Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > G22 Recoil Spring/Drive Rod Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2009, 12:17 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default G22 Recoil Spring/Drive Rod Question

So I'm learning about my glock 22. It does not have the stock recoil spring/guide rod unit that pops in/out as an assembly.

So I yank out the spring to investigate. Holy garage door spring batman, this sucker is twice as long when removed and a freakin' bear to stuff back in!! Need 3 hands to hold the spring, the drive rod end and an end bushing to install. Not fun!

Was researching recoil springs on the www and one dude was saying use a lighter spring to reduce recoil and muzzle flip, like about a 13 lb. I always thought it was just the opposite, use a heavier spring.

So what is the scoop on spring weight to reduce recoil/muzzle flip on these things? .............................markerdown

USAF, Retired .. "From My Cold Dead Hands!"

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." ........ Edward R. Murrow

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-18-2009, 02:24 PM   #2

FWIW, I went back to the stock set up, white spring w/stainless rod ................markerdown

USAF, Retired .. "From My Cold Dead Hands!"

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." ........ Edward R. Murrow

Old 12-19-2009, 05:17 PM   #3

Liked 183 Times on 126 Posts

Glocks normally work best with the stock spring. You can buy a metal spring rod. To use the original spring with the metal rod, you must use pliers to break off the end of the old rod, thus freeing the captive spring. Some replacement rods also hold the spring cative when assembled. This is covered in AGI's video, " Making Glocks Rock ".

Old 01-01-2010, 07:33 AM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I've gone aftermarket with all of my Glocks and recoil rods/springs. Generally, I stick with the factory rated springs. + rated springs will tighten up the action and may under certain circumstances not cycle bulk ammo reliably and give more felt recoil/muzzle flip. - spring ratings will slow the cycle rate of the slide and reduce recoil/muzzle flip for better follow up shots. I'm thinking of putting a 13lb rated spring in my G17 for USPSA. If you change springs often, a non captive rod is nice to have. If you are using the flat springs (like OEM), I recommend using the captive rod systems.

Old 02-26-2010, 03:21 AM   #5

Not to highjack your thread markerdown, but I recently purchased a Glock 20 10mm. How often would you guys recommend I change the stock spring on this pleasant beast? How many rounds of stiff loads will it last for? I'm loading with 800-X powder and 180gr. JHP bullets. Do I just go by the feel of the slide, or just change it after so many rounds?
If I but a SS guide rod, which one is best, and what #spring would work well with hot 10mm?
Thanks for the help!!!!

MotorG20

Old 02-26-2010, 03:46 AM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorG20 View Post
Not to highjack your thread markerdown, but I recently purchased a Glock 20 10mm. How often would you guys recommend I change the stock spring on this pleasant beast? How many rounds of stiff loads will it last for? I'm loading with 800-X powder and 180gr. JHP bullets. Do I just go by the feel of the slide, or just change it after so many rounds?
If I but a SS guide rod, which one is best, and what #spring would work well with hot 10mm?
Thanks for the help!!!!

MotorG20
Glock recommends every 3000 to 5000 rounds. If you get peening on the slide, I would recommend changing the recoil spring assembly sooner.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Last edited by Glasshartt; 02-26-2010 at 03:52 AM.

Old 02-26-2010, 04:02 AM   #7

Yikes, I wouldn't want that to happen. I know the stock Glock springs are cheap, so maybe I should change it every 2000rds or so for the mighty 10mm.
Thanks for the input.

MotorG20

Old 02-27-2010, 04:37 AM   #8

Thanks Walter. I was thinking of getting the steel guide rod with heavier recoil sprind and also installing a Lone Wolf 6" 10mm barrel in my G20. I've heard that with that setup, you can really reach well into 41mag territory. Not to mention, I could shoot much cheaper lead bullets in the LW barrel and get better case life than the original Glock barrel. I know some people shoot lead out of their stock Glocks with no reported problems, but to me, peace of mind is worth a few extra dollars.

MotorG20