Gen 4 Backstrap Fit

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Gen 4 Backstrap Fit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2011, 01:10 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default Gen 4 Backstrap Fit

Good morning-
1st post here, I think, so sorry if this has been covered--the "search" feature didn't turn up what I was looking for.
I am now the very pleased owner of a G19 and G26, both Gen 4, and my question is about the different-sized backstraps.

Other than "use whichever one feels best" is there a rule of thumb, of sorts, for determining which one is the best to start with?

I've tried them all with numerous dry-fire exercises and a few rounds through the pistols, and they all feel "okay." The difference being how much of my finger rests on the front of the trigger guard--everywhere from "the tip just barely" to "right in the middle of the first pad."

So, any thoughts or advice, much appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-19-2011, 01:46 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-In-Maine View Post
I've tried them all with numerous dry-fire exercises and a few rounds through the pistols, and they all feel "okay." The difference being how much of my finger rests on the front of the trigger guard--everywhere from "the tip just barely" to "right in the middle of the first pad."

So, any thoughts or advice, much appreciated.
Search on "trigger finger placement" might give some good info..

I was taught to use the pad on my trigger finger and just make sure to pull it straight back. I.e., there's a tendency to push sideways so take pains to avoid this. So first, place the hand up against the rear of the gun (up close to the slide) which gives more palm contact with the grip. Attach the backstrap so the trigger finger is comfortable to allow this straight motion while the webbing of your shooting hand is up high. Again, this is how I was taught but it's been years so current technique might be different.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:41 AM   #3

Likes Given: 1

Thanks--I've got the finger-pad-placement-on-the-trigger thing down, was just wondering if there are other considerations from those who shoot a lot.

Like I said, the three different arrangements all feel fine, I can work with any of them, but definitely notice the differences from when I slide my straight finger off the frame down toward the trigger. With the smallest, my finger pad ends up right on the front edge of the trigger guard, with the largest, it just barely touches it.

I have a light that I might use occasionally, so the smaller grip would allow better finger-tip activation of the switch, so I will probably stick with that. Overall, the smaller feels marginally more comfortable.

It's all good!!!

Old 04-25-2011, 06:16 AM   #4

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Whatever gives you the best control of the weapon. Also it's normal for new Glock shooters to fire low and to the left until you master the pull.

In god we trust, all others we monitor...