Considering the Kool Aid
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Considering the Kool Aid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2012, 08:49 PM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2996 Times on 1561 Posts
Likes Given: 279

Default Considering the Kool Aid

I have never owned a Glock though I have shot them many times. I was never fond of the grip angle and the 3rd gen fingergroves sit on my large fingers rather than between them. I am a reloader and bullet caster and know the rep of the Glock barrels and cast bullets.

WTS, my duty gun is a S&W 1006, 10 mm. I am the only one grandfathered in my agency to carry the 10mm. I want a light rail equipped pistol as I work nights and am handicapped with a 20 year old pistol.

I have considered the M&P 40 and 45, but would like to stay with the 10mm if possible. The 45 is a good cartridge, but the 10 mm is a great cartridge. The 40 is weak to me. I have 40 caliber pistols and carry one off duty, but having the extra power and range of the 10 is comforting. I do not carry "sub sonic", " FBI lite" loads, I carry the full house Silvertips as Speer does not load a 10mm Gold Dot and Agency policy is Gold Dot or Silvertip.

An M&P 40 gives me the versitility of switching to .357 Sig with a barrel swap and I like the ergonomics of the M&P. I still want my 10mm. The M&P 45 is, well, a 10 round 45. Not really gaining anything there.

I have a coworker that has a new in the box G-20C that he bought several years ago on a whim. He is looking to sell and I can get a good deal. The Lone Wolf conversion barrels for .40, .357 Sig and 9 X 25 can turn this pistol into a do it all 4 caliber gun.

My question is, does anyone have any experience with these Lone Wolf barrels? How does the .40 run out of the deeper mags of the G20? Is it truly a drop in and go proposition or does there need to be some tweaking? I can have a 4 caliber gun with 5 mags and holster for under a grand.

I am almost a Glock guy.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Last edited by robocop10mm; 02-26-2012 at 08:51 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-26-2012, 09:17 PM   #2
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7814 Times on 4690 Posts
Likes Given: 9837

Go for it. Whatever makes you happy. I see nothing wrong with it.

Old 03-04-2012, 04:59 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Really? No more responses? I would have thought I would get more of a response.

"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-04-2012, 05:16 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I know a few people that use the lone wolf barrel to shoot exposed lead reloads. So far they like the accuracy and it is a perfect fir for the Glocks. I don't know about the tweaking that would need to be done for the different caliber barrels. BUT I do know the Glocks in 10mm and 45 ACP have a wider slide than that of the 9mm and 40 s&w. it might be something to ask a gun smith or get a few opinions from a few local gun smiths.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:19 AM   #5

Sorry man, I've never used any of the conversion barrels.

As a previous Glock hater, current Glock lover, I can tell you I really didn't want to like Glocks. I did everything I could to hate them. Then one day for some reason I bought a 17 and have never looked back.

People say they don't fit their hand, the grip angle is wrong, and sights suck, they sit too low in the hand, etc etc etc. All I know is I can flat out shoot them well.

From the sounds of it, you've shot them extensively, and still don't like them. As much as I like Glocks and would like to recommend them, if this is true I can't honestly say that I would get a pistol I don't like just because it's in a caliber that I do like.

However, if your bias is unfounded like mine was, I say go for it. You may be surprised at how much you like them.

While I've never used the conversions, there are many that do and have had zero problem with them. The 40 and 10 even use the same ejector so that wouldn't be an issue, and I doubt the mag would either. I wouldn't let the conversion issue hold me back.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 03-04-2012, 05:21 AM   #6
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7814 Times on 4690 Posts
Likes Given: 9837

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
What?! You didn't like my professional response telling you the pros and cons of Lone Wolf barrels?

Old 03-04-2012, 05:24 AM   #7

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Quote:

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 03-04-2012, 05:41 AM   #8
I don't come with an "edit" option....
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 852 Times on 535 Posts
Likes Given: 4461

Quote:
I have never owned a Glock though I have shot them many times. I was never fond of the grip angle and the 3rd gen fingergroves sit on my large fingers rather than between them. I am a reloader and bullet caster and know the rep of the Glock barrels and cast bullets.

WTS, my duty gun is a S&W 1006, 10 mm. I am the only one grandfathered in my agency to carry the 10mm. I want a light rail equipped pistol as I work nights and am handicapped with a 20 year old pistol.

I have considered the M&P 40 and 45, but would like to stay with the 10mm if possible. The 45 is a good cartridge, but the 10 mm is a great cartridge. The 40 is weak to me. I have 40 caliber pistols and carry one off duty, but having the extra power and range of the 10 is comforting. I do not carry "sub sonic", " FBI lite" loads, I carry the full house Silvertips as Speer does not load a 10mm Gold Dot and Agency policy is Gold Dot or Silvertip.

An M&P 40 gives me the versitility of switching to .357 Sig with a barrel swap and I like the ergonomics of the M&P. I still want my 10mm. The M&P 45 is, well, a 10 round 45. Not really gaining anything there.

I have a coworker that has a new in the box G-20C that he bought several years ago on a whim. He is looking to sell and I can get a good deal. The Lone Wolf conversion barrels for .40, .357 Sig and 9 X 25 can turn this pistol into a do it all 4 caliber gun.

My question is, does anyone have any experience with these Lone Wolf barrels? How does the .40 run out of the deeper mags of the G20? Is it truly a drop in and go proposition or does there need to be some tweaking? I can have a 4 caliber gun with 5 mags and holster for under a grand.

I am almost a Glock guy.
I've never been a fan of Glock's grip. The G20 I have was modified for me while I was overseas. I can find out where it was sent to have the grip "straightened" (for a lack of a better term).

Insert witty comment here......

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 03-04-2012, 07:11 AM   #9

Liked 229 Times on 141 Posts

Ughh... I would say don't surrender to the ways of the glocksucker,but... as long as you can use it adequately,getting it for the 10mm is the only reason I would buy one as its the best option for the caliber available so I can't judge.

Nothing wrong with glocks,just the glock mindset that a glock is the one size fits all perfect gun and that if you don't like them then your a hater or glock basher. My PPQ will eat a g19 for breakfast,just saying... mini-rant over. (Sorry guys,this happens everytime someone says glock to me in real life,I can't help it)

Old 03-04-2012, 07:38 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

I have always wondered if it is "Glock - Perfection", then why are there so many aftermarket parts and "upgrades" available? Should they just be "perfect" out of the box? I'm just sayin'.

"Perfection" is just a marketing slogan of course. No one gun can possibly be "perfect" for all people under all circumstances.

Of course, if I do make the switch, I will run 4-500 rds through it before carry and likely have 2000 down range in the first year. My 4506/1006 pair of Smiths have at least 10K total through them. I hit what I aim at with monotonous regularity.

"Robo is right" Fuzzball