Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Gen 3 or Gen 4?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2011, 12:44 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Gen 3 or Gen 4?

I am looking into a 23 as I am applying to an agency that has it as its firearm of choice. I would like to practice first as I'm pretty green in the shooting world. Should I buy a Gen 3 or Gen 4? Is the extra $ worth the G4?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-20-2011, 02:07 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 197 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 624

Default Gen 3 0r 4

Do you need an indicator to inform you that there is a round in your chamber?

Old 10-20-2011, 02:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izenrok
I am looking into a 23 as I am applying to an agency that has it as its firearm of choice. I would like to practice first as I'm pretty green in the shooting world. Should I buy a Gen 3 or Gen 4? Is the extra $ worth the G4?
I'm new to th forum,but my choice is gen 3 all the way in price with standard sights $499.99.My gen 3 27 is my baby and I'm going to purchase a gen 3 23 in a bit,my research on gen 4 is that you can release mag left or right,and the width is only about a 1/16th thinner so I'll stick with gen 3 of course add night sights or laser sights for less money

Old 10-20-2011, 06:55 AM   #4

Liked 972 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 972

Go handle them both before you decide. I bought a new G23 a few months back and compared the Gen 3 and 4. It didn't take long to pick, Gen 4 all the way. The multiple backstraps make all the difference and I do like the new RSA. (The latest version is 0-3-3 so look for that if you buy a Gen 4.)

No regrets at all, the 23Gen4 is great and I do have an older generation G22 to compare it with.

The Gen 4 is about $35 more but you get an extra magazine (3) so that and the new features offset the price.

But handle them and decide for yourself, either is a great gun.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:05 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I had a keen interest in the Gen4 until I was told there are issues with them at the moment. I have decided to settle for the Gen 3 as parts are readily available and it has been time tested for reliability.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:17 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Havent heard of any problems but i do have a gen 4 and like it but i have held lots of glocks in my hands and settled on the gen 4 because of price was right

Posted by cddbrowns
All you young whipper snappers and your new fangled doo dads have no clue what real construction is.......GET OFF MY LAWN!

“The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory.”
Jeff Cooper

Old 10-21-2011, 01:33 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

There are some threads on other forums with some Gen 4's having issues with the new extractor and recoil spring assembly (RSA). They have a voluntary RSA replacement program going on now too...

Glock Gen4 voluntary Recoil Spring Assembly replacement - AR15.COM

Most of the complaints were ejected cases bouncing off the shooter's forehead and a few Stovepipes/FTE's. Some sent their guns back to Glock and some bought a Lonewolf extractor which fixed it. There are more details over at ar15.com, glocktalk and others....sounds like they are gettting it sorted out

My G19's ejected brass is hitting me in the forehead. Whats the problem? - AR15.COM

Glock G23, G19, G20SF, G21SF, G30S, G38, CZ P-02, CZ75 SA, Dan Wesson CBOB .45, BHP x3, FN HP, Inglis HP, GP-100

Old 10-21-2011, 01:39 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I agree with Quentin. For me I like the Generation 4 better, because of the larger magazine release, MBS (Multiple Backstrap System), and the texture on the frame. You should go to some shops and see which Generation will fit the bill.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 11-04-2011, 04:22 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

The Gen4. Makes a great duty gun even better! Concerning cost, the Gen4 guns come with 3 mags instead of 2, so it's pretty much a wash.

NRA Certified Police Firearms Instructor
Glock Advanced Armorer

Old 11-20-2011, 05:37 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 209 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Gen4 FTW! Got myself a G19G4. Next week im getting the G23G4.