First carry gun!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > First carry gun!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2010, 03:01 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default First carry gun!

I am looking into getting my first "carry" gun! But I am still deciding on what cal. to get (i narrowed it down to 9mm,.40,.45). Also,I am still deciding on what "size" to get. I have fairly big hands and I like a GOOD grip on ANY gun I shoot, but I know it will still have to be small enough to be concealed! So, ANY input ya'll have would be very much helpful!!! I am hopefully getting my CCW on Friday

Thanks

AND I want to stick with mainline guns, not some joe smoe gun and be made right here the the good ole' USA

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but hollow points expand on impact.

Last edited by Guns-N-Ammo; 11-10-2010 at 03:03 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-10-2010, 03:04 PM   #2

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Spend a little time reading in the handgun section as I know I've answered dozens of threads just like yours. I did chuckle when you said you narrowed the caliber to between 9mm, .40, and .45 - at least you eliminated that pesky .44 Magnum...

Old 11-10-2010, 03:19 PM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
at least you eliminated that pesky .44 Magnum...
Yeah I didnt think I need something quite that big I will chaeck some of those threads but thanks for shooting me in the right direction!!

Old 11-10-2010, 04:46 PM   #4

Default Glock

Sir; by posting in the Glock; I'll assume you like Glock with larger hands? you'll enjoy the Glock. G-17 9mm G-22 .40; are the ''standard full size'';

follow up with your thoughts;
Thanks for asking :

Craig

♥ Exercise daily - walk with the Lord!

Old 11-10-2010, 05:22 PM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neophyte1 View Post
Sir; by posting in the Glock; I'll assume you like Glock with larger hands? you'll enjoy the Glock. G-17 9mm G-22 .40; are the ''standard full size'';

follow up with your thoughts;
Thanks for asking :
Well I have shot my dads duty gun (G17) and I love it!!! But to carry it I think I would like it to be a little smaller, and I think I have come to conclusion....its going to be a .45 cal.!!!! So would a "compact" work??? I think a "sub compact" would be to small for my likings

Old 11-10-2010, 05:24 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns-N-Ammo View Post
I am looking into getting my first "carry" gun! But I am still deciding on what cal. to get (i narrowed it down to 9mm,.40,.45). Also,I am still deciding on what "size" to get. I have fairly big hands and I like a GOOD grip on ANY gun I shoot, but I know it will still have to be small enough to be concealed! So, ANY input ya'll have would be very much helpful!!! I am hopefully getting my CCW on Friday

Thanks

AND I want to stick with mainline guns, not some joe smoe gun and be made right here the the good ole' USA
I will never understand those people who think they can simply just skip out on the wrong gun and instead make the exact right purchase and that the one magical first gun will be able to do everything that the many thousands of different type guns cannot.
Good Luck

Old 11-10-2010, 06:01 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just a suggestion: You might want to try posting in, say, the more-general Semi-Auto Handguns section (if you're sure you want an auto) or the General Handgun Discussion section (if you're not sure). By posting in the Glock section, you're obviously going to get mostly Glock suggestions. Or... Maybe you're already decided on a Glock???

"If the Earth were made of gold, I guess men would kill for a handful of dirt." - Gary Cooper's last line in the movie THE GARDEN OF EVIL

Old 11-10-2010, 07:58 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 252 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns-N-Ammo View Post
Well I have shot my dads duty gun (G17) and I love it!!! But to carry it I think I would like it to be a little smaller, and I think I have come to conclusion....its going to be a .45 cal.!!!! So would a "compact" work??? I think a "sub compact" would be to small for my likings
Well, if you want a compact 45acp...

I've got an XD45 compact and love it. The Glock model to look at would be model 30. And SW M&P would also be worth exploring. Those are some of the most affordable, mainstream, best bang for your buck options.

If you're willing to jump from that $500 platform into the $700-1000 range, you can also look into Sig p220 compact, H&K compact 45s, and Commander sized 1911s.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:09 PM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Just to clear it up......YES I am looking into getting a GLOCK....so thats why I posted it HERE!!!

Old 11-10-2010, 09:12 PM   #10

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdeserthills View Post
I will never understand those people who think they can simply just skip out on the wrong gun and instead make the exact right purchase and that the one magical first gun will be able to do everything that the many thousands of different type guns cannot.
Good Luck
I've only been a handgun owner for about 2 years. And I no longer own the first few handguns I bought, thinking I had done all my homework and found the perfect gun.

Ain't no perfect gun. There's your favorite gun...but that only comes after many guns have come and gone through your hands.

And then there's the goal of: Oh, honey, just one more gun, please?

On my way to buy an LCP this evening. Thanks, honey!

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face