Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > breaking down the glock 19

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2008, 01:33 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default breaking down the glock 19

Does anyone have any tips for breaking this gun down. I always push it too far and then have to dry fire it to get it back. I find it very hard to break down and it hurts my hands. Does anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions on how to break down? I no longer shoot it as much as my other guns since I have a hard time taking it apart to clean.
Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-12-2008, 03:01 PM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Clear the gun. Remove the mag, clear the chamber. Make SURE it is unloaded.

Drop the slide, point in a safe direction and dry fire.

You are now holding the pistol in your shooting hand with a natural grip.

Use your off hand and hold the front of the slide/dustcover (the portion of the gun in front of the trigger guard). NOW, keep your shooting hand in place, but open your strong hand (keeping the web of you thumb against the tang of the frame).

Next, just rotate your strong hand 180 degrees and close it again over the back of the frame and slide.

Gently squeeze your strong hand and it will pull the slide back. It only needs to move 1mm to 3mm. While holding it here, use your off hand to pull down the takedown lever, and release your grip on the back of the slide. In the same movement, push the slide forward and it will come off easily.

I hope this makes sense and helps.

Old 12-12-2008, 03:35 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2262 Times on 1188 Posts
Likes Given: 155

What M14 said. It is called the Armorers grip. Very easy to manipulate the slide once you get this grip down. Does not take much strength or coordination.

Old 12-12-2008, 03:58 PM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I do mine totally different, but this may help you.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:57 PM   #5

Thanks, I'll try the way in the pic, I have not done it that way before. I don't know why, but I always seem to push it too far then it won't come off.
Thanks for your help.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:54 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Clear the gun. Remove the mag, clear the chamber. Make SURE it is unloaded.

Drop the slide, point in a safe direction and dry fire.

You are now holding the pistol in your shooting hand with a natural grip.

Use your off hand and hold the front of the slide/dustcover (the portion of the gun in front of the trigger guard). NOW, keep your shooting hand in place, but open your strong hand (keeping the web of you thumb against the tang of the frame).

Next, just rotate your strong hand 180 degrees and close it again over the back of the frame and slide.

Gently squeeze your strong hand and it will pull the slide back. It only needs to move 1mm to 3mm. While holding it here, use your off hand to pull down the takedown lever, and release your grip on the back of the slide. In the same movement, push the slide forward and it will come off easily.

I hope this makes sense and helps.
+1

Here is a link to a demonstration of this method:
http://www.glockworld.com/techcenter/field_strip.htm

Here is the grip you are looking for (man that velvet looking grip cover is ugly):

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill