field stripping a glock

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > field stripping a glock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2007, 05:44 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default field stripping a glock

I have read that when you field strip a glock you are supposed to rack the slide back three or four times and let it go each time but I have also heard that this can be bad for the gun, does anyone have any input on this?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-12-2007, 07:50 PM   #2

all i have read is
make sure unloaded including the clip
rack the slide only once will do
pull trigger
rotate fingers to top of slide
pull back 1/10 " and then pull down the front levers and slide the slide off

Old 10-12-2007, 07:53 PM   #3

oh i forgot the question
racking the slide should no hurt it
glocks have gone for over 300,000 rounds

Old 10-12-2007, 09:31 PM   #4

Default hideit is exactly right

Rack that slide all you want. Unlike a 1911, you won't hurt it by using it!

Fire everyone in Congress NOW.

Old 10-25-2007, 02:38 AM   #5

you wont hurt it but there is no reason to rack it more than once for field stripping..actually you dont even need to rack it if the trigger is already reset.....read you manual...

Glock 23
Smith & Wesson New 520
Taurus 651
Taurus PT92

Old 11-18-2007, 05:23 AM   #6

Racking the slide on the Glock or the bolt on a rifle is just standard safety procedure. You always treat a gun as though it has a round in the chamber until you personally check to be sure it doesn't. Racking the slide helps you verify that the chamber is empty - provided you remove the magazine prior to racking the slide.

No guns, no peace.
Know guns, know peace.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohgr View Post
I have read that when you field strip a glock you are supposed to rack the slide back three or four times and let it go each time but I have also heard that this can be bad for the gun, does anyone have any input on this?
Old thread, but, it's still worth a comment: Why in the world would you do a stupid thing like that? Do you slam the brakes on in your new car in order to see if the ABS is working? If you bought a new hammer would you pound rocks with it just because it can take it?

Contrary to the, 'Glock Mystique', do NOT allow the slide to slam forward on an empty chamber - Ever! The breech face isn't made of some miraculous Austrian, 'mystery medal'; neither is the breech face all that thick; and, yes, I've seen a few that have shown stress cracks around the FP hole - It can (and does) happen!

Doesn't anyone read the Glock Owner's Manual? First you remove the magazine from the pistol; and, then, you should remove it as well as any other magazines or live ammunition far far away from the work area.

Do not - ever - return a magazine to a weapon you have just cleared UNLESS you intend to immediately return that weapon to service.

Glock recommends racking the slide exactly once; however, as a firearms trainer, I can tell you that it's always a much better idea to hand cycle the slide on a semiautomatic pistol TWICE before locking it, back, to the rear on the second cycle.

Next you're supposed to make a visual AND tactile inspection of the pistol's chamber in order to make sure that it's empty. Now, comes the tricky part: SIMPLY CLOSE THE PISTOL'S SLIDE BY GUIDING IT FORWARD WITH YOUR HAND - GENTLY!

Then, point the muzzle in a completely safe direction, and pull the trigger. Next, on a Glock, retract the slide about 1/8", pull down on the slide lock, and remove the slide from the frame. That's it - No pain, no pounding, no trauma, and no slamming the breech face into the barrel hood every time you disassemble your pistol.

If you haven't got an owner's manual give Glock a call. They're free for the asking; and, while you're on the phone, ask the tech rep. to research your pistol's serial number for any possible factory-related service issues.

Last edited by G21.45; 06-06-2008 at 08:57 PM.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:41 PM   #8

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by G21.45 View Post
Contrary to the, 'Glock Mystique', do NOT allow the slide to slam forward on an empty chamber - Ever! The breech face isn't made of some miraculous Austrian, 'mystery medal';
Doesn't anyone read the Glock Owner's Manual?
1) Are you sure it isn't made of Austrian Mystery Metal? I thought this was the end all, beat all firearm for the good of the planet?

2) What's this Owner's Manual you speak of? Real men NEVER need, or read, directions.

3) "Is this your briefcase? Yeah, it is. Why, you want it back?? You gonna do what?!"

Actually +1 on your response. There is really good information there.

JD

Old 06-06-2008, 08:51 PM   #9

OK, Dillinger, you can mess with my head if you want to; but, don't ever screw around with my briefcase!

Old 06-06-2008, 08:54 PM   #10

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Understood. Head - Okay. Briefcase - Off Limits.

Got it.

JD