first handgun, glocks, and prices
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > first handgun, glocks, and prices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2010, 10:31 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 397 Times on 263 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Default first handgun, glocks, and prices

I'm thinking about getting my first handgun, and I really have my eyes set on a G23. Does anybody think this is a bad idea? I have shot a couple 9mm , 45, and 357 before. I didn't think the recoil was too bad at all, and was definitely something I could manage over time with practice. never shot a .40 though.

Also, I live in St. Louis, MO area, and the prices I've been seeing seem REALLY steep. The numbers for the new ones are between $550-600. Does that seem right, or am I right to be hesitant on that?

All input about being a first shooter, Glocks, and prices would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

I'm also sorry if these questions have been beat to death, but I tried searching, and I'm just not coming up with the answers I'm looking for

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-08-2010, 11:27 PM   #2

Liked 1423 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Want the glock but not the price?

Try the S&W Sigma, your best bang for the buck as a first handgun.

S&W SW9VE 9mm Stainless for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $344.00

If you're anything like us, and you being here indicates you are, this won't be your only handgun purchase.

The first handgun I purchased WAS NOT what I thought it would be! I wish someone gave me this sage advice prior to that purchase.

Several of us have purchased firearms from Bud's Gun Shop and are happy with the experience.

They are a very reputable dealer and their customer service is top notch!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-09-2010, 12:38 AM   #3
lkd

You can find used Glocks for much less if you're willing shop local pawn brokers or go to gun shows. You really won't go wrong with a Glock. Gunbroker.com has several listed in the $350-$450 range
GunBroker.com - Search Results: Glock 23

However, keep in mind that buying from Gunbroker has its own downside: Namely shipping and FFL transfer costs. You can generally expect that the cost will be $35-$75 higher than what you get for the winning bid just to get the gun shipped to an FFL and into your hands.

If you're willing to make the drive, there's a chap selling a G23 in Belle, MO for $479. Glock 23 - 40 S&W Fixed Sights G23 - New in Box! : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

Hope that helps.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:41 AM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3058 Times on 1759 Posts
Likes Given: 1307

You can find a lot of inexpensive guns in shops. How do they get there? Someone bought a gun without doing much research, and found out the gun was not "right" for them. I would suggest a good .357 revolver as a first gun (you can shoot mild .38Spl in in). Learn the basics. Then progress to other forms. Bad habits developed are hard to identify and break with a semi-auto as the first handgun.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 05-09-2010, 10:57 AM   #5
lkd

I (mostly) disagree with your comments, Dan:

1) Claiming "Someone bought a gun without doing much research" really discards a lot of other reasons why pistols are sold: Upgrading, consolidating to a single caliber, estate reasons, etc. You don't know the reasons why they are there. Personally, I've sold many pistols that I've owned, not a single one was because I bought it without doing much research.

2) Suggesting he get a revolver over an autopistol makes no sense. There are several reasons the autopistol has been popular for over 30 years in the civilian market, compared to the revolver (how many police forces still have revolvers as standard issue? I don't know of any in the US). I don't need to list them here, as it's pretty easy to find on the internet. Capacity and rapid reloading are the biggest reasons.

3) Saying he should try guns out before buying them, however, we can very much agree one, but let me take it one step further for SadPanda:

There is a range called Top Gun Shooting Sports and Indoor Range (Top Gun Indoor Range....Arnold, MO) in Arnold, MO. They offer gun rentals and advice/lessons. I _strongly_ advise you to shoot several types of guns (yes, including revolvers should you have an interest ) and make your determination that way.

Hope that helps.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:21 AM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3058 Times on 1759 Posts
Likes Given: 1307

Sorry IKD if you read "all" in my "someone". While you and I may do research, there are still a number who don't. A pawn shop is a way to get rid of a handgun if you are strapped for cash, or can't sell it any other way. Some will pawn a firearm if it is not the "correct" one for them. Look at the history of the S&W .44Mag. It was the "latest and greatest" at its introduction, but some found out that it was not for them.

It is easier to identify a flinch (or other shooter induced problems) with a revolver than a semi-auto. And, in most instances, a revolver is cheaper than a semi-auto. For some people, the revolver is the way to start out.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 05-09-2010, 11:28 AM   #7

I think the 23 will be a fine choice! Just shop around and try and find the best price at your local dealers. If you can shoot the weapon before you buy it! I found that I shot .40 just as well as I do 9mm but that was my experience. Shopping online is fine as well but you wont get to handle the gun and then you have to add FFL transfer fees and tax (if applicable).

Old 05-09-2010, 08:56 PM   #8

Liked 397 Times on 263 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Thank you to everyone for the input. And special thanks to lkd for looking that shop up for me. I actually go to school about a half hour away from there, so I will definitely be checking their store out in person

Old 05-09-2010, 10:44 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I had a Glock 23, and it was a great gun.

The question nobody has asked you yet is what you want it for. Home defense? Concealed carry? Fun time at the range?

It's a lot cheaper to shoot 9mm than .40. It's also a perfectly viable defense round.

As posted above, go rent some things and see what you like best. We can all give you advice and suggestions, and clue you in on some things you might not have thought of, but ultimately, it's going to come down to which gun feels the best for you and puts holes where you want them.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 05-09-2010, 11:21 PM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 620 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 2617

"As posted above, go rent some things and see what you like best. We can all give you advice and suggestions, and clue you in on some things you might not have thought of, but ultimately, it's going to come down to which gun feels the best for you and puts holes where you want them."

YES.

Same advice I give.
Go to a range.
Rent different guns,
different calibers.
Have Fun.