Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Broke my glock 17 magazine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2011, 04:44 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Broke my glock 17 magazine

I put about 700 rounds through my new glock pistol and thought I should clean the magazine, so i began to disassemble the floor plate by depressing the little round button on the bottom with a long screwdriver and pulling the floorplate forwards. The little button is now stuck inside the magazine and all i can see is part of the spring when i look through the hole.
Does Glock make a tool for magazine disassembley? Has anyone eles had this problem??? Any advice would be very apretiated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-18-2011, 05:14 AM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Yes, it is a round punch that fits inside the hole. There is an aftermarket tool "G-TUL" that is made to disassemble and clean Glock Magazines. It works very well. You may want to google it and pick one up, you may not have permanently damaged the magazine.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 11-18-2011, 01:18 PM   #3

The button that you depress on the base plate of the glock mags is designed to "catch." Your magazine is not broken, the button has simply caught. My gen4 mag has wings on the mag itself and notches on the base plate to hold it on after the button is depressed. You can slide the base plate off by pushing the corner of the mag base plate on a table or hard surface. If it still will not get past the wings on the mag, slide putty knives on either side between the mag walls and base plate and twist slightly to expand the base plate around the wings and slide off. It's not the easiest process, but if it was easy, what would prevent failure in the field?

Sent from my VS910 4G using FirearmsTalk

Old 11-20-2011, 05:50 AM   #4

So don't panic, as said above you just need to slide the baseplate off. Slide is not the best word though since it takes quite a bit of force. To get my mag base plates off I nearly had to put all my weight on the corner of it to try and budge it. You can (carefully) place it on a sharp edge and press the mag down to try and remove it that way.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:55 AM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The G-tul has a piece that slides onto the mag and depresses the little tabs, it is great. Before I got that, I usually wrapped a rag around the mag and used a large pair of channellocks and squeezed the mags in just a little bit on the long sides at the top to depress the tabs.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 11-20-2011, 06:00 AM   #6

Yes, for me it only seemed the first 3 or 4 removals were really difficult. I usually never use channel locks although that's a good idea.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:02 AM   #7

Liked 944 Times on 669 Posts
Likes Given: 932

I also doubt that you have damaged your magazine, you just have to push that insert with the "button" down a couple inches with a punch or Glock Tool then squeeze hard on the sides near the floor plate and press the floor plate against a solid surface to slide it off halfway - then get your thumb over the spring so it doesn't fly out as you finish sliding the plate off. It's very hard to do the first time but not so bad once you understand what you're doing. Look through YouTube videos for someone who knows what they're doing to watch how it's done.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:07 PM   #8

Thanx for the advise, my mag now works, but as cpbg26 and a few others said, it involved a bit of prying and was not easy, i might end up picking up the g-tul, but now that i know what im doing, i really dont think its needed