Anything better than Glock? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Anything better than Glock?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 08:15 PM   #31
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8590 Times on 4962 Posts
Likes Given: 11152

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGlockOrGoHome View Post
I only dismiss revolvers because I like the fact of being able to hold 10 rounds and reload extremely fast with magazines.
But I DO like that they tend to be extremely reliable.

Okay,
So thanks to all of you guys I'm starting to look at a few S&W, Sigs and Rugers.
I was under the impression that nothing was as reliable as a glock, but I see now that I'm wrong.
It looks like there are plenty out there that are just as reliable or better.
So thank you all for your input.
Ill keep y'all updated on what I go with!
Once you try some of these you will absolutely hate the Glock trigger. Sucks on ice.

I would also highly recommend shooting a few revolvers if you haven't done so already before you dismiss them.

Quote:
Oh, and I've looked an can't seem to find an "intro" or "new member" thread to introduce myself.

So hi. I'm a new member.
The introductions section is the second one down when you are on the forum home page. It is labeled "Introductions". Or here is a link. http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f2/

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:07 PM   #32
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post

Once you try some of these you will absolutely hate the Glock trigger. Sucks on ice.

I would also highly recommend shooting a few revolvers if you haven't done so already before you dismiss them.

The introductions section is the second one down when you are on the forum home page. It is labeled "Introductions". Or here is a link. http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f2/
I have shot Rugers, S&Ws and Springfields - none of which has made me hate my Glock trigger. As a matter of fact, I think the Ruger trigger pull is worse.

"Just because I ain't sayin' it, don't mean I ain't thinking it"

Old 02-26-2013, 11:09 PM   #33

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:

I only dismiss revolvers because I like the fact of being able to hold 10 rounds and reload extremely fast with magazines.
But I DO like that they tend to be extremely reliable.

Okay,
So thanks to all of you guys I'm starting to look at a few S&W, Sigs and Rugers.
I was under the impression that nothing was as reliable as a glock, but I see now that I'm wrong.
It looks like there are plenty out there that are just as reliable or better.
So thank you all for your input.
Ill keep y'all updated on what I go with!
Check out the Handgun Magazine TV show, over the last few weeks they have been putting the Springfield XD9 through some pretty extreme tests and it stills performs as expected. Like I said before, my next gun will prob be an XD, after I get my G23 that is.

"Just because I ain't sayin' it, don't mean I ain't thinking it"

Last edited by audiophile; 02-26-2013 at 11:59 PM.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:12 PM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1895 Times on 1295 Posts
Likes Given: 713

Anything that actually has an external hammer so it can be fired in single action.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 03-05-2013, 05:24 AM   #35

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

Can't say it's better for lack of shooting one yet myself but there's a new company from the middle east(U.A.E.), with a similar metal/polymer slide/frame setup called a Caracal. The gun comes in F(full) and C(compact) 9mm versions comparable to a G17 & G19 respectively. Claims less parts for even easier takedown and lower bore axis(more natural grip) for $100 cheaper than glocks versions. My only discrepancy is the company is relatively new and therefore unproven for long term or extended wear. If you see one you could rent at your LGS that would be better. Personally love my Gen 3 G17 and wouldn't mind adding a G21 and or G19 but not until I get my hands on a 1911. Fell in love with a Springfield operator in Od green/black. If you don't have a 1911 I would suggest that route...

Old 03-05-2013, 05:27 AM   #36

Surprised no one beat me to it.

image-2013240485.jpg

Old 03-05-2013, 05:32 AM   #37

The Caracal F.

image-3806767852.jpg

Old 03-05-2013, 06:52 AM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 502

Let's see:

Pistols that are comparable with a Glock:

S&W M&P - better ergonomics in no uncertain terms for human shooters, similar reliability and durability to a Glock, and price is about the same or slightly higher. If there's an import ban on normal capacity semi-autos, S&W would be the big winner.

USP - Very shootable pistol (stays put in your hands during rapid fire), less perceived recoil than the Glock but mostly just a different type of impulse, better trigger, better sights (out of the box, not talking aftermarket), but more expensive and parts are harder to come by. I shot mine enough that I needed new parts, but not everyone will. Still kick myself every so often for selling it. Thousands and thousands of rounds and I can think of perhaps one or two malfunctions and those were probably cheap ammo.

FNX - Again, a shootable pistol. Smooth operation, full ambi controls (I guess lots of people are right handed but I shoot using both hands every trip to the range), really long trigger pull in DA, sights are completely usable from the box.

Caracal - Have handled but not fired one of these. Has the same Glock problems but a better grip. Even harder to grab the slide than the Glock, small mag release, Glocky trigger.

So, how does the Glock design rate in the grand scheme of things:

I've never had any problems shooting a Glock or any other pistol I've picked up, but that's just me. The Glock trigger wasn't meant to win marksmanship competitions, the grip leaves something to be desired, and the sights from the box are not the best. I wish someone would strangle whomever thought the finger grooves were a good idea. The lack of a Picatinny rail in this day and age is perplexing. I have to have a SureFire dedicated to my Glock because of that design "feature". SureFire has enough of my money as is. The slide really should have a better gripping surface. The other stuff is nit picking, but not being able to easily obtain a secure purchase on the slide is an actual design fault vs design style/preference thing. I currently have a G17 Gen 4 and I rate the magazine release as an improvement over Gen 3. My wife is wrong handed so the reversible release is a requirement for her use. The Gen 4 grip texture is better than previous Gens for a secure grip, but it has nothing on the M&P.

I have a Glock because it's a simple, cheap, reliable tool that does the job.

The human friendly features built into the M&P trump it in every way, but I couldn't nab the M&P at the time my wife wanted to go shopping for a new pistol because they were sold out at the local funshop. I couldn't tell you what the long term durability of a plastic fantastic is because I buy one new or lightly used, shoot the crap out of it for a year or two, sell it, and get a new one. People go through cars that cost 15-25K every few years or so and balk at purchasing a new $600 piece of combat tupperware because they wonder about whether or not the gun will outlive their grandchildren, shoot as well as a custom 1911, and be more reliable than an AK. With the amount of money I've spent on ammo, I could easily buy several pistols from a couple different manufacturers during the two years or so that I'll hold onto it, but I'd rather shoot stuff than worry about whether or not I've bought the "best" pistol.

In short, any of the pistols that the posters recommended is a suitable alternative to a Glock and if you're really that worried about reliability you can always get another Glock.

I can't believe Glock is on DPRC's approved handgun list. Feinstein surely would not approve.

Old 03-14-2013, 05:05 PM   #39

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512
Let's see:

Pistols that are comparable with a Glock:

S&W M&P - better ergonomics in no uncertain terms for human shooters, similar reliability and durability to a Glock, and price is about the same or slightly higher. If there's an import ban on normal capacity semi-autos, S&W would be the big winner.

USP - Very shootable pistol (stays put in your hands during rapid fire), less perceived recoil than the Glock but mostly just a different type of impulse, better trigger, better sights (out of the box, not talking aftermarket), but more expensive and parts are harder to come by. I shot mine enough that I needed new parts, but not everyone will. Still kick myself every so often for selling it. Thousands and thousands of rounds and I can think of perhaps one or two malfunctions and those were probably cheap ammo.

FNX - Again, a shootable pistol. Smooth operation, full ambi controls (I guess lots of people are right handed but I shoot using both hands every trip to the range), really long trigger pull in DA, sights are completely usable from the box.

Caracal - Have handled but not fired one of these. Has the same Glock problems but a better grip. Even harder to grab the slide than the Glock, small mag release, Glocky trigger.

So, how does the Glock design rate in the grand scheme of things:

I've never had any problems shooting a Glock or any other pistol I've picked up, but that's just me. The Glock trigger wasn't meant to win marksmanship competitions, the grip leaves something to be desired, and the sights from the box are not the best. I wish someone would strangle whomever thought the finger grooves were a good idea. The lack of a Picatinny rail in this day and age is perplexing. I have to have a SureFire dedicated to my Glock because of that design "feature". SureFire has enough of my money as is. The slide really should have a better gripping surface. The other stuff is nit picking, but not being able to easily obtain a secure purchase on the slide is an actual design fault vs design style/preference thing. I currently have a G17 Gen 4 and I rate the magazine release as an improvement over Gen 3. My wife is wrong handed so the reversible release is a requirement for her use. The Gen 4 grip texture is better than previous Gens for a secure grip, but it has nothing on the M&P.

I have a Glock because it's a simple, cheap, reliable tool that does the job.

The human friendly features built into the M&P trump it in every way, but I couldn't nab the M&P at the time my wife wanted to go shopping for a new pistol because they were sold out at the local funshop. I couldn't tell you what the long term durability of a plastic fantastic is because I buy one new or lightly used, shoot the crap out of it for a year or two, sell it, and get a new one. People go through cars that cost 15-25K every few years or so and balk at purchasing a new $600 piece of combat tupperware because they wonder about whether or not the gun will outlive their grandchildren, shoot as well as a custom 1911, and be more reliable than an AK. With the amount of money I've spent on ammo, I could easily buy several pistols from a couple different manufacturers during the two years or so that I'll hold onto it, but I'd rather shoot stuff than worry about whether or not I've bought the "best" pistol.

In short, any of the pistols that the posters recommended is a suitable alternative to a Glock and if you're really that worried about reliability you can always get another Glock.

I can't believe Glock is on DPRC's approved handgun list. Feinstein surely would not approve.
Well written and stated. Like any firearm, training is the key. Don't let my screen name fool you, it took me a long time to enjoy the Glock. My favorite thing about the Glock line is the ease of armoring. Problems with the Glock are EASILY fixed. The rest of the Glock's performace is just a big bonus.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:19 AM   #40

Look at the Smith M&P. My M&P 45acp is real close to the Glock 21.

Closed Thread