Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > First Glock Recommendations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2010, 05:16 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default First Glock Recommendations

So, I'm getting my permit soon and its right to the gun store I go. I've shot glock 19 (with 115 gr) and 23 (with 180gr). I like the power of the 23 but the 19 is more comfortable to shoot, and I was ultimately more accurate with. Which would be a better choice for a first (and possibly only) handgun? It might be used for CC and target shooting the like. I also want a gun that I could learn advanced concepts such as double taps and drills on. If you had one gun to own, would it be the 19 or 23? Thanks in advance...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-15-2010, 05:25 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Regardless of manufacturer, I think the most important thing for a new gun owner is what are YOU comfortable with in your hand and when you are shooting it?

None of us have to carry or shoot it, so what works for us, might be horrible for you.

You said you like the 19? What did you like about it specifically?

Because if it's 'stopping power' you are worried about, you can get better ammo than the 115gr that you shot originally.

Shooting well, doing double taps or controlled pairs, is just a matter of a lot of practice. Lots and lots of practice.

If you are comfortable with the gun, if you are not "afraid" of the recoil and are willing to practice, you can achieve very good results if you have enough time behind the trigger.

My best recommendation would be to buy the weapon that fits your hand the best and that you are comfortable shooting.

JD

Old 04-15-2010, 05:36 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I had a Glock 19. In fact, it was my first semi-auto pistol. I liked it a lot, but I eventually sold it to a friend. It was a good pistol, but I had discovered the 1911.

Between the 23 or the 19, my suggestion would be the 19. it's a nice size and it will shoot anything. Load it with some 147gr. hollow points and it will be an effective defense weapon.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-15-2010, 05:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I had a Glock 19. In fact, it was my first semi-auto pistol. I liked it a lot, but I eventually sold it to a friend. It was a good pistol, but I had discovered the 1911.

Between the 23 or the 19, my suggestion would be the 19. it's a nice size and it will shoot anything. Load it with some 147gr. hollow points and it will be an effective defense weapon.
I would vote 19. I own a 19 myself and love it. I target shoot with it because the 9mm is a cheap round, esecially compared to the .40. I also carry it for defense. For defense rounds I use 147gr. golden saber hollowpoints. I imagine that would do the trick just fine. Also if you were more accurate with the 19 then that would probably be the better way to go. Dosent matter how much power the round has if you cant hit anything with it. A 9mm is a good solid round that is cheap to shoot.

Nut up or Shut up!

Old 04-15-2010, 05:48 PM   #5

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

If you are looking for a hot PD round take a look at Buffalo Bore's #24A.

It's my carry load for my BHP. Shoots like a 9mm but hits like a .45ACP!

9mm Luger +P+

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-15-2010, 06:24 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks guys, is it really that much cheaper to shoot 9mm? Isn't only a few bucks less a box of 50? I was accurate with the .40 and the 19, but the 19 felt easier to control. I guess the question is to buy the 23 and learn on a harder to shoot weapon... will that ultimately make me a better all around shooter?

Old 04-15-2010, 06:33 PM   #7

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejewels View Post
Thanks guys, is it really that much cheaper to shoot 9mm? Isn't only a few bucks less a box of 50? I was accurate with the .40 and the 19, but the 19 felt easier to control. I guess the question is to buy the 23 and learn on a harder to shoot weapon... will that ultimately make me a better all around shooter?
Not necessarily. I shoot best with .45 from a 1911 - but that's me. In general, I find .40 to be the toughest caliber to shoot well. The recoil is snappy and the muzzle rise is abrupt.

A few bucks per 50 makes a huge difference if you plan on shooting often. I've burned 200 rounds in a single caliber many, many times during a range trip. If you're going to shoot 1 box every few months it probably won't matter to you...

Old 04-16-2010, 01:29 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hard to go wrong starting off with the G19. I have the G23 also and it's a great gun too. But the 9mm is a softer shooting round until you're used to recoil and the ammo is cheaper, so you'll probably shoot more often.

Old 04-16-2010, 03:40 AM   #9
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 461 Times on 253 Posts

You should try a S&W Sigma.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:43 AM   #10

Interesting I had the same dilema you did as far as choice of models goes! I looked at the 19 and 23 and ultimately chose the 19 back in February mainly because I wanted to get used to shooting something with a little less muzzle flip and thought about ammo cost as well and it paid off in my case. I shot a .40 cal last week and I was just as accurate as I normally am with my 9mm so I will be purchasing either a 23 or maybe a 30 this month. I have been carrying my 19 almost daily for the last two weeks with some Gold Dots JHPs for SD with confidence. If I had to pick possible only handgun I would go with the 19 I got over a 1000 rounds through mine with no problems plus the ammo cost difference in my area between 9mm and .40 is about $5 so the 19 is a little cheaper to shoot. Good luck!