Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Anything better than Glock?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 02:32 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1749 Times on 904 Posts
Likes Given: 347

I'd take the Ruger 'SR' series over a Glock any day:

- made in USA (used to mean something to Americans)
- accuracy of Rugers is better from what I have seen
- Glocks cost more
- Glocks look ugly as sin

other than that, I'd take a Glock lol

Old 02-25-2013, 02:37 PM   #12

Liked 32 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 42

My agency went through a T&E about 2-3 years back when looking for a new duty gun. Several manufacturers submitted guns and they all went through the same fairly extensive testing process. Most of the guns passed and went on to the selection process so it really came down to preference and universal appeal (ergos, controls, etc.). The M&P won the contract of my department but Sig, Beretta, H&K, etc. all produced excellent guns that were at least equal to the Austrian wonder gun. On an interesting side note, the Gen4 Glocks failed the test and were removed from consideration (although Glock has redesigned the redesign a few times since then). The 3rd Gen Glocks passed with flying colors. There is no perfect gun and there is no holy grail. Marketing, price point, availability and brand loyalty have more to do with a guns market success than anything else. Glock just figured this out faster than other companies, but other companies are catching up very quickly. Right now during this panic FNH is selling guns like mad. That will no doubt result in a major increase in their fan base when we come out the other side of it. Ruger is also really coming along and is responding to what the market wants. In the end there are so many guns equal to the Glock that it would be hard to list them all.

Last edited by Sentry18; 02-25-2013 at 02:42 PM. Reason: I no can grammar too day...

Old 02-25-2013, 04:43 PM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Mega
How about CZ's? I am a Glock guy. Shot many pistol brands and calibers haven't shot a CZ though and a buddy swears by it as the pistol to have if you only have one. How are CZ's? Pros and cons?
CZ makes a lot of great guns. The 75 line is known to be one of the best 9mm handguns out there and many will say it is THE best. And they make both a polymer and steel version. It functions like a dream and has the looks to boot. Of course looks are subject to opinions, but for me a satin nickel CZ 75B is one of the best looking guns out there. I believe they discontinued that finish though. Your friend isn't blowing smoke up your ass, it wouldn't be my pick for only one, but I'm sure many would have the same opinion he has. I just personally would keep my 357 revolver.

Last edited by Baxter; 02-25-2013 at 04:49 PM.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:04 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3858 Times on 2304 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

I think the HK USP is a better polymer gun. Better materials and none of the extra learning like how not to shoot low and to the left. I see newbies do it all the time. Or, people getting brass in the face. Also misfires if forced to make a shot limp wristed. I like the various carry options that a USP offers. Also USP does not get the infamous pig nose effect. USPs spring is much better than a Glock. My .40 has very little recoil. I fired the gen4 G22, and it does have more recoil. This does not matter to me, but it might for others. The Glock is better for people with small hands and it is cheaper. It is a little heavier, but that stops the limp wrist misfires. Both have same type of railing and three dot sights. The USP does not have the cheap breakable sights like a Glock. The USP's sights ride higher than a Glock, but I like this more for some reason. Personally, I am more accurate with the USP. Nothing wrong with a Glock and I would recommend for some people. I recommend a Glock 19 for my mother who lives in Texas. I owned a Glock 17 back in the Earlier 90's, but would not want to buy another one with better pistols out there. This is my opinion though so no haters please.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:32 PM   #15
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 697 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 729

I moved this thread to the Glock section where it will be better appreciated.

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 02-26-2013, 07:13 AM   #16

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdku
I moved this thread to the Glock section where it will be better appreciated.
I wasn't trying to create a thread claiming glock is "the best".

All I'm looking for are recommendations for pistols that are equally reliable and durable...

I want to buy another pistol and wanted to try something new.

Which is why I didn't post this in the "Glock" section...because I wanted opinions from non-glock users (or from people that aren't biased towards glock).
This thread belongs in a general firearm forum, but thanks, I guess.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:25 AM   #17
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7729 Times on 4462 Posts
Likes Given: 9975

Glocks have no life or warmth to them. Utilitarian tools that do what they are supposed to. I hate the lack of balance, I hate the trigger. But I still own one. I rarely take it out to shoot it on a trip to the range for fun (even though I usually bring it.)

What are you looking for? Something you can take to the range and enjoy shooting? Marksmanship? Something unusual?

I really love shooting old single action revolvers. Also love shooting 1911s, though I don't yet own one. Love my double actions as well. The .22 rimfire has its merits, have some in single action revolver and a Ruger 22/45. Both are a blast to shoot and cheap to boot!

So, whats your fancy Mr. GoGlockOrGoHome? (Odd that someone with that username would be looking for something else. Just sayin'.)

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
People Like This 
Old 02-26-2013, 07:34 AM   #18
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 873 Times on 581 Posts
Likes Given: 223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
In 1982, Glocks were innovative. In 2013, they aren't anything special.
Sorry.
They are tried and true. They are also one of the few offering the 10mm in the steel Tupperware blend.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:51 AM   #19

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad
Glocks have no life or warmth to them. Utilitarian tools that do what they are supposed to. I hate the lack of balance, I hate the trigger. But I still own one. I rarely take it out to shoot it on a trip to the range for fun (even though I usually bring it.)

What are you looking for? Something you can take to the range and enjoy shooting? Marksmanship? Something unusual?

I really love shooting old single action revolvers. Also love shooting 1911s, though I don't yet own one. Love my double actions as well. The .22 rimfire has its merits, have some in single action revolver and a Ruger 22/45. Both are a blast to shoot and cheap to boot!

So, whats your fancy Mr. GoGlockOrGoHome? (Odd that someone with that username would be looking for something else. Just sayin'.)
Haha, yes "GoGlockOrGoHome" will be "going home" with a pistol other than a glock, lol.

What I'm looking for isssss..
1. Extremely reliable (goes bang EVERY time & will last a lifetime)
2. Extremely durable (can take a beating)
3. A caliber that is 9mm or larger (the bigger the better)

What I DONT want issss...
1. A revolver
2. Anything with more than 10 round capacity (CA law)

What is NOT a factor or what is NOT important to me isssss...
1. Looks (I don't care if its ugly)
2. Price (ill pay whatever for a pistol that meets these needs)

So far I haven't found anything that meets this criteria except Glock.
But then again, I'm brand new to firearms. So I know diddly squat!
Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 02-26-2013, 12:21 PM   #20

Liked 1725 Times on 1109 Posts
Likes Given: 877

Sig P-239.
Should meet all your criteria.

But it does seem that you've ask the good folks here for advice, yet dismiss every suggestion merely because they don't answer "Glock".
We must have mistakenly assumed you were interested in another make.
We apologise.

Last edited by boatme98; 02-26-2013 at 12:28 PM.

Closed Thread