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Glock Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   Are Gen-4 Magazines a different size? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/gen-4-magazines-different-size-53662/)

PrimePorkchop 12-15-2011 10:52 PM

Are Gen-4 Magazines a different size?

I recently got a Glock 17 Gen-3 for my wife. The magazines do not drop out, you have to push the mag release and pull it out, and even then it takes more effort than you would imagine it should in order to remove the empty magazine.

A friend of mine said it's possible that they sent "gen 4 mags" with the gun on accident.

So im wondering if this is possible, and even if it is possible...are they so different that we'd see this sort of performance?

I purchased the handgun brand new

shnorse 12-15-2011 10:59 PM

the gen 4 mags have the mag catch on both sides for an ambi release, other than that, i run gen 4 mags and gen 3 mags in my g26 gen 3, no issues what so ever...

Firearms4ever 12-15-2011 11:02 PM

Shnorse is spot on. As for what could be the problem, I think it could be the magazine release spring or what ever it's called is worn out.

skeniger2002 12-15-2011 11:04 PM

If that's the case then it wasn't properly assembled if its brand new. I would go to a glock dealer and have them look at it, they'll fix the problem free of charge

Quentin 12-15-2011 11:52 PM

Yes something isn't right with the magwell or magazine release if recent manufacture Glock magazines won't drop free. Doesn't matter if the mags are Gen 4, in fact most new Gen 3s now come with Gen 4 mags so that's not the issue. Very old Glock mags and some 3rd party mags don't drop free but not recent Glock mags.

You might look in the magwell to be sure a piece of tape or something isn't stuck in there.

PrimePorkchop 12-27-2011 11:24 PM

just an update in case someone else ever runs into this problem, but I went back to the place I purchased the gun from and the owner there set down with me, we called Glock, and got everything figured out. It was indeed that Gen4 mags didn't fit properly in a Gen3 gun, so the owner kindly switched out the mags I had for a few Gen3 from another case, and Glock sent him new ones to replace them.

Kind of silly, I know, but that was definitely the case...according to glock =)

Quentin 12-28-2011 06:02 AM

This was something gun specific or batch specific because I have absolutely no problem using Gen 4 mags in my Gen 2 and Gen 3 Glocks.

And that answer was not "according to Glock", it was one CS rep trying to end a service call. Glock would not be stupid enough to sell new mags that won't fit in millions of earlier guns!

PrimePorkchop 12-28-2011 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin (Post 661337)
This was something gun specific or batch specific because I have absolutely no problem using Gen 4 mags in my Gen 2 and Gen 3 Glocks.

And that answer was not "according to Glock", it was one CS rep trying to end a service call. Glock would not be stupid enough to sell new mags that won't fit in millions of earlier guns!

Well, you are probably correct...but the gen 3 mags fit just fine, and the gen 4 didn't

That's all I know. No matter who is right and who is wrong, though, the problem is resolved =)

And Glock did sell mags that don't fit...they might be defective, I don't know, but they sold them to me brand new =) and after some google searches, it would appear as though i'm not the only one they've done it to.

Maybe Glock needs to replace a few QA employees