Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Glock Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   Cleaning problem/question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/cleaning-problem-question-44958/)

theargonaut 07-09-2011 03:32 PM

Cleaning problem/question

Hi folks. So I was cleaning my Glock this morning and no matter how many times I run my patch through (with Hoppe's) I'm still getting black residue. Now, I am pretty sure that I only cleaned it with dry patches two weekends ago as an oversight (yes I'm a newb) so this is the first time in 2 weeks it has really been cleaned with Hoppe's. I shot 100 rounds through it 2 weeks ago and then 150 last night. Every time after I put the bronze bristle brush through then run a Hoppe's patch through it, it's still coming out with black. I did this for about 40 minutes switching back and forth between the wet Hoppe's patch and the bronze brush. Am I ruining the barrel? Should I still be getting black **** on the patch? Not sure if I should keep proceeding until the patches are clean. Thanks.

Firearms4ever 07-09-2011 03:38 PM

There's your problem, because you cleaned it with only dry patches the powder residue had time to settle and harden in the barrel. You' going to want to soak it really good with the Hoppe's you have let it sit for a while, and then run patches and brushes through it. I also recommend you try either Remington Cleaning oil/lubricant, and or Ballistol cleaning oil/lubricant. I never did like Hoppe's very much.

canebrake 07-09-2011 03:43 PM

Try using a nylon brush, not the bronze.

I think your solvent is reacting with your bronze brush.

PanBaccha 07-09-2011 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firearms4ever (Post 537708)
There's your problem, because you cleaned it with only dry patches the powder residue had time to settle and harden in the barrel. You' going to want to soak it really good with the Hoppe's you have let it sit for a while, and then run patches and brushes through it.

True enough. Also what kind of ammo are you using that effortlessly fills your barrel?

theargonaut 07-09-2011 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firearms4ever (Post 537708)
There's your problem, because you cleaned it with only dry patches the powder residue had time to settle and harden in the barrel. You' going to want to soak it really good with the Hoppe's you have let it sit for a while, and then run patches and brushes through it. I also recommend you try either Remington Cleaning oil/lubricant, and or Ballistol cleaning oil/lubricant. I never did like Hoppe's very much.

Yeah it is not good. I know it is my fault and it wasn't done on purpose. So running the brass brush through isn't damaging the barrel then right? I don't want to do that.

I do have Remington cleaning oil as well. So I should spray a bunch in there and let it sit? How long? Thank you for responding.

theargonaut 07-09-2011 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PanBaccha (Post 537711)
True enough. Also what kind of ammo are you using that effortlessly fills your barrel?

Sellier and Bellot 9mm Police

Firearms4ever 07-09-2011 08:11 PM

As long as you're using a brush that is for the caliber handgun you're cleaning then it should be fine. Do you know how to remove the barrel from the slide? If you do then what you should do is take the barrel and put it on something to soak up the spray and all (or use some type of container to put it in) and spray the inside of the barrel very well (make sure you spray a good amount, not just so there's enough of it in the barrel to wet it). Let the barrel soak for I would say half a day to a day. Once you let it sit for that time then run patches and brushes through it. Make sure you try the Remington oil/lubricant, because I've used both of them and I find that Hoppe's just doesn't perform as well as the Remington or Ballistol. Here's a link to a youtube buddy of mine on cleaning glocks.

If you have anymore trouble, need advice, or ect don't hesitate to ask me :).

StanDJ77 07-09-2011 10:10 PM

yea buddy

Yea hickok45 has good vids. As for your solvent, if you dont mind ordering off the internet, i would recommend ballistol;) soak that barrel in that stuff and it should do the trick. Ballistol seems to penetrate the metal or something, after a few cleanings, that barrel will feel like glass.

theargonaut 07-10-2011 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firearms4ever (Post 537857)
As long as you're using a brush that is for the caliber handgun you're cleaning then it should be fine. Do you know how to remove the barrel from the slide? If you do then what you should do is take the barrel and put it on something to soak up the spray and all (or use some type of container to put it in) and spray the inside of the barrel very well (make sure you spray a good amount, not just so there's enough of it in the barrel to wet it). Let the barrel soak for I would say half a day to a day. Once you let it sit for that time then run patches and brushes through it. Make sure you try the Remington oil/lubricant, because I've used both of them and I find that Hoppe's just doesn't perform as well as the Remington or Ballistol. Here's a link to a youtube buddy of mine on cleaning glocks. YouTube - ‪Glock Cleaning Basics‬‏

If you have anymore trouble, need advice, or ect don't hesitate to ask me :).

Thanks for your help. Funny that you shared this video. This is the exact video that I have based my cleaning on :) Go hickock! I'm going to leave it be for now until I shoot it again. I'll update the thread the next time I clean it. I'm going to use the rest of my Rem Oil then switch to Ballistol. Shame I bought a quart of Hoppe's :( Thanks for your help!

Bigcountry02 07-10-2011 09:29 PM

Link to the Ballistol website:

ballistol - The World's Most Use-ful & Environmentally Friendly Lubricant

I will need to order some of this lubricant.