Anything better than Glock? - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Anything better than Glock?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 09:38 AM   #41
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
I think Glocks point so much better and truer than anything else. All other guns I've handled shoot really low.
In pistols I've run into that, too. Not real low, but low enough to disappoint me. I've got fairly large hands, and I find most pistols don't fill them as much as I would like. The Glock does a better job than most. In revolvers I prefer a deep, skinny grip with a decent palm swell. You won't find that on a pistol, so I have to resort to grip tape on many of them.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:10 AM   #42

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I like glocks due to their value. For the price range it is hard to get something as reliable, versatile and easy to maintain and upgrade. I own a 17, 19 and 21 and they are pretty good.
However, when you add features from high end pistols (maritime cups to shoot in wet environments, night sights, trigger job, steel recoil spring etc) you quickly run a tab of $200+ between an armorer's fee and parts.
I also have SIGs that offer the same reliability and features out of the box without upgrades.
i still think the glock is not the best first gun for a novice. It takes practice to control it as it is a very light gun. 9mm is ok, but .40 is hard.
In no shape or form I am saying this gun is better than another, just a few thoughts.
The world would be boring if all we had were glocks. John Browning design is still alive and kicking!

Old 03-19-2013, 02:32 AM   #43

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

XD,xdm,sig,H&K,CZ,S&W M&P are a few. Glocks are good guns but they are not the holly grail end all be all gun. Personally I don't care for them. I own one but I will never put them above everything elts.

It's really kind of sad when people think "Go Glock or go home" when they have no experience with anything elts.
towboater Likes This 
Old 03-21-2013, 03:42 AM   #44

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I own ELEVEN Glock weapons and have NEVER gad a failure with any of them.

Are they the "End All Be All" pistol out there?id say not. I love my Glocks.

I also own a SA XD 8mm, a Sig P220 & P226, M&P .45, M&P 9mm, .40, and M&P 357! SIG.

I bought the XD because my wife liked it. The plan WAS for her to shoot it, practice, and carry it daily. Didn't happen, so it stays in the safe, BUT I shoot her all the time because shesvjkniweight, fun, and 9mm is cheap to shoot.

I first used an M&P as an issued duty weapon in .45. When they went to .40 and eventually .357 SIG, we got the option to but the used ones cheap. I did. Granted, the .357 SIG weapons had magazine issues at first. We could be at the range firing and the mags would fall right out. New mags, problem solved. Once we were given the option to use our personal weapons as long as it was in .357 SIG, I bought a Gen 3 Glock 31 and haven't looked back. Overall, I like all my M&P pistols. I'm just glad they chose the models WITHOUT the external ambi-safeties.

As for my Sig weapons, there is no question. Sig is a DAMN good weapon. I carried a P220 in the military and it never failed.

I'm a Glock guy through and through. Don't get me wrong though:

IF I COULD CARRY MY COLT, WILSON COMBAT, SA, IR NIGHTHAWK 1911s at work, I WOULD. Unfortunately, my agency will only allow weapons in .357 SIG (although there is talk of going to .40 S&W, for which I have a Glock 22 ready!)

Let me out it this way:

My Glock, compared to a vehicle, is a brand new Toyota. The price is reasonable and definitely affordable. It is PROVEN RELIABLE (although there ARE some flukes and lemons in EVERYTHING). I know that when I need it, it will not let me down.

My 1911s are a 1967 Shelby GT Mustang or 1968 Yenko Camaro. EVERY GROWN MAN should get that pleasure. They are nearly every Man's dream; the badge of TRUE adult pistol ownership. They are an American legacy and dream.

I guess I said all that to say this:

If you love Glock weapons, buy another Glock. **** haters and own and use what makes you happy, comfortable. You ALREADY KNOW your Glock WON'T let you down. You know she'll ALWAYS be there for you and that you can do SO MANY things with her and to her.

From your posts and responses, you seem more set with Glock than the unknown. Go buy yourself a Glock 23 and a LoneWolf conversion barrel for 9mm and ENJOY IT!!!

God Bless, God Speed, and KEEP SHOOTING GLOCK!!!

Last edited by NM-LEO; 03-21-2013 at 04:16 AM.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-29-2013, 05:57 PM   #45
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4364 Times on 2425 Posts
Likes Given: 21993

Two or more Glocks.....................!

Old 03-29-2013, 07:13 PM   #46
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3863 Times on 2306 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Quote:
Originally Posted by dango View Post
Two or more Glocks.....................!
Akimbo style, maybe that is why your dango. People see you and say...daaaang!
600px-bb2glock17x2-2.jpg  

Old 03-29-2013, 07:30 PM   #47

Liked 31 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512
The S&W M&P has better ergonomics, to me, than the Glock, price is comparable, durability and reliability are about the same, and it's made in the USA.

What do I mean by better ergonomics:

- Grip is tacky, has a palm swell (like it was made for a human hand that might get bloody, sweaty, and/or greasy)

- Magazine release is easier to actuate

- Slide is easier to securely grip with a sweaty or greasy hand (I'm not sure how guys that have the nickel boron finish on their Glock slides get a grip because I have sometimes have problems with the normal finish on mine)

- Longer sight radius

- Picatinny accessory rail (means you don't have to have a separate SureFire X300 for your Glock and for your carbine)

- Beavertail (if you have fat hands you'll appreciate not having the slide bite you)

- Doesn't require a butt plug
I second this thought

Old 03-30-2013, 07:23 PM   #48
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1315 Times on 729 Posts
Likes Given: 572

I wanted to add that the one feature of the Glock that I really like is the plastic overmolded steel magazines. I think the magazines for the Glock are a little more durable than the thinner sheet steel equivalents that virtually every other gun uses. That's one feature that the Glock has that none of the other pistols I recommended have. I never worry about dumping my Glock magazines on concrete or stepping on them. I guess if you only use your Glock while standing stationary on a flat range, then that doesn't really matter.

The steel skeleton of the M&P really is a better design for rigidity and long term durability, irrespective of whether or not the Glock lasts a really long time (simple engineering fact, all other things being equal), and I wish Glock would incorporate a steel skeleton into the frame as it does with the magazines.

If nothing else, Glock really does need to modify the slide to permit a secure grip under less than ideal conditions.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:29 AM   #49

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512
The S&W M&P has better ergonomics, to me, than the Glock, price is comparable, durability and reliability are about the same, and it's made in the USA.

What do I mean by better ergonomics:

- Grip is tacky, has a palm swell (like it was made for a human hand that might get bloody, sweaty, and/or greasy)

- Magazine release is easier to actuate

- Slide is easier to securely grip with a sweaty or greasy hand (I'm not sure how guys that have the nickel boron finish on their Glock slides get a grip because I have sometimes have problems with the normal finish on mine)

- Longer sight radius

- Picatinny accessory rail (means you don't have to have a separate SureFire X300 for your Glock and for your carbine)

- Beavertail (if you have fat hands you'll appreciate not having the slide bite you)

- Doesn't require a butt plug
Glocks have the accessory rails, beavertail, basically the same sight radius and are MUCH EASIER to armor. Not saying Glock is better by any means, just get your facts straight. One thing I must say is that I despise the Glock trigger. The M and P trigger is so smooth! As with any weapon, proper training is a must. Honestly, I shoot way better with the Smith but carry the Glock, tried and true.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:24 AM   #50

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

SIGS are much better IMHO. Look at all the 40 Glocks with problems. My some bought a Glock 40 & has never ran a full mag without a FTF usually a stove pipe. I've never had a FTF with any of 3 Sigs,

Closed Thread