Best Ammo for Glock 19?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Best Ammo for Glock 19?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2010, 05:21 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Best Ammo for Glock 19?

After some research, I believe that I am going to buy a Glock 19 for concealed carry. The question now is, What is the best ammo for the shooting range? I am looking for good quality, but cheap, and easy on the weapon. Also, what would the best ammo for self/home defense and concealed carry? Price isn't an issue when it comes to my family's life, so what 2 choices would you suggest?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-05-2010, 07:25 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I fire Federal 115 gr FMJ Champion ammo that Wal-Mart sells for 10.47/box of 50. (I also own a Glock 19, see below)

Not one single jam out of 400 rounds of using this ammo. It's exceptional ammo and the cheapest you'll find around. (It's just a pain in the ass to buy, cause Walmart is always sold out)

As for defense carry, I use Gold Dot 124 grain Hollowpoints. It was expensive, but you should expect to pay at the minimum about 1 dollar per round when it comes to GOOD self defense carry ammo.

I chose Gold Dot because my local law enforcement uses it and I've heard good things about it. Very accurate too. Cost me around 49.00 for a box of 50. (after taxes)

Old 10-05-2010, 03:13 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBSix View Post
After some research, I believe that I am going to buy a Glock 19 for concealed carry. The question now is, What is the best ammo for the shooting range? I am looking for good quality, but cheap, and easy on the weapon. Also, what would the best ammo for self/home defense and concealed carry? Price isn't an issue when it comes to my family's life, so what 2 choices would you suggest?
Excellent choice!!

Winchester Ranger or Gold dot's. GLOCKS RAWK!!!!!!!!

Old 10-05-2010, 04:12 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

With the hammer-forged barrel has a female type polygonal rifling with a right-hand twist you should not use unjacketed lead bullets. The lead would foul the barrel making the diameter smaller if you don't clean the lead out when you shoot FMJ you can get the KaBoom. I have seen a Glock barrel were that has happened. Glocks are great pistols I would use only FMJ bullets in this firearm. There is a warning in my Beretta 92 manual about lead bullets on page 20. I have looked in the Glock manual and have not seen that. HK has the same barrel I didn't see that in HK manual either.

“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent

Old 10-05-2010, 06:15 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Don't let James Bond up there scare you. (I don't understand why you would use only Full Metal Jackets in a Glock. Hollow Points shoot just fine too.)

Glocks do have a unique style of barrel rifling, but Ka-Booms are rare and will happen in ANY gun.

Yes, Glocks shouldn't use lead ammo, but to be honest, who uses unjacketed lead ammo anymore?...I've actually never even seen 9mm/40sw/45 acp lead ammo sold anywhere....

also, Handguns go Ka-Boom when people use "hot" reloads. Reloads with way too much powder in them. Ive never fired a reload in my entire life, so it hasn't been a problem to me. Here are some examples of Ka-Booms

XD

Sig

HK45C

Last edited by indyfan; 10-05-2010 at 06:18 PM.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:35 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
Don't let James Bond up there scare you. (I don't understand why you would use only Full Metal Jackets in a Glock. Hollow Points shoot just fine too.)

Glocks do have a unique style of barrel rifling, but Ka-Booms are rare and will happen in ANY gun.

Yes, Glocks shouldn't use lead ammo, but to be honest, who uses unjacketed lead ammo anymore?...I've actually never even seen 9mm/40sw/45 acp lead ammo sold anywhere....

also, Handguns go Ka-Boom when people use "hot" reloads. Reloads with way too much powder in them. Ive never fired a reload in my entire life, so it hasn't been a problem to me. Here are some examples of Ka-Booms

XD

Sig

HK45C
JHP will work to. I just said don't mix lead then jacketed without cleaning.

“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent

Old 10-05-2010, 06:41 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Lead bullets and polygonal rifling

Lead bullets and polygonal rifling
Polygonal rifling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This section may contain original research. Please improve it by verifying the claims made and adding references. Statements consisting only of original research may be removed. More details may be available on the talk page. (September 2009)
The manufacturer Glock advises against using lead bullets (meaning bullets not covered by a copper jacket) in their polygonally rifled barrels, which has led to a widespread belief that polygonal rifling is not compatible with lead bullets. Firearms expert and barrel maker, the late Gale McMillan, has also commented that lead bullets and polygonal rifling are not a good mix. Some have made a point of the fact that neither H&K nor Kahr explicitly recommend against lead bullets in their polygonal rifled barrels, and feel that it is probable that there is an additional factor involved in Glock's warning. However, Kahr's FAQ does include a warning that lead bullets can cause additional fouling[5] and recommends special attention to cleaning after using them. In addition, while H&K doesn't warn against the use of lead, at least one well-documented catastrophic incident in an H&K pistol[6] may be related to this issue. Furthermore, Dave Spaulding, well-known gun writer, reported in the February/March 2008 issue of Handguns Magazine that when he queried H&K about their polygonally rifled barrels that they commented: "It has been their experience that polygonal rifling will foul with lead at a greater rate than will conventional rifling."
One suggestion of what the "additional factor involved in Glock's warning" might be is that Glock barrels have a fairly sharp transition between the chamber and the rifling, and this area is prone to lead buildup if lead bullets are used. This buildup may result in failures to fully return to battery, allowing the gun to fire with the case not fully supported by the chamber, leading to a potentially dangerous case failure. However, since this sharp transition is found on most autopistols this speculation is of limited value. The sharp transition or "lip" at the front of the chamber is required to "headspace" the cartridge in most autopistols.
Another possible explanation is that there are different "species" of polygonal rifle and perhaps Glock's peculiar style of polygonal rifling may be more prone to leading than the particular styles employed in the H&K and Kahr barrels.
Leading is the buildup of lead in the bore that happens in nearly all firearms firing high velocity lead bullets. This lead buildup must be cleaned out regularly, or the barrel will gradually become constricted resulting in higher than normal discharge pressures. In the extreme case, increased discharge pressures can result in a catastrophic incident.
[edit]See also http://www.gunblast.com/RKCampbell_WC-Glocks.htm Do your Homework search the web you will find more on this.

http://www.kahr.com/OR-4.html#q4

Kahr Warning

Q. Which ammunition is recommended for use with Kahr firearms?

A. Kahr Arms does not endorse any particular brand of ammunition. However, not every brand of ammunition produces the same results. Please check the markings on the barrel hood of your firearm to determine the proper caliber. Kahr suggests a visit to a pistol range to test fire different brands of ammunition in the proper caliber. Kahr cautions against the use of reloads. Lead (unjacketed) bullets can cause excessive fouling and extra attention to cleaning the bore is recommended after firing lead bullets. The Kahr pistol is rated to +P.

Last edited by 007BondJamesBond007; 10-05-2010 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Add Link

Old 10-06-2010, 05:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBSix View Post
CorBon is always good stuff ! It is extremely good for self defense;which is why it is made. It is very powerful but a Glock will handle it with aplomb. You can rest assured that at the price of this stuff, you will not use enough of it for range practice to make any difference to your Glock !
Range use= Whatever jacketed ammo. you can find that is cheap ! Your Glock will eat anything----that is a Glock "claim to fame" !
Good shooting and enjoy that "GLOCK"---good decision ! !

Old 10-06-2010, 05:36 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 269 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default 9mm ammo

Plinking/Range work: 115gr FMJ Federal Champion, Winchester White Box, Blazer

Defensive Training: 124gr FMJ Federal American Eagle or RWS (my choice) to simulate stronger defense rounds

Defense/Carry: 124-127gr JHP Winchester Ranger 127gr +P+ (it really packs a punch, so it's not for everyone) is my favorite

Old 10-25-2010, 09:06 PM   #10

Again from an earlier post....
"I too agree. That is why one should seek profession instruction. If you buy a Big Bertha and your golf swing still sucks, you would go to a golf pro for help, right? get good amo, get good help and learn how to shoot. MANY people get a gun, go to a range and think they can shoot. after all everybody on TV knows how to hit between the eyes at 40 yards, can't be that difficult. Dont waste your money on cheap amo, you will just spend more time and money trying to figure out what you are doing wrong. That being said, don't just shoot a box of 50 rounds and think you are an expert. shoot alot and shoot often. Maybe when we clean house in D.C. amo prices will level out or maybe even go down, maybe, LOL

Another point is cheap "Range" amo can be quite inconsistent on its charge. besides being a PITA when it comes to learning how to shoot your new gun, might even void your warrantee.

Besides, what cost is your or your family's life if it come down to cheap amo in your gun and not knowing if it will work or not knowing where in the hell that bullet is going.

Spend your money wisely, chances are you did on the gun. Why start being cheap now?"