Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Glock Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   Does a Lasermax guidrod make my Glock less reliable for CC? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/does-lasermax-guidrod-make-my-glock-less-reliable-cc-68187/)

mayscat44 07-14-2012 01:04 AM

Does a Lasermax guidrod make my Glock less reliable for CC?

James Yeager said in a video that Crimson Trace was the best laser to put on a weapon and they were very reliable. I can't argue that they are good but, they aren't really southpaw friendly because they're all made for the right side of a pistol. The kydex is gonna wear on that thing through repeated holstering (so I was told, and it sounds reasonable). Jaded, I sent him a message and said something to the tune of "hey James, what about Lasermax 'cause Crimson Trace sucks for lefty's" and he replied simply "it's gonna break and lock up your gun." I looked on the web for cases of this and really didn't see any. I respect James and all, but I would think Lasermax would make their guidrods AT LEAST to the specs of the little cheap Glock guidrods. Oh yeah, it's a gen 3 g19 rtf...thanks

derpie 07-14-2012 01:58 AM

I haven't had an issue with my laser max in a glock 19 and I also used it in a glock 23. But I would replace the springs often because after a thousand or so rounds there spring gets weak and wont return slide to battery. BTW I've had it for over an decade.

mountainman13 07-14-2012 02:17 AM

I've been interested in them for a while since all my glocks are Gen 2. I have heard reports of the lasers crapping out. They usually get replaced but I've heard of people having multiple failures. I honestly haven't checked back in on them in a while they may have fixed the issues. Haven't heard of a case where it failed and caused the gun to jam. I just never made the jump due to price and complaints. If you find out they have fixed the issues let me know. If I can trust it I would buy one.

mayscat44 07-14-2012 02:22 AM

I know that lots of people frown on messing with the internals of an EDC weapon, BUT it's a freakin guide rod!! The standard Glock rod looks pathetically cheap anyway (though they serve the purpose just fine). I would think that a $300 replacement wouldn't be a bad thing. Like you said, as long as I replace the spring every once and a while I should be just as well off.

derpie 07-14-2012 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayscat44 (Post 869008)
I know that lots of people frown on messing with the internals of an EDC weapon, BUT it's a freakin guide rod!! The standard Glock rod looks pathetically cheap anyway (though they serve the purpose just fine). I would think that a $300 replacement wouldn't be a bad thing. Like you said, as long as I replace the spring every once and a while I should be just as well off.

Yeah I have all three systems , crimson trace , applied laser systems and lasermax they all have there strengths and weakness's. just depends on your needs.

rjd3282 07-14-2012 03:35 AM

There isn't a whole lot of stress on a guide rod.

mayscat44 07-14-2012 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjd3282
There isn't a whole lot of stress on a guide rod.

I agree, that's why I was wondering why he would make such a claim. Usually his info or advise is pretty solid. I came to you guys 'cause I thought maybe there was something I was missing or didn't know about concerning the integrity of the Lasermax. Most everyone says "no problems". I am aware that the laser would be VERY unlikely ever to play any kind of roll in a self defense situation but I just wanted to kinda trick out my 19 a little (laser, light, tactical racker, bigdots,rtf & etc), nothin' wrong with that :)
I left the 23 humble (just night sights)

rjd3282 07-14-2012 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayscat44 (Post 869132)
I agree, that's why I was wondering why he would make such a claim. Usually his info or advise is pretty solid. I came to you guys 'cause I thought maybe there was something I was missing or didn't know about concerning the integrity of the Lasermax. Most everyone says "no problems". I am aware that the laser would be VERY unlikely ever to play any kind of roll in a self defense situation but I just wanted to kinda trick out my 19 a little (laser, light, tactical racker, bigdots,rtf & etc), nothin' wrong with that :)
I left the 23 humble (just night sights)

I went to his web site and checked out his credentials. He seems like an accomplished young man but no where in his credentials did it mention master gunsmith. :)

Dick_M15 07-14-2012 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derpie (Post 868978)
I haven't had an issue with my laser max in a glock 19 and I also used it in a glock 23. But I would replace the springs often because after a thousand or so rounds there spring gets weak and wont return slide to battery. BTW I've had it for over an decade.

I've used one in my Glock 26 for about 10 years and haven't had any problems other the slide release swithch is not the easiest of things to use. I m curious as to what springs you replace; are you refering to the ones on the laser itself?

As for accuracy, the laser has put me within it's specified limits repeatedly but as everyone knows....rely on the iron sights not the batteries.

Thanks
Dick

derpie 07-14-2012 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick_M15 (Post 869234)
I've used one in my Glock 26 for about 10 years and haven't had any problems other the slide release swithch is not the easiest of things to use. I m curious as to what springs you replace; are you refering to the ones on the laser itself?

As for accuracy, the laser has put me within it's specified limits repeatedly but as everyone knows....rely on the iron sights not the batteries.

Thanks
Dick

The recoil spring after you shoot it alot you see what I mean.