Christmas came early!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Christmas came early!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2011, 05:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Christmas came early!

My hubby got me a brand new Glock 26! Nothing says Merry Christmas like a firearm you've had your eyes on for the past several months! Have shot my uncle's 26 and fell in love with it. Now, I have my own. If anyone has any advice on the 26, I'm all ears.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-15-2011, 06:04 PM   #2

Congrats. I have one also. Don't shoot lead bullets through it. Jacketed only. It has polygonal rifling so lead will build up in the rifling and plug up the barrel, causing pressure to build and possibly explode the barrel after as few as 100 rounds.

Other than that, it is a reliable gun. You can get an extended 30 round glock magazine for a G17 that will work in your G26 online for around $40. Only buy a mag made by glock. The korean mags are worthless.

Read the glock armorer's manual to learn how to disassemble the entire gun if you want to delve into its internal operation. Don't be scared, they are very simple guns.

Also, the sights on the G26 aren't the best in the world. They're fine for up close, and perhaps that is what the gun is intended for, but you might want to consider some truglo night sights at least. If you are having trouble with the slide release being too stiff, a replacement extended slide release is fairly cheap and super easy to install. It's small in my opinion, and the extended release will be easier to push down.

Pierce grip extensions might be the best way to put an extra finger on the grip. They replace the floorplate of the factory 10rd mags. So you could buy three if you want extensions on all your mags. Use a vicegrip to squeeze the base of the mag and get the floorplate out. You need to squeeze it good to get the tabs out, and then stick a small punch in the hole and pry the floorplate off.

If you can initially only load 8 rounds in your factory mags, keep them loaded for a while. Then you should be able to add another round. The spring in there is stiff as a mofo.

My girlfriend shoots low with my 26. I use the point of impact aim (level the sights, POI is the target directly above the front sight) and I am on target. My girlfriend needs to use the actual dot on the front sight as the POI to compensate for low shots. Don't understand why, but if you are shooting low, just try using the dot.

Last edited by triggernomic; 12-15-2011 at 06:35 PM.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:08 PM   #3

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

Charliegirl, nice present from your husband! I think you'll love the G26, especially if you plan to carry concealed which is the main advantage the G26 has over the larger G19. I love my G27 which is the same size but in 40S&W. I also have the larger G23 (same size as the G19) and both excel at different tasks.

The only negative to the G26 is its small size and that it holds 10 rounds instead of the G19's 15 rounds. But small size can be a huge advantage and of course the G26 works with longer mags.

triggernomic gave you excellent advice, I'd look at the Pearce finger extensions he mentioned, they're cheap and give you a pinky rest plus can add two extra rounds (for a total of 12 instead of 10). I have them on my three G27 mags and before my little finger had nowhere to go but the finger extensions solved that nicely without taking away much from concealed carry. As he said, they are hard to install but there are YouTube videos that show the technique triggernomic described. Glock also sells its own +2 magazine but it's bulkier and uglier and much more expensive than the Pearce finger extensions which look like part of the gun. (Edit: the Pearce extensions aren't hard to install, it's taking apart Glock magazines that is hard the first time.)

And again I have to agree with what triggernomic said about the Truglo sights. I have their TFO sights installed on my G27 and they're great at night, in the daylight and twilight.

But right now all you have to do is go out and shoot your new Glock! Have fun and make sure everything works and that you are satisfied before making permanent changes. Let us know how it goes for you!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 12-15-2011 at 07:11 PM.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:38 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Christmas came early!

Hhmmm ... wonder what he did?
flowrsw.jpg  

Old 12-15-2011, 08:21 PM   #5

Great advice guys! Thank you! P.S. Does having your pinky on the grip help for better aim?? Or is it a comfort thing for you?

PanBaccha - It's not what he did, I think it's what he wants! He thinks he sees an AR-15 in his future!

Old 12-15-2011, 09:03 PM   #6
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 1329 Times on 899 Posts
Likes Given: 168

I too have a 26 with about 850 rds down the pipe, and never one single malfunction.... I have the extension for the pinky, however to me it is not needed, because you should not be gripping with the pinky extension, it should be just for comfort...

I love my 26, and i am confident you will love yours..... ENJOY!

Old 12-15-2011, 09:25 PM   #7

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Congrats and Merry Christmas!! I don't have a 26 but I do have a 27. The shorter grip can take a little getting used to. You can get mag extensions for it but then I think you make it out to be almost a G19. Enjoy it!

Old 12-15-2011, 10:22 PM   #8

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliegirl View Post
Great advice guys! Thank you! P.S. Does having your pinky on the grip help for better aim?? Or is it a comfort thing for you?
For me it's mainly comfort, I don't like curling my little finger under the magazine. And it does let you grip tighter which may be more helpful on the 40S&W which does have more recoil. I don't know that it helps much with accuracy but no doubt that depends on the individual. Anyway, at $6 it's worth a try!

Pearce Black Grip Extension For Glock 26/27/33/39 $6.01

EDIT: Hmmm that one seems a little big, this is the one I have on my G27:
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/72858

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 12-15-2011 at 10:24 PM.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:53 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1023 Times on 618 Posts
Likes Given: 224

CG, my wife agrees with out She has a Bersa .380 sitting under the tree. I won't let her shoot it until after Christmas!

Old 12-16-2011, 01:08 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliegirl View Post

PanBaccha - It's not what he did, I think it's what he wants! He thinks he sees an AR-15 in his future!
I think for most people it is just a comfort thing, which can cause a person to shoot better. For me I never use my pinky when grasping a firearm unless it is a big revolver, because I started shooting handguns that I could not get my pinky on the grip without a finger extension. It's rather ironic, because I have small to medium sized hands .

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp