Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > carry glock need to be stock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2008, 12:43 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default carry glock need to be stock

im have been looking at getting a glock g20 10mm to carry. i do any comp shooting yet but i might in the future. would it seem like "overkill" to upgrade a gun i was just going to carry?

Last edited by maine10mm; 06-10-2008 at 01:17 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-10-2008, 11:25 AM   #2

I've always used Glocks with good success the way they came. They've proven to be a very reliable tool. I don't think modifying yours would be considered overkill though. It's all about personal preference.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:18 PM   #3

glocks seem to handle fine and perform dependably right out the box. as fara upgrades, good nights sights are always helpful.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:52 PM   #4

Well, like so many other things in life, you've got to have some familiarity with the subject and know what you're supposed to be doing. My own everyday carry Glocks are far, far, from factory standard. They are, also, 'tuned like a Rolex' and utterly reliable.

Here's a list of most of what I've done:

(1) Meprolight night sights,
(2) Dual barrels. One factory, and one 5 1/8" Bar-Sto Precision barrel,
(3) Polished feed ramps,
(4) Wolff steel guide rod with standard 17# spring,
(5) ALL Wolff, '+ power' springs, (Except the factory SLB spring)
(6) FULLY mirror-polished action,
(7) 'Skeletonized' LWD 4.5# connector,
(8) LWD's Extended Slide Lock,
(9) LWD's, 'GUTS' trigger stop, (With permanently epoxied setscrew)
(10) Upgraded, #4256-1 trigger bar,
(11) Upgraded, spring-loaded bearing,
(12) Upgraded, FP safety plunger,
(13) Jentra butt-cap,
(14) LWD aluminum slide cover,
(15) Skateboard tape grip panels,
(16) Arredondo 17 round (backup) magazine.

Last edited by G21.45; 06-10-2008 at 07:56 PM.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:09 AM   #5

i think you had more fun describing your custom glock than you did giving advice. LOL. how do the meprolight sights work for you? i have trijicon on my duty and glock factory on my personal glock. i'm looking for sights to put on my sig 239.

Old 06-11-2008, 01:54 AM   #6

Default thanks

hey thanks for the info but from what i read from other posts im not so shore with it being stock. im going to be shooting 200 grain jhp's. would it be a bad idea to put a better barrel in it?

Old 06-11-2008, 05:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltm4 View Post
i think you had more fun describing your custom glock than you did giving advice. LOL. how do the meprolight sights work for you? i have trijicon on my duty and glock factory on my personal glock. i'm looking for sights to put on my sig 239.
Truthfully? The Meprolights can be almost too bright; but, then again, the Trijicons are probably brighter still. You've got clear glass vials with white painted rings around them. (Watch the cleaning solvents on those white rings!) I've got slightly less clear acrylic vials in my Meprolights, but no painted white rings to have to worry about.

By the way, the Glock factory night sights use Meprolight tritium vials too; so, for all practical purposes, these two sights are the same - Only the Glock night sights cost less!

Because I know what you do for a living, I'll warn you about a little known fact: In a really dark environment a bright front sight can momentarily blind you, and might even cause you to briefly lose the target for, 'just long enough'.

(So, never forget that - if you really need to - you can always slightly lower the pistol, look over the top of that brilliant front sight while holding low on COM, and shoot off the, 'back of the slide' in order to center the rounds right where they should be.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maine10mm View Post
hey thanks for the info but from what i read from other posts im not so shore with it being stock. im going to be shooting 200 grain jhp's. would it be a bad idea to put a better barrel in it?
No, it would not be a bad idea to pickup an aftermarket barrel. If you do, I'd recommend adding an inch to the length and porting the muzzle. Like with this .6 inch extension on my 45 Super pistol.

(Hits really hard! Right up there with the 10mm; and, it's also a dual caliber 45 acp pistol - too!)

Last edited by G21.45; 06-11-2008 at 05:28 AM.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:31 PM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

As it stands, most GLOCKS work everytime, right out of the box. Changing things on it tends to negate that.

I want my CCW piece to work every time I pull the trigger.

YMMV.