Failed Glock torture test - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Failed Glock torture test

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2013, 10:37 PM   #41
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5985 Times on 3131 Posts
Likes Given: 427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down_Town_Dalton View Post
After watching multiple videos of glock torture tests, I got the bright idea to just try my own quick little test. I was shooting at my farm when my buddy told me to bury it. So I laid the gen 3 glock 19 with a full mag of American eagle brass, nothing in the pipe on the ground and covered it in dirt. I picked it up , racked the slide and it wouldn't release. Can anyone have any ideas on why my glock petered out? Thanks in advance.
those videos you see of so called torture tests are simply propoganda and much like proffessional wrestling heavily edited made for tv scripted fiction.

put dirt and junk in a gun and they probably will not function. simple as that

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-10-2013, 10:40 PM   #42
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post

BTW, did you know a 1911 can save a child form a burning building?
Yes, but it only works if it's .38 Super. Da da daaaaa!

Old 10-10-2013, 10:41 PM   #43
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5985 Times on 3131 Posts
Likes Given: 427

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Just break it down, run it through the dishwasher (top rack), get it warm but not melty, and lube it well.

(some people do use this method on BP revolvers)
if you do this dont use the dry cycle soon as the heated rinse is done get it out shake it out oil the crap out of it.

the heated dry cycle will rust the internals solid

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Doc3402 Likes This 
Old 10-10-2013, 10:44 PM   #44

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

I am an old HK fan and once saw a demonstration of shooting a second round after a squib load in a USP.
I don't see any need to test that with my pistol. I also have watched guys jump a creek on a 4 wheeler. I have two Glock pistols. They are very well made.
My advice is to choose friends advice with the thought that "would he do it with his pistol?"

Old 10-11-2013, 12:21 AM   #45
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1177 Times on 767 Posts
Likes Given: 706

I would definitely clean your pistols trigger group thoroughly. And. Never do dumb shlt again. Do more research next time.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:28 AM   #46
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1 View Post
...And. Never do dumb shlt again. Do more research next time.
Truly though, poorly thought-out experimentation does keep life interesting doesn't it? The most interesting dates I've been on were with women I neeeever should have been alone with.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-11-2013, 03:31 AM   #47

Liked 1098 Times on 658 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
those videos you see of so called torture tests are simply propoganda and much like proffessional wrestling heavily edited made for tv scripted fiction. put dirt and junk in a gun and they probably will not function. simple as that
Hey wrestling is the real deal!!! It's not edited or scripted!!!

Old 10-11-2013, 06:46 PM   #48

Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts

Let me preface this with the fact that I currently carry a Glock 23 as my primary PDW.

When I watched the video I came up with a few questions, including:

Who are the two guys and what are their qualifications for testing firearms?

How do we know the 1911 in question was reliable in the first place?
Was it always a "lemon?"
Were they firing ammo it was known to balk at?
Was it modified (read "butchered by an armchair gunsmith") in any way?

Did they both get truly the same dirt treatment?
The Glock came out of the dirt pretty quick but, they had to "fish" for the 1911 a bit.

How many times did they "rinse and repeat" to achieve statistical validity? Or, are we supposed to just accept an data set of one as definitive?

I thought it interesting that they referred to the 1911 as a "target gun" with tolerances that were "too tight." Tell that to any of the American GIs who used them successfully in battle and in the worst "torture" conditions imaginable since before WWI. They won't agree. The 1911 was designed with intentionally loose tolerances to allow for battlefield reliability and was expected to produce 3"-4" @ 25 yds. groups. It did it's job as well or better than any sidearm before or (arguably) since.

People for decades bought 1911s and, knowing they wouldn't be slogging through muddy trenches or sandy deserts, immediately sent them to gunsmiths to tune and tighten so that they would shoot better than the normal 3"-4" at 25 yds battle standard. Now manufacturers put out "factory-custom" guns with all those bells and whistles standard giving guns that are phenomenally accurate and we now get guys whining that they are "too tight?" If you want to make a fair comparison, test the Glock against and original, Mil-Spec 1911. I'd bet you'll see them perform pretty much the same in both reliability and accuracy.

The Glock (and any similar striker-fired gun) does have a small advantage in such "tests" because its firing mechanism is, comparatively speaking, "closed" - whereas the 1911s (and similar, hammer-fired guns) are more "open" and could allow more dirt into the mechanism. I know of no actual, scientifically-valid testing to see the real difference but, I would be very surprised to see it prove significant.

Last edited by lucznik; 10-11-2013 at 07:02 PM.
People Like This 
Old 10-11-2013, 09:11 PM   #49
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucznik View Post
Let me preface this with the fact that I currently carry a Glock 23 as my primary PDW.

When I watched the video I came up with a few questions, including:

Who are the two guys and what are their qualifications for testing firearms?

How do we know the 1911 in question was reliable in the first place?
Was it always a "lemon?"
Were they firing ammo it was known to balk at?
Was it modified (read "butchered by an armchair gunsmith") in any way?

Did they both get truly the same dirt treatment?
The Glock came out of the dirt pretty quick but, they had to "fish" for the 1911 a bit.

How many times did they "rinse and repeat" to achieve statistical validity? Or, are we supposed to just accept an data set of one as definitive?

I thought it interesting that they referred to the 1911 as a "target gun" with tolerances that were "too tight." Tell that to any of the American GIs who used them successfully in battle and in the worst "torture" conditions imaginable since before WWI. They won't agree. The 1911 was designed with intentionally loose tolerances to allow for battlefield reliability and was expected to produce 3"-4" @ 25 yds. groups. It did it's job as well or better than any sidearm before or (arguably) since.

People for decades bought 1911s and, knowing they wouldn't be slogging through muddy trenches or sandy deserts, immediately sent them to gunsmiths to tune and tighten so that they would shoot better than the normal 3"-4" at 25 yds battle standard. Now manufacturers put out "factory-custom" guns with all those bells and whistles standard giving guns that are phenomenally accurate and we now get guys whining that they are "too tight?" If you want to make a fair comparison, test the Glock against and original, Mil-Spec 1911. I'd bet you'll see them perform pretty much the same in both reliability and accuracy.

The Glock (and any similar striker-fired gun) does have a small advantage in such "tests" because its firing mechanism is, comparatively speaking, "closed" - whereas the 1911s (and similar, hammer-fired guns) are more "open" and could allow more dirt into the mechanism. I know of no actual, scientifically-valid testing to see the real difference but, I would be very surprised to see it prove significant.
this is very well said. this is why any bozo can put up a YouTube video and make up his own test and make his firearm seem to be the best. uncontrolled testing. and editing, a person can do just about anything.

Old 10-13-2013, 04:13 PM   #50

Liked 113 Times on 85 Posts

Like I said before I would be more interested in how many rounds a gun can fire before parts break than some ridiculous torture test. You ever see that fps Russia dudes glock torture test on youtube? That's how I feel about all torture test, pointless. If you neglect and abuse any tool it will eventually fail.