I made the exact same mistake that it seems you are about to make. I bought a ported xd 40 for a carry piece. It quickly became retired and replaced and here's why.
1. as mentioned before, the flame from the ports at night will blind you. trust me
2. the gasses from the ports will black out the white dot on the front sight after about 3 rounds. if you're target shooting indoors, you basically just lost your front sight. this sucks. trust me
3. those ports are LOUD. i mean far and above the noise of the same gun without the ports. trust me.
4. if you ever fire the gun close to your body, like in a struggle, those ports are going to eff you up when you shoot! This one I haven't actually tested so I won't say trust me, but rather feel free to find out for yourself...
5. I've shot the exact same gun without the ports, using the same ammo, against my ported one and the difference in recoil is almost nothing. (Did I mention I paid more for my ported model because I didn't know any better?)
6. I also own a G23 NON ported, and I use it for my daily carry. I spend a lot of time shooting it with handloads that are a little bit on the hot side and i can get back on target just as fast as my hk P30 and my beretta 92fs (both 9mm's)
7. If I were to ever buy another ported handgun it would have to be for target use only. Period.