Does a Lasermax guidrod make my Glock less reliable for CC?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Does a Lasermax guidrod make my Glock less reliable for CC?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2012, 01:04 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Does a Lasermax guidrod make my Glock less reliable for CC?

James Yeager said in a video that Crimson Trace was the best laser to put on a weapon and they were very reliable. I can't argue that they are good but, they aren't really southpaw friendly because they're all made for the right side of a pistol. The kydex is gonna wear on that thing through repeated holstering (so I was told, and it sounds reasonable). Jaded, I sent him a message and said something to the tune of "hey James, what about Lasermax 'cause Crimson Trace sucks for lefty's" and he replied simply "it's gonna break and lock up your gun." I looked on the web for cases of this and really didn't see any. I respect James and all, but I would think Lasermax would make their guidrods AT LEAST to the specs of the little cheap Glock guidrods. Oh yeah, it's a gen 3 g19 rtf...thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-14-2012, 01:58 AM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I haven't had an issue with my laser max in a glock 19 and I also used it in a glock 23. But I would replace the springs often because after a thousand or so rounds there spring gets weak and wont return slide to battery. BTW I've had it for over an decade.

Old 07-14-2012, 02:17 AM   #3
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

I've been interested in them for a while since all my glocks are Gen 2. I have heard reports of the lasers crapping out. They usually get replaced but I've heard of people having multiple failures. I honestly haven't checked back in on them in a while they may have fixed the issues. Haven't heard of a case where it failed and caused the gun to jam. I just never made the jump due to price and complaints. If you find out they have fixed the issues let me know. If I can trust it I would buy one.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 07-14-2012, 02:22 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I know that lots of people frown on messing with the internals of an EDC weapon, BUT it's a freakin guide rod!! The standard Glock rod looks pathetically cheap anyway (though they serve the purpose just fine). I would think that a $300 replacement wouldn't be a bad thing. Like you said, as long as I replace the spring every once and a while I should be just as well off.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:04 AM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayscat44 View Post
I know that lots of people frown on messing with the internals of an EDC weapon, BUT it's a freakin guide rod!! The standard Glock rod looks pathetically cheap anyway (though they serve the purpose just fine). I would think that a $300 replacement wouldn't be a bad thing. Like you said, as long as I replace the spring every once and a while I should be just as well off.

Yeah I have all three systems , crimson trace , applied laser systems and lasermax they all have there strengths and weakness's. just depends on your needs.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:35 AM   #6

Liked 2517 Times on 1131 Posts
Likes Given: 2416

There isn't a whole lot of stress on a guide rod.

Old 07-14-2012, 04:13 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282
There isn't a whole lot of stress on a guide rod.
I agree, that's why I was wondering why he would make such a claim. Usually his info or advise is pretty solid. I came to you guys 'cause I thought maybe there was something I was missing or didn't know about concerning the integrity of the Lasermax. Most everyone says "no problems". I am aware that the laser would be VERY unlikely ever to play any kind of roll in a self defense situation but I just wanted to kinda trick out my 19 a little (laser, light, tactical racker, bigdots,rtf & etc), nothin' wrong with that
I left the 23 humble (just night sights)

Old 07-14-2012, 08:38 AM   #8

Liked 2517 Times on 1131 Posts
Likes Given: 2416

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayscat44 View Post
I agree, that's why I was wondering why he would make such a claim. Usually his info or advise is pretty solid. I came to you guys 'cause I thought maybe there was something I was missing or didn't know about concerning the integrity of the Lasermax. Most everyone says "no problems". I am aware that the laser would be VERY unlikely ever to play any kind of roll in a self defense situation but I just wanted to kinda trick out my 19 a little (laser, light, tactical racker, bigdots,rtf & etc), nothin' wrong with that
I left the 23 humble (just night sights)
I went to his web site and checked out his credentials. He seems like an accomplished young man but no where in his credentials did it mention master gunsmith.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by derpie View Post
I haven't had an issue with my laser max in a glock 19 and I also used it in a glock 23. But I would replace the springs often because after a thousand or so rounds there spring gets weak and wont return slide to battery. BTW I've had it for over an decade.
I've used one in my Glock 26 for about 10 years and haven't had any problems other the slide release swithch is not the easiest of things to use. I m curious as to what springs you replace; are you refering to the ones on the laser itself?

As for accuracy, the laser has put me within it's specified limits repeatedly but as everyone knows....rely on the iron sights not the batteries.

Thanks
Dick

Old 07-14-2012, 12:04 PM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick_M15 View Post
I've used one in my Glock 26 for about 10 years and haven't had any problems other the slide release swithch is not the easiest of things to use. I m curious as to what springs you replace; are you refering to the ones on the laser itself?

As for accuracy, the laser has put me within it's specified limits repeatedly but as everyone knows....rely on the iron sights not the batteries.

Thanks
Dick
The recoil spring after you shoot it alot you see what I mean.