Can I Or Can I NOT??
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Can I Or Can I NOT??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2009, 12:40 AM   #1

Default Can I Or Can I NOT??

Have New G17L and G24 (3rd Gen) and I WILL RELOAD FOR THEM BOTH!!! Please Straight Facts and or Information, I Don't Want your OPINION: 2007/2008 Facts And Information!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-01-2009, 12:45 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

What does your owner's manual say about it? As long as you're loading every round to SAAMI specified pressures, I don't see why there would be an issue. SAAMI spec 9x19 Parabellum pressure is 35 kPSI.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Last edited by matt g; 01-01-2009 at 12:48 AM.

Old 01-01-2009, 04:08 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

If the gun explodes due to ammunition issues, GLOCK will not cover the repairs. It will be entirely up to you...

Old 01-07-2009, 06:23 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default You Can...just understand the (potential) risks.

I am not aware of any concern over properly reloaded ammunition with jacketed bullets. The concern is lead bullets.

The polygonal rifling of the Glock barrel can cause an greater degree of leading when not using jacketed bullets. Some schools of thought say that this increased leading could potentially cause a pressure spike, even with properly loaded ammunition and result in a kB. Concerns about poor case support in OEM Glock barrels increases the risk if you do experience a pressure spike from barrel leading (although most of the case support issues I know of are .40 calibers).

Some say lead is fine as long as you use hardcast manufactured bullets, and not soft homemade lead bullets. Others say lead is fine as long as you clean the barrel regularly after shooting sessions. And still others discount the concern over barrel leading and pressure spikes completely.

So one side of the argument says don't do it unless you buy an aftermarket barrel with traditional lans/grooves. The other side of the argument says shoot what you want. Glock itself doesn't weigh in except with the standard legalize, "The use of reloaded ammunition will void the Glock warranty, due to the unpredictability of the standards (SAMI/NATO) adhered to, since reloads of poor quality ammunition may not meet (SAMI/NATO) specifications, may exceed limits, and therefore may be unsafe."

I personally think there must be something to the concern, but I am not overly alarmist. I would probably be comfortable shooting hardcast lead bullets at standard pressures and cleaning my barrel at regular intervals.

Or course, what YOU do is a question you have to answer.

At Midway USA 500-count Remington 115 grain FMJ 9mm bullets cost about $55, and 500-count Hunters Supply Hard Cast 115 grain 9mm lead bullets cost about $45. I would probably pay the extra ten bucks with all others things being equal, and not worry about the kB risk. I don't personally reload so if this isn't as easy as buying the different bullets, then ignore my ignorance.

If my post doesn't meet your 2007/2008 facts/information only, then sorry. This issue significantly predates 2007/2008 and there has been no change in the technology of polygonal barrels or lead bullets. I had no luck finding brand new information while researching this topic, so I figured a recap of the known potential issues would be appropriate for other reading the post.

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Last edited by Bighead; 01-07-2009 at 06:41 AM.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:45 AM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

the manual that came with mine said DO NOT USE RELOADED AMMOin GLOCK factory barrels, so i never did it also says dont use lead ammo, so i didnt. i know you dont want opinions but heres mine anyways, dont go against what they say as it could be dangerous to your safety and the people around you. so make your own call on this one. no one here can give you facts on the subject better than the people at GLOCK. good luck in your search for knowledge though

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 01-07-2009, 07:08 AM   #6

It's all about quality control, if you are doing your own reloads and can be on top of the process, the quality of your powder and brass, etc you should have no issues just like the huge numbers of shooters who reload for themselves to save money or for accuracy.

The problems with reloads are almost always due to buying them from people who take short cuts or do not stay on top of the process and materials. Gun show reload ammo is the common cause of issues.

Also, every gun is different in what it can tolerate and what it cannot. As previously posted, the Glock is a bit of a special case due to it's construction and materials. You will need to allow for that in the inspection of your materials and the number of times you reload spent casings.

Gun makers will always have a reload ammo caveat in the warranty. This is because they cannot assume a set standard in the product. You are not a ammunition supplier who is required to conform to exact standards and specifications, hence they cannot warranty the use of your "product" in theirs. Should the gun fail using factory ammo they can assume it was most likely correctly made and the failure is in the weapon. If a reload causes the failure they have no way of knowing if the problem was too much powder, worn casing, poor QC in the powder makers factory, etc, etc.

‘‘War clouds were gathering rapidly. The sending of more than 3,000 British army regulars under Maj. Gen. Thomas Gage to Boston further exacerbated the imperial rift. When a column of these troops under Lt. Col. Francis Smith moved into the countryside to collect arms and munitions gathered by the patriot militia, hostilities erupted at Lexington and Concord on Apr. 19, 1775.’’ - The American Revolution Begins

Old 01-07-2009, 04:52 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Yes, all gunmakers have that caveat. Most will simply ignore it. GLOCK won't. If your gun blows up and you were using reloads, you'll have to pay for it to be fixed...

Old 01-07-2009, 06:05 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2692 Times on 1406 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Shooting lead bullets through a glock barrel is like running 87 octane through an engine that calls for 92 octane. Can you get away with it? Maybe. But if you have a problem, it will be expensive to fix.

Old 01-09-2009, 05:31 AM   #9

No opinions here---If you have to reload for a Glock,of any caliber,
take the prudent safety precaution of using an aftermarket barrel
that can handle not only lead but SAMI pressures........................
GLOCK BARRELS CAN NOT

Old 01-09-2009, 03:59 PM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by squib View Post
No opinions here---If you have to reload for a Glock,of any caliber,
take the prudent safety precaution of using an aftermarket barrel
that can handle not only lead but SAMI pressures........................
GLOCK BARRELS CAN NOT
What? Can you cite anything that says otherwise?