Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > G30 @ 100 yds?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2011, 09:39 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 914 Times on 650 Posts
Likes Given: 888

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
Guys, talking about the .45ACP, not 9mm or .40, out of a short barrel like the G30
Doesn't matter that much, it can be done.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 11-25-2011, 09:54 PM   #22

Liked 1060 Times on 685 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Some of these stories sound like the one I keep getting, over and over, from a nerd I work with. Whenever pistol shooting enters the conversation, he always tells us about his "friend" that can consistantly hit 16 oz. soda bottles from 100 yards with a 2" snub nose. The most unbelieveable part of his story is his insinuating that he has a friend. He hasn't yet picked up on the rolling of eyes, shaking of heads and sighing that goes on when that story starts. I could understand it if he was a complete idiot, but the young man is fairly bright.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 11-25-2011, 10:20 PM   #23

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire
Some of these stories sound like the one I keep getting, over and over, from a nerd I work with. Whenever pistol shooting enters the conversation, he always tells us about his "friend" that can consistantly hit 16 oz. soda bottles from 100 yards with a 2" snub nose. The most unbelieveable part of his story is his insinuating that he has a friend. He hasn't yet picked up on the rolling of eyes, shaking of heads and sighing that goes on when that story starts. I could understand it if he was a complete idiot, but the young man is fairly bright.
Now that one I don't believe. Elmer Keith at 600 on an elk, yes, he had a witness. Bob Munden, large game target at over 200 (can't remember the exact number) with a snubbie, yes, I've seen the video myself.

But consistent hits with a snubbie at 100 on a 16 oz. bottle? You can tell him I say he's full of crap, and I don't know him or his "friend". Something I've noticed too is that the most unbelievable things are almost always done by "friends". I'll bet the guy was shooting from the hip too wasn't he?

Old 11-25-2011, 10:24 PM   #24

Liked 1956 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
"insinuating he has a friend"...HAAAAAA!! Too funny!!! I've found the ones who talk the most have done the least. Maybe he's just trying to fit in! Gonna shoot tomorrow, I'm just gonna suck it up, waste a few rounds and see for myself...will let y'all know how I do...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 11-25-2011, 10:26 PM   #25

Liked 1956 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Doesn't matter that much, it can be done.
It matters a little!

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 11-26-2011, 04:03 PM   #26

Liked 2391 Times on 1361 Posts
Likes Given: 1881

Sure, it can be done.

You can fish for sharks with a shotgun, doesn't mean it's

sensible or practical.

I was out at the range the other day shooting 100 yards with the 22LRs.

The pistol shot better than the rifles, which is because of the marginally

better ammo I use in the pistol. After 50 rounds or so downrange overall,

I decided the optimum range for the 22LR was 50 yards.

So I've decided to limit my max range on the 22s to the 50yard range.

Sure, 100 yards was do-able, just not consistently accurate for the

caliber.

If you want to embrace the marginal prospect of accuracy gains with

a pistol by practicing at long distance, hey, it's a free country, even

if ammo's going to wind up costing you an arm and a leg. BTW,

how well do you shoot that G30 at 25 yards?

Old 11-26-2011, 04:34 PM   #27

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

I dunno....I shot the crap out of this sil at 50 yards with my Glock 27 BUG...offhand, not from a rest.

The five smaller holes are from my OLD Smith & Wesson Model 37 Airweight snubby.

So...100yds with a Glock 30...can be done.

I shoot clay pigeons off the berm (NO not flying...sitting on the berm) at 100 yards with my BuckMark .22 with iron sights.

glock-27-50.jpg  

Old 11-26-2011, 06:02 PM   #28

Liked 2391 Times on 1361 Posts
Likes Given: 1881

...and look how well you did with a 50 yard target. IMO,

a reasonable distance for a pistol...

I bet you'd have trouble with those clay pigeons with a

22LR and rifle ammo. Would you really line up on an animal

with a 22 from that distance?

Last edited by therewolf; 11-26-2011 at 06:05 PM.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:56 PM   #29

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Guys, I'm gonna try some 100 yard shots with my pistol this afternoon, just for the hell of it. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:58 PM   #30

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
...and look how well you did with a 50 yard target. IMO,

a reasonable distance for a pistol...

I bet you'd have trouble with those clay pigeons with a

22LR and rifle ammo. Would you really line up on an animal

with a 22 from that distance?
No, I wouldn't shoot at an animal at 100yds with the .22 pistol I use shoot the clays off the berm. I do that from a rested position on the bench for no other reason than sight picture, trigger control, and oh by the way...it's fun. Would I shoot critters from 100 yards with a .22 RIFLE? Yep. Many bunnies and ground squirrells have met their end that way.

The above 50-yard target is off hand with a sub-compact backup gun working from a concealment holster shooting as fast as I can and still keep holes on the sil. I do that to know I can get hits I may NEED to get with a BUG. I certainly don't EVER expect to have to engage a target with a BUG at much more than 3-10 FEET and certainly NOT at 50 yds...but the fact remains...if you ONLY drill yourself at 3-10 feet with your BUG, you're not pushing yourself.

Am I absolutely confident that I could and WOULD get center mass hits from the bench at 100 yards with the Glock 27? Absolutely.

Would I feel confident that I could get center mass (in a 10 or 12 inch circle) hits at 100 yards with the Glock 27 from a standing off-hand position taking my time? Yes.

Would I reasonably expect to get hits at 100 yards from a concealment holster shooting as fast as I could? No. Absolutely not. I wouldn't be confident that my rounds would impact close enough to worry the target.

Then again...if some douchetard is shooting at ME from 50 - 100 yards with a handgun...I am simply going to de-ass the area. That just solved the problem for me. I don't get paid to run TO the sound of gunfire any longer.

If the same douchetard is shooting at ME with a rifle...I am going to de-ass the area...or find rock solid hard cover and hide proudly until the cavalry arrives, he runs out of ammo, or I get a chance to nail the SOB from a solid rested position. In no way am I going to go toe to toe and slug it out. Hell, I'll probably empty a hole magazine in his direction HOPING for nothing more than to get his head down long enough for me to do a Lynyrd Skynyrd and "Gimme Three Steps....."

The stone cold reality is this: Short barreled revolvers and semiautos are NO LESS INHERENTLY MECHANICALLY accurate than longer barreled handguns. Their ONLY impediments to accuracy are shorter sight radius and poor trigger control on the part of the operator of the gun.

If I am in a shooting scrape at any kind of distance, my first choice is going to be a rifle. Preferably a rifle with a dot or glass sighted in dead-nuts at 100 yards.

It's all about practice, training, and trigger control.
placement.jpg  

Last edited by ArizonaLawman; 11-26-2011 at 07:36 PM.