Gen 3 Glock 23 from new to current. Range Report
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Gen 3 Glock 23 from new to current. Range Report

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2012, 04:21 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 18 Posts

Default Gen 3 Glock 23 from new to current. Range Report

Ok, so I've always hated Glocks. I've shot them and they've just never felt right in my hand. Sorry. Anyways, a few months ago, I took in a Glock 23 on trade for some stuff I had on craigslist. I wasn't too concerned about it being a Glock, I just liked that it was another .40 to add to my collection. When I got it home, I stripped it for a cleaning and discovered that it still had the factory lube on the slide rails. A phone call to the guy I traded confirmed that it had never been fired. I had just assumed that it was used.

I started to play around with it and discovered that I REALLY liked the way it felt in my hands. Apparently, I didn't hate glocks, I had just been shooting the wrong ones. I installed tritium night sights and planned to make it my main carry gun and retired my other carry guns to the safe.

For the first 500 or so rounds it had some random failures. Failures to feed, and locking the slide back when the gun was NOT empty. It didn't happen often but enough that I didn't trust it. I gave it the benefit of the doubt and assumed it needed a good break in period so I didn't give up on it. Although, my XD never needed a break in period, just sayin...

After the first 500 or so rounds down the pipe, It was running like a Glock would be expected to run. Flawlessly. So I decided to finally test my carry ammo in it. My ammo was Winchester Ranger 180 gr that had been riding around in my other carry gun and my truck gun for a while. I discovered INSTANT failures! Every round felt extremely weak. I mean like .22 LR weak. They were still accurate, but some didn't even have enough power to cycle the slide and left the empties in the chamber.

I had some other old carry ammo lying around that was about the same age, so I decided to buy some new Ranger and go test it all. Ammo was Old Winchester Ranger, Speer Gold Dot, and Federal Hydroshock. (been carried and/or riding around in my truck gun for a while) as well as some brand new Winchester Ranger. Here are the results. Testing was done for function, not groups.

Old Winchester Ranger: 100% failure. All were weak but still accurate. Several wouldn't cycle the slide.

Old Federal Hydroshock: About 10-15% failure. Most functioned normally but a few were weak and didn't cycle the slide.

Old Speer Gold Dot: 100% SUCCESS. Shot like it was brand new.

NEW Winchester Ranger: 100% SUCCESS.

In conclusion, I decided to stick with the Winchester Ranger and start cycling my carry ammo on a regular basis.

Next, I made up some handloads, sat down at the bench, and figured out what ol glock liked. Then loaded up 1200 or so of those to have a supply to target shoot with for the rest of the summer.

Yesterday, I loaded up a guns and ammo bench/table that I built to leave at a friends range, grabbed the Glock and 200 rounds of ammo, and headed to deliver the table. We unloaded the table and he said we couldn't take it to the range yet because it was a muddy swamp right now and I'd get stuck. So we walked over to the range to just shoot without the table. He knows I've been testing various things about this Glock for the past several months and he asked me what kind of test I had planned for the day. I honestly hadn't planned any testing, I just wanted to shoot. But I told him that today was TORTURE test day. I locked the slide back, dropped the mag, and threw Mr. Glock into the creek. He looked at me like I was crazy. (I'll admit, I'd have a very hard time doing that to a gun that I had actually paid for) Then I walked over to it, picked it up out of the water, dropped in in the mud, jumped on top of it to really smash it down in there, rinsed it off in a mud puddle, and shook the mud plug out of the barrel. I said if it would send 200 rounds down range after that with no malfunctions that I'd keep it. Results: Zero failures. Although I will note that some crap worked its way into the trigger causing a VERY heavy pull, but another rinse in the mud puddle took care of that.

So there you have it. I went from being a Glock hater to not only owning one, but also selecting it as my carry gun and retiring my kimber, hk, hi power, and a few others to the safe. I've done all the testing that I care to do and feel confident that when all the oil is rubbed off and a little pocket lint is added, that Mr. Glock will not care. I guess I've been converted. But it's still ugly.

Last edited by ryguy00; 03-25-2012 at 05:05 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-26-2012, 06:32 AM   #2

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Great story! Hey when you say "old carry ammo". How old was it? Would it be moisture making them fail?

Old 03-26-2012, 06:44 AM   #3
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8839 Times on 5115 Posts
Likes Given: 11538

Yeah, you should send your "carry ammo" downrange perhaps every 6 months. Cycle through it so it stays "fresh". I would suggest that you buy a new box of your preferred defense ammo and see how the fresh box works in it. You might be surprised, or maybe you will change your preference in ammo.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:42 AM   #4

Liked 1070 Times on 753 Posts
Likes Given: 1075

Sounds like that ammo got contaminated, it's not that old and shouldn't have been a problem.

The Glock 23 won me over too. I have the Gen 4 and use it and my G27 Gen 3 for CCW. Also have an older G22 and all three are reliable. The G23 fits my hand the best though.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Yeah, you should send your "carry ammo" downrange perhaps every 6 months. Cycle through it so it stays "fresh". I would suggest that you buy a new box of your preferred defense ammo and see how the fresh box works in it. You might be surprised, or maybe you will change your preference in ammo.
Yes, that's what I just said that I did. And you're right, the fresh ammo worked fine so I'll be sticking with it. I also agree and plan to cycle out ammo every 6 months or so from now on.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Sounds like that ammo got contaminated, it's not that old and shouldn't have been a problem.

The Glock 23 won me over too. I have the Gen 4 and use it and my G27 Gen 3 for CCW. Also have an older G22 and all three are reliable. The G23 fits my hand the best though.
I'm not sure if the ammo was contaminated or if the powder just broke down from bouncing around in the truck. I suppose being hot against my skin and then stored somewhere cold and then hot again, etc could have caused condensation to form inside the cases and ruined the powder with moisture. Or it could have also been a combination of the two. Either way, I intend to not experience it again...