Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Glock Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   Gap? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/gap-56422/)

chlogeo 01-27-2012 11:14 AM

Gap?

What is the purpose of this round that is unique to Glock?

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

msup752 01-27-2012 11:27 AM

The .45 ACP is not very efficient in the case design as related to the volume it is filled with powder and the bullet. Glock reinvented the wheel and made a shorter case to decrease grip size and make the round more efficient.
It seems a novel idea but the guns have very low mag capacities and there is little aftermarket support for the round. The .45 ACP has a ton of options and ammo so the GAP round is all but gone.
I would say this round is limited to Glock fans who reload and want a .45 but have smaller hands. Even then there are lots of options in ACP to fit those needs.

Gatoragn 01-27-2012 11:32 AM

Borrowed from Wikpedia:

The .45 G.A.P. (often called the .45 "GAP") pistol cartridge was designed by Ernest Durham, an engineer with CCI/Speer, at the request of firearms manufacturer Glock to provide a cartridge that would equal the power of the .45 ACP but was shorter to fit in a more compact handgun, and with a stronger case head to reduce the possibility of case neck blowouts. G.A.P. is an acronym for "Glock Automatic Pistol", and the .45 G.A.P. is the first commercially-introduced cartridge identified with Glock.

Mainly it was to get you to want spend more of your money! :rolleyes:

chlogeo 01-27-2012 12:41 PM

Thanks Mates!

MrWray 01-27-2012 05:43 PM

Other than what Gatoragn stated above,there is no purpose for the .45gap.

If you want a real .45 semi auto, get something in .45acp

chlogeo 01-27-2012 06:00 PM

OK, obviously this was a marketing mistake like The Edsel. Is Glock still making these pistols?

MrWray 01-27-2012 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chlogeo
OK, obviously this was a marketing mistake like The Edsel. Is Glock still making these pistols?

I believe that they still are

nyycanseco33 01-30-2012 06:30 PM

Yes they are still making the GAP versions, as for the ones who slam it and consider it to be the "Edsel" I highly doubt you have ever actually shot the round... The GAP was designed to be an equivalent to the .45ACP but able to fit in a standard magazine and frame, thus being able to be used by a diverse law enforcement community with large and small hands which is a main reason for developing it (not so people can spend more money or any other ignorant statements posted here earlier in this thread)... The recoil is less but the performance is superb and after much testing the New York State Police and Pennsylvania State Police have chosen the G37 .45 GAP as their duty weapon... I have a G37 also and it is the best gun I have ever shot that combines comfort, reliability, performance, and power - yes I also own the G21 .45ACP and I do like it but it doesn't stand up to the GAP for those that were curious... I highly suggest that you all go out and shoot the GAP before you walk in bashing the round, at least know what you're talking about before you judge

Quentin 01-30-2012 06:56 PM

I agree with nyycanseco33, The 45GAP does serve a purpose and is an efficient cartridge. If the .40S&W hadn't taken off so fast in the LE community I bet the GAP would be much more popular today. Even so, it's nice to have a true .45 caliber in a short frame. I'm not converting to it because I'm happy with my 1911s but can see why many would love the GAP. I hope its sales continue to grow. If the ammo price was competitive to .45ACP the GAP would be a lot more popular.

MrWray 01-30-2012 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyycanseco33
Yes they are still making the GAP versions, as for the ones who slam it and consider it to be the "Edsel" I highly doubt you have ever actually shot the round... The GAP was designed to be an equivalent to the .45ACP but able to fit in a standard magazine and frame, thus being able to be used by a diverse law enforcement community with large and small hands which is a main reason for developing it (not so people can spend more money or any other ignorant statements posted here earlier in this thread)... The recoil is less but the performance is superb and after much testing the New York State Police and Pennsylvania State Police have chosen the G37 .45 GAP as their duty weapon... I have a G37 also and it is the best gun I have ever shot that combines comfort, reliability, performance, and power - yes I also own the G21 .45ACP and I do like it but it doesn't stand up to the GAP for those that were curious... I highly suggest that you all go out and shoot the GAP before you walk in bashing the round, at least know what you're talking about before you judge

You talk like you know me, are we buddies and i missed the memo?..wait! I figured it out...we went to different schools together!!!

Thanks for trying, but i shot the .45gap not to long after they came out, another deputy had bought it and while we were on duty together we went out and shot a few mags through it.. I wasnt impressed with it, at all!...and neither was he,He quickly sold it. I dont know one single person that has one

So if you gonna highly suggest something, suggest yourself not to assume people dont have any experience on what they are talking about