Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > G30/G36 for Daily Carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2011, 07:46 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default G30/G36 for Daily Carry

I'm in the market for a new handgun for daily carry, and quite a few people I know say to go with Glock. It's been many years since I've handled a Glock, but I didn't like the grip back then. The grip angle didn't feel comfortable to me and it affected my natural POA. Obviously styles have changed, and now I'm considering a Glock for daily carry. Why? Because to me the grip looks different between a full size and compact/sub-compact. So, I'll give it serious consideration.

Looking at the ammo aspect, I'm keeping this simple...I have a 1911 in .45ACP, so I'm going to look at compacts in .45ACP first. This has led me to the G30 and the G36. I've looked all over several forums I lurk in trying to find some good reviews and opinions from actual shooters and haven't really found anything expect "I really love this gun" type comments.

Looking at the details of each handgun on Glock's website, they are relatively the same size, except the G36 is slimmer and thus holds less rounds as it is a single stack. Is that the case, or am I missing something? Any helpful comments and opinions would be appreciated as I'm trying to keep an open mind.

“No person was ever honored for what he received. Honor has been the reward for what he gave.” -Calvin Coolidge

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle." -Gen. John "Black Jack" Pershing, U.S. Army

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-25-2011, 03:41 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

That's about the only difference, the grip/frame thickness.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-25-2011, 03:46 PM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Are you planning on carrying this? If so, either one would work out nice. Obviously the G36 would work better because it is slimmer but me personally, im getting the G30 Now if your not carrying this, try the G21. Its going to come down to what you like. If you didnt like the grip angle then, you may not like it now. Although they slimmed the grip down on the gen4's, to some, thats not enough for them to purchase.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:45 AM   #4

I have a g30 which i carry about 25% of the time, the rest of the time i carry a kahr cw9 cauae its thinner. I think what you should figure out how ur gonna carry cause i find the g30 to be a bit thick for iwb so i use the kahr for iwb and glock for on the hip in a fobus elite conceal. I love the g30 reliable, 10+1, and very accurate

Old 09-27-2011, 02:02 AM   #5

Right now the G36 is at the top of my list...which seems to continuously change. If I'm not happy with how that feels then I'll look at other slim pistols...Kahr, Ruger, Taurus, and others I can find.

I've got to keep reminding myself this gun is for daily carry and to shop accordingly.

“No person was ever honored for what he received. Honor has been the reward for what he gave.” -Calvin Coolidge

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle." -Gen. John "Black Jack" Pershing, U.S. Army

Old 09-27-2011, 02:39 AM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I have the G36 and carry it regularly. Here are my opinions on the differences:

GUN WIDTH LENGTH HEIGHT RDS WEIGHT LOADED
G21 1.27" 7.59" 5.47" 13 38.26
G30 1.27" 6.77" 4.76" 10 33.86
G36 1.13" 6.77" 4.76" 06 26.99

The G36 is thinner and lighter than the G36. Other than that - it carries less and is still somewhat of a brick compared to most CCW weapons. Of course, it is a .45 so that rocks!

The G30 seemed bulky and too heavy for me. I think all Glocks are 1.27" wide...the G36 is the only single stack - and that .14" makes a difference in your IWB carry!

I carry the G36 with 6 in mag one in the chamber - 7rds. I have a 7rd mag in reserve (+1 extension), so that gives me 13rds of .45 at my disposal. It shoots soft, carries well, and works every single time I pull the trigger. I have Tritium sights and a modified 5.5lb trigger which makes my baby almost perfect.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:10 PM   #7

Thanks. I've already decided on the G36 as my first choice...pending the grip feels right.

Old 10-01-2011, 03:56 PM   #8

Default G30/G36 for Daily Carry

Go with the 36 JMHO

Happiness is a Belt Fed Weapon

Old 10-15-2011, 06:09 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I like the G36 and carry one frequently.

Enemies of the United States:hunt them down, kill them all.War to the knife, knife to the hilt.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:52 PM   #10

Liked 1956 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4285

Well, you've already decided but I'll throw my hat in the ring anyways...I landed on the 30 as my fall/winter EDC but for the simple fact of larger mag capacity. Dimensions and weight are much less of a concern for me personally. It's defenitely chunky, as I carry IWB (my personal preference) but in the colder months, printing is no concern.

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting