Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Glock Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   first time shooting my 29. casing split down the middle. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/first-time-shooting-my-29-casing-split-down-middle-88732/)

Ryadew3468 04-13-2013 05:55 PM

first time shooting my 29. casing split down the middle.

1 Attachment(s)
This is the casing. Should I be concerned? I have the other 99 or so rounds that I havent inspected yet. What could be the problem if any?

Tackleberry1 04-13-2013 06:18 PM

By "29" I assume you mean S&W Model 29 .44 Mag?

Most ruptured cases I've seen were due to a deeply pitted or otherwise "out of spec" chamber.

If I've guessed the right firearms, I'd suspect you'll see ^^THIS^^ on 1 of every 6 rounds fired.

Depending on the age of the revolver, "29's" have been around for a while, I'd either ship it to Smith & Wesson with the ruptured case... Or have a local gun smith check it out before firing it any more.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Tack

SSGN_Doc 04-13-2013 06:40 PM

That doesn't look like a .44 mag casing. A .44 mag should have a regular straight case and revolver rim. If you did fire that cartridge in a .44 Mag revolver I wouldn't do it again.

We need to know specifically what gun you are using and how it is marked as far as caliber goes. Then a look at the ammo you are using with a shot of the case headstamp would be useful, or of the factory ammo box if you have that. Without thta info it is really not posible to give good advice.

SSGN_Doc 04-13-2013 06:48 PM

Now I see this is in the Glock section. Makes more sense. I'd still like to see a pic of the ammo box or markings. Sometimes with reloads, a different cal cartridge can get mixed in.

Jagermeister 04-13-2013 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc (Post 1212675)
Now I see this is in the Glock section. Makes more sense. I'd still like to see a pic of the ammo box or markings. Sometimes with reloads, a different cal cartridge can get mixed in.

Funny I just did the same thing on a question about buttstocks. I did not realize it was in the AR15 section. I gave advice for a hunting rifle stock.

I recommed looking at the other rounds. If you have the same problems on the other rounds, return it to Glock for repairs or new gun. They are pretty good at customer service. Plus, **** happens when dealing with any type of mass producing products. If not, what brand of ammo are you using. I have some stories for you...especially with Remington.

Overkill0084 04-13-2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryadew3468 (Post 1212634)
This is the casing. Should I be concerned? I have the other 99 or so rounds that I haven't inspected yet. What could be the problem if any?

I'm assuming that we are discussing factory new 10 mm ammo.
If it's a one-off, I wouldn't sweat it. While not a good thing, the odd case splitting could simply be a bad case. If you see it regularly, try switching ammo brands. If it persists, call Glock.

sniper762 04-13-2013 07:14 PM

casing loaded too many times

cotex 04-13-2013 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sniper762

That's correct time for new brass dude, 44 mag good one.

SSGN_Doc 04-13-2013 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sniper762 (Post 1212695)

That would be my guess. possibly a bit on the hot side as well, or amonia used when cleaning brass which can make it a bit brittle. Hope they aren't lead bullets. Glocks can overpressure with lead or plated bullets.

Ryadew3468 04-13-2013 09:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Glock 29. Its a 10mm. This a brand new gun first time fired since it left the factory. It was PPU jhp 180 gr. Im going to inspect the other brass now. As far as I know this was the only one and it also kept firing afterwards.